IOW sailing race.

DUNKS

13 minutes ago, Down South said:

My son in law is out there, experienced crew, sea worthy boat, they retired, wind was reaching 40 knots as they approached the Needles. Wise decision. It’s supposed to be fun not survival!

Good decision 😊👍

it’s a long way from the needles to the next safe haven 

Looks as if he is carrying on. Well round the needles and approaching where he came to grief last year. I can only guess what it's like. I am no stranger to rough weather at sea.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, i know you were at Sea like my Dad have you ever read Peoples War Stories on the BBC Web site

No I will have a look. I had three brothers fought in the war. One Navy and Russian convoys in a corvette. One getting shot up in the Pacific by the japs. he was on a carrier, and the other one was in Palestine and an RAF engineer My dad was a silly sailor in the first world war. All came home physically unscathed. Paul "at present on his boat" is a retired RAF fast jet pilot. You might say as a family we have done our bit.😄

Edited by DUNKS

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

No I will have a look. I had three brothers fought in the war. One Navy and Russian convoys in a corvette. One getting shot up in the Pacific by the japs. he was on a carrier, and the other one was in Palestine and an RAF engineer My dad was a silly sailor in the first world war. All came home physically unscathed. Paul "at present on his boat" is a retired RAF fast jet pilot. You might say as a family we have done our bit.😄

Hello, if you PM me with your email addy i can forward what my sister put on there

Posted (edited)

Well the race is over but don't yet know the placings, looks as if they all got home safe. Only 180 boats finished out of over 900 entered although some classes were not allowed to race due to the conditions. My lad will be chuffed to bits, as am I.

Edited by DUNKS
correction

6 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if you PM me with your email addy i can forward what my sister put on there

Thanks for that. Very interesting. I only wish I had his memory. My dad did serve on a coaler. Hard to imagine how hard it was. Lot of real men about then. Regards.

3 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Well the race is over but don't yet know the placings, looks as if they all got home safe. Only 62 boats finished out of over 900 entered although some classes were not allowed to race due to the conditions. My lad will be chuffed to bits, as am I.

Glad he’s back safely 😊👍

All over now, boat back in harbour. Only two boats in our lads class finished and he and his two crew were treated like hero's last night in the pub. He says the day really was awful. "Just like being in a washing machine."

Well done to your lad. I saw an AIS track with 70% of the fleet going the wrong way as they tried to retire. Lots of bad press about the calls to the RNLI. Great stuff and exciting no doubt.  😁👍

26 minutes ago, oowee said:

Well done to your lad. I saw an AIS track with 70% of the fleet going the wrong way as they tried to retire. Lots of bad press about the calls to the RNLI. Great stuff and exciting no doubt.  😁👍

There are several good videos of the race. Glad I am too old.