Any Recipes needed

cooky

OK, here's an old recipe for you, Ollie

"The fox provides a strongly flavoured, coarse meat which if not suitably prepared can barely be described as palatable. Only the young foxes are worth eating, and the only parts of any value are the saddle and the hind legs. The liver must not be used as this is of a a most disagreeable flavour. An acceptable dish may be prepared thus:

Take one young fox and fillet the saddle and hind quarters. Cut into fair size pieces approximately one inch in size, and wash in several waters. Allow the to lie in a quart of ale or stout overnight, the action of which will serve to tenderise the meat.

Romove the meat from the stout, roll in coarse flour and fry briefly until it is nicely browned. Place the meat in a suitable sized dish with a pint of water, bay leaves, onion and carrot. Season with salt, pepper and sage, then cover the dish with a sutiable suet crust.

Set in a moderate oven. Time taken to cook 2 1/2 hours. Serves 4 persons. Approximate cost unknown as foxes rarely being sold"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Evilv, I done a load of Bunny Burgers for one of the many BBQ's we all get together on, it was partly guess work but went something like this.

Lapin Hache d'Axe (Axe's Bunny Burger)

Ingredients

2 Rabbits

1lb Pork Belly

2 Large Onions

1 Large handful of chopped prunes

1 Tablespoon of paprika

2 Teaspoons of dried Rosemary

1 Large Handful of Suet

1 Large handful of bread crumbs

Salt & Pepper

Method

Finely chop and gently fry the onions until golden brown. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Fillet and mince the rabbits along with the pork belly. Add the cooled onions, prunes, paprika, rosemary, suet, salt, pepper and mix well, adding the breadcrumbs a little at a time to get the right consistency. If the mix is too dry add a little olive oil, if the mix is too wet add more breadcrumbs.

Taking a handful of the mixture gently pat round and flatten to create a 3/4 thick burger about 4 inches in diameter. This should make roughly 16-18 burgers. Leave in the fridge to set a little then cook on the BBQ or grill as you would any ordinary thick burger.

Place cooked burger in a bap or burger bun topped with the usual accompliments, add a sprinkling of friends and a good jug of Harveys Best real ale and savour the moment as you shout cheers and bite into the burger.

A few more ideas I am going to try next time:

Mexican Bunny Burger:

Replace the prunes with kidney beans and add a 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder or cayenne pepper.

Indian Bunny Burger:

Replace the prunes and paprika with chick peas and garam masala and add 2 teaspoons of cumin, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1inch of grated ginger, 2 cloves of grated garlic

All this is making me hungry, anyone fancy a BBQ?

Regards,

Axe. :(

Edited by Axe

Ah - thanks Axe.

I tried something not to far from that the other day. They were rather good.

I filleted the bunny, and added two filleted lamb chops to the mix along with a fried onion, a slice of fried bread, a teaspoonful of garlic puree, a handful of corriander leaves and salt and pepper.

I was very pleasd with the result - rather like and good quality burger. Doing some more tomorrow when the rabbit is defrosted. I've been a bit lazy lately and just dropped the paunched bunnies in the freezer in a black bag 'avec' skin, feet and head... LOL. Don't know about you lot, but I don't always have th time to peel and wash them right away, and have had a few go very off before I got to them. This way, Ijust defrost overnight in the garage and do the job when convenient.

Thanks again for the info Axe. I must have twenty bunnies in the freezer and nee to get them eaten.

Further to another of our conversations about using the rabbits up. I'm swapping some to a guy who fishes, but doesn't eat the rainbow trout he catches. Luckily for me, he's been buying Chinese farmed rabbits and is more than happy to trade....

Hi EvilV,

The burgers went down a treat, SNAKEBITE couldnt get enough of them and took the remaining uncooked burgers home. (If I recall correctly) Mind you, the 'ole boy seems to have hollow legs, and will always finish everything round the BBQ.

You've struck gold with your mate and his trout. If only I could find a trade off like this. Why isnt there a smiley with a green face! :D

After having been watching the Saturday Kitchen Shown alot, I noticed that Keith Floyd has an abundance of Rabbit recipes. He did a tour of spain and Italy cooking local dishes etc and alot of this was Rabbit. I would suggest getting over to the BBC Food website to check out if these are on there. If not see if you can pick up one of his books. Most of the receipes were in the pot for several hour recipes were damn mouth watering. Lots of paprika garlic and of course the Keith Floyd wine!

Anyway, if you cant get hold of anything, gimme a shout and i'll see if I can find some more for you!

If you try the burger variations out, let me know what you think of them, as I thought of them as I was tyyping up my recipe and as of yet, have not tried them out.

Happy eating.

Axe.

Cheers mate. And thanks again.

I'm just making some now. I have a butchered lamb off the farm - not bought you understand which would break EU law - call it a 'present' from a farmer mate. I gave him a present of £60 a week or two ago - funny how nice he was to give me a lamb all bagged up eh... and I'm using the less choice cuts like the Lap (ribs and bits) to grind up with the bunnies. I got six half pound bags off one side of ribs - enough to go with half a dozen rabbits. Pork or fatty lamb probably makes little odds, when what we're really after is some tasty fat to go with the ultra lean rabbit meat. Anyway, when I've exhausted all of this, I'll try the pork instead.

See ya...