Greenfields, Kent.

Rookie

Hello.

About 5 month's ago when i was in the market for a new shotgun, i did what most normal people do and go around local gunshop's to have a look at some different guns and try to see what you like and get on with. I had around £1000 as a budget, which i thought was a sensible one.

My First stop was at Greenfields in Kent. I went with a friends who is also a shooter and holds a SGC. We arrived at Greenfields and entered the shop. There was not a single customer in the shop when we arrived and no one entered whilst we were there, so the shopkeeper had no one else to give his attention to. He was a fairly short, and portley fellow who on first apperences, looked as if he was a frienly chap.... how wrong we were :) ...

We both introduced ourselves and i explained my situation and budget.

Without a moment to consider the facts, he proceded to say the following;

"I dont want to waste my time, and have nothing for you."

With that, he turned his back on us and said no more.

Needless to say, we were both shocked, and upset at his sheer ignorance and rudness.

We left the shop, and horrified, left the site.

We then traveled to Ashford which is home to "Ashford Gun's and Tackle".

WOW!..... what a difference.

We entered the shop and were imediatley made to feel welcome, even though the shop had already several people in.

A bit of time was spent looking around at the vast number of guns on display and when a member of staff was free, they came over to introduce themselves. We then introduced ourselves, and again i explained my situation and budget. The chap was very polite, patient and helpfull. He proceded to show me a good few guns, both new and second-hand, aswell as giving me some usefull tips as to what to look for when looking for a shotgun. What more could you ask for?

I may be ranting at nothing here, but surely the idea of a salesman is to be patient, polite and helpful to the customer, and therefor make a sale. I wouldn't have minded if said fellow from Greenfields had explained, that at the moment he currently had nothing in my price range to suite, and maybe to try again shortly, but no, i just got a short, rude answer.

Needless to say i have not returned to Greenfields and do not have any intention to.

I later went on to purchase my current shotgun from "Ashford Gun's and Tackle" and was delighted. I now shop for all of my shooting related goods from there.... i can not reccomend them enough!

I really do hope i have not offended anyone by this post, but i have noticed a few of you fellow Kent based shooters have mentioned Greenfields in previous post's and i wondered if any of you have had a similar situation?

I feel if you dont drive a Range Rover, and have less than £5000 to spend on a shotgun, you are not welcome at Greenfields at all.

Thankyou for your time,

R.

Edited by Rookie

Ashford Guns and Tackle is upstairs at KWG Kent Woolgrowers Tannery Lane Nr the Stour Centre.

They have been my Gun Dealers for years and like Rookie I can honestly say that the service is very good, friendly and they are certainly not out to fleece anyone.

Well worth a run over, they hold a large stock of both new and used guns.

I dont know if Ive broken any rules here but the info is useful and no harm to give them a big up?

:) D2D

Thanks for the reply's...

I was tempted to say something, but as he clearly had no interest, i just thought i would leave.

It's a shame, because from what i'v heard they have a lovely clay range there and i would have been very interested to go along and have a shoot with the local lad's, but out of principle, i dont think i will return.

Edited by Rookie

I go to greenfields in kent fairly regularly, there are 2 short portly fellows who work there an older one with hair and a slightly younger bald one. I've always found both to be fairly friendly and give good advice. Sounds like he was having a bad day, shouldn't have taken it out on you but every one has a stress every now and then.

I used to shop at hythe gun sports when it was open, untill i decided to boycott them. The owner sold me a shotgun with a crack in the stock complete with a dodgy repair (a small screw) eventually several years later i wanted to part exchange it for a different gun and was told that "i wouldn't have a gun with a repair like that in my shop" when i pointed out i brought it from him like that (i didn't repair it), he went mental and we had a shouting match across the shop floor, having been a well known regular customer of his for the previous 10 years i was quite ****** off, and started using Ashford & greenfields dispite having to travel an extra 10 miles or so. I'ld recomend both Ashford & Greenfields.

he would have deffinately had some chosen words off me ,(bit chopsy when i want to be).would have had to let him know that the thousand quid would not be going in his pocket,along with the bad press i was gonna give him on a international web site with thousands of members :)

he would have deffinately had some chosen words off me ,(bit chopsy when i want to be).would have had to let him know that the thousand quid would not be going in his pocket,along with the bad press i was gonna give him on a international web site with thousands of members :)

Yes, maybe i should have mentioned something, but at the time i was shocked more than anything.

I wasn't going to mention anything, but to be honest, i still think about it and it annoys me that he clearly had to interest in a potental customer.... and as i have said, i noticed a few people on here mention "Greenfield's", so was intrigued to hear some other opinions.

Thanks.

To be honest the guys on the Air Gun bit are ok. The Shotgun chaps IMO are ***** unless you have turned up in a Range Rover with the Full Hunting Monty on. I have seen it happen their with my own eyes.

I will stick with Chris Potter :good:

Which dealer are you talking about Lee?

Ashford guns staff deal with all the guns.

:) D2D

Chris Potter is in Tonbridge Wells. They are on the net as well. Top notch shop, staff and products. I deal with Dee or Chris himself for SG and Steve for Rifles

Hmmm im not sure of the one im thinking of then :)

Tonbridge Wells is a little bit to far for me really...

Thanks...

Greenfields is a good clay ground, but the shop does not have a lot of choice and I think the stuff in there is "pricey".

When they had the big shop in Canterbury (guns, fishing tackle, clothing, the lot) they were very top of the range and you could always buy "like for like" cheaper somewhere else.

CupramanRR.....

Just out of interest, is Chris Potter the one out towards Sandwhich and Margate kind of diretion? Near the Golfcorse?

Thanks.

No, Chris Potter is in Tunbridge. I stopped going there after they hoofed Richard out.

richard left of his own accord,

he started his own buisness

duncan, steve, dee, chris and the rest of the crowd are all excellent at their job

However i have had problems with greenfields, i bought a gun and was allowed 8 shots to decide if i was going to spend £1400 of cash with them or not, the guy then compaired a shotgun to a bat, and to be honest if it was the big fella with the perspiration issue i will actively avoid him. I did however buy the gun from them as it was a good price, sod them if they wont be nice most people on this forum know more than them or the information they do know comes without the rude delivery.

btw, its tunbridge wells and neither of you are right :) , tonbridge is a town 5 mins away and tunbridge wells is spelt with a 'u'

Edited by dunganick

CupramanRR.....

Just out of interest, is Chris Potter the one out towards Sandwhich and Margate kind of diretion? Near the Golfcorse?

Thanks.

No, Chris Potter is in Tunbridge. I stopped going there after they hoofed Richard out.

richard left of his own accord,

he started his own buisness

duncan, steve, dee, chris and the rest of the crowd are all excellent at their job

However i have had problems with greenfields, i bought a gun and was allowed 8 shots to decide if i was going to spend £1400 of cash with them or not, the guy then compaired a shotgun to a bat, and to be honest if it was the big fella with the perspiration issue i will actively avoid him. I did however buy the gun from them as it was a good price, sod them if they wont be nice most people on this forum know more than them or the information they do know comes without the rude delivery.

btw, its tunbridge wells and neither of you are right :good: , tonbridge is a town 5 mins away and tunbridge wells is spelt with a 'u'

That sound's like the chap i had the run in with... :)

Guest The Outlaw

I only use 3 dealers and have nothing but praise for them.

R & K Stockcraft run by Andy and Mike King (Mike is also an Ex England DTL shooter and now a coach) They are in Stoney Stratford near Milton Keynes.

Donaldsons In Fenny Stratford run BY Colin and his son Daniel, they are both Gunsmiths and sell guns and all the usual bits.

And the Oxford Gun Company at Jerico farm in Oakley near Brill.

Owned and run by Doug and Shirley Florrent, Excellent shop and a ground to try before you buy.

I cant fault any of them and have become good mates with all of them.

Tony