Remember

al4x

Early in the year a guy killed a police firearms guy with a legally held .222

Just reading the news from the inquest the guy was on bail for beating his girlfriend up. Surely someones head should be on the block over this somehow despite having a violent history he managed to keep his firearms and ticket

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

No doubt somebody will come along and say there were technical problems with the new Firearms IT system and the Police Nation Computer interface and staff training issues will be addressed and 'lessons' will be learned and blah blah blah.

We could always just ban all FAC's and SGC's. That will make everyone safer, heh?

not at all but what my local force does is if you get involved in a violent domestic incident they come round and collect your guns straight away. You get them back when you're innocent / proove you will behave yourself. After all the firearms ticket is more a priviledge than a right.

I know of a chap that has been found guilty on two separate occasions of Actual Bodily Harm, the second offence was a road rage incident where he attacked a man and wife.

He still has an open FAC and SGC.............................don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Interesting how things differ from case to case, county to county.

An FLO acquaintance of mine recounted the story of a guy with an FAC who was going through a traumatic divorce. His GP concerned about his state of mind and knowing guns were in the house tipped off the relevant Constabulary. My guy was sent straight round with two uniformed officers and confiscated 25+ cf,rf rifles and shotguns. The individual cooperated but apparently wept buckets and pleaded witht them "don't take my babies".

According to the FLO it was the most disturbing thing he had ever witnessed and he had knocked about a bit in his time c/o HM Forces.

I thought that both and SGC and an FAC _were_ a right, but that you had to exhibit good reason to own items under FAC?

I could be wrong on that one, but I could have sworn I saw something about it on the BASC website...

My understanding is that SGC is a right, but FAC is a privilege - hence the need to show good reason for FAC whereas there is no such requirement, despite what your FEO may ask of you, for SGC.

Like others, I've heard of my local police taking guns away as soon as they hear of domestics, crime, threats, etc.

Thats what seems so wrong in this case. Its in fact worrying that its gone wrong in this case as its an event that IMHO shouldn't have happened. Its just more bad press for legally held guns and once again its a system failure that has meant someone who shouldn't have had guns has been able to commit a pretty horrific crime.