Whippets!

Hi folks

We're thinking about getting a dog. My family have had collies and retrievers before, but we have two small children now so I was vaguely thinking about a spaniel or something a bit smaller. My wife thinks spaniels are too hairy, and is leaning towards a whippet - partly because our neighbouring farmer has some lovely whippet puppies, but mainly because they don't shed much hair, apparently. I thought whippets would need a lot of exercise, but it seems they need a good run around, then lots of sleep!

Anyone have whippets? Are they OK with children, are they hairy, and do they take a lot of looking after? As I'm pretty sure it'll be me who ends up doing the latter...

Cheers. 

I kept a Kc reg Whippet a few years ago and was a brilliant working dog both day and night.

My uncle, bred whippets, when I was a kid and I would always accompany him on his Sunday morning walk before dinner with 2 whippets and a few terriers.

They are brilliant little dogs and his would catch rats and rabbits effortlessly.

Don’t be put off by their size and coat as they are very tough little dogs and are great with kids and family, and will happily settle down in the home.

Mine was in the kennel along with the old lurcher I kept and was no trouble at all.

The whippet , was stock broken and would catch rats amongst my mate’s chickens, but it did have a tendency to chase big fluffy cats , which was really annoying.

My whippet dog was roughly 21” to the shoulder.

This was “Jack” at 2 years old.

IMG_0563.jpeg

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Thanks folks, all useful stuff. So they don't leave shed loads of hair everywhere? (Our golden retriever certainly did that, carpets of it - possibly because she wasn't brushed a lot...)

Whippets do shed hair but nothing like other dogs, and do feel the cold in the colder months.

Mine was a working dog, and never wore a dog coat and worked in all weather.

The whippets coat is very thin and tight.

My spaniels at the moment are shedding loads , no matter how much I brush them.

I would definitely recommend a whippet, and mine was a quiet unassuming little dog at home, but once out in the field, and working he was a very different little dog and just wanted to please you, catching rabbits.

My Dog walker friend used to walk a Whippet every day till ,sadly,cancer took the poor creature. He was such an amazing Dog, gentle as a Lamb but he would join in with all the activities that other Dogs are better known for - he would retrieve a ball or search long grass for a hidden treat. If you are lucky enough to find a similar Dog you will have something that will bring you nothing but pleasure.

On 01/07/2024 at 11:30, Shambam1962 said:

I kept a Kc reg Whippet a few years ago and was a brilliant working dog both day and night.

My uncle, bred whippets, when I was a kid and I would always accompany him on his Sunday morning walk before dinner with 2 whippets and a few terriers.

They are brilliant little dogs and his would catch rats and rabbits effortlessly.

Don’t be put off by their size and coat as they are very tough little dogs and are great with kids and family, and will happily settle down in the home.

Mine was in the kennel along with the old lurcher I kept and was no trouble at all.

The whippet , was stock broken and would catch rats amongst my mate’s chickens, but it did have a tendency to chase big fluffy cats , which was really annoying.

My whippet dog was roughly 21” to the shoulder.

This was “Jack” at 2 years old.

IMG_0563.jpeg

That photo has just took me back 40 odd years ! he is the spitting image of the best dog I have ever owned Rocky ! 

my present dog is black pedigree whippet we fetched from  Swansea and he don't like cats,

the first time I ever saw some one shoot a pigeon and dog retrieve it was 70 years ago and it was a black whippet bitch,

very loving and bide able dogs also intelligent .