tika 595 / dog fox

tommy trucker

Hi Tommy,

I am looking at applying for a FAC for shooting foxes, can you tell me what the rifle is and what calibre.

i am used to using forces weapons but the calibres seem different ie, 5.56mm and 7.62mm.

what is the best weapon to use and what calibre?

Any comments from anyone regarding the correct weapon and calibre, i will thank in advance.

regards

the PM

HAPPY WOODY SHOOTING

post-11-1089127643.jpg

the rifle is a tika 595 .223 cal all weather model.

i have had the barrel choped to 18.5" and fitted a widcat 200 modderator.

i use 55gn v-max bullets, federal brass, federal 205 primers & 27.5gn varget powder ©= Compressed load

on top shes wearing a nightforce 3.5-15x56 varmint scope (NP2-DD) recticle.

these have now been replaced with the T3, but if you look hard enough some shops will still have the 595.

i queit like the look of the T3 varmint model............. :lol::lol:

hi TT,

as said before lovely looking gun, how much noise do you get from it now that its silenced??, and how much did it cost to get the barrel threaded and silenced,sorry for the questions but i am in the process of applying for my FAC and am considering this calibre.

thanks

yis andy.

Pigeon Master,

You will be fine with your military calibres as 5.56 is the military designation for .223 cracking foxy round and 7.62 is the military designation for .308 a fine stalking calibre and it really does a good job on foxes to. :lol:

PM,

Your right it is centre fire. There is no restriction on how much land you require to have a .223, what matters is wether or not the land is safe for that weapon and you show the knowledge in the safe use of it i.e where to shoot and where not to shoot. :lol:

Andy

the cost was £320 for sound mod,threading and reproofing the rifle and the mod.

well worth it if you are going to be doing any lamping in rural areas etc.

now all you hear is the supersonic crack from the bullet breaking the sound barrier

(no boom off the rifle) reduces recoil therefore improves accuracy. the wild cat is available in different sizes for different cal's,its stripable for cleaning (not that it needs cleaning very often 1,000's of rounds can be put through it first so i've been told off the guy at wildcat) its 100% stainless steel so wont rust! :lol:

unlike other sound mods :lol:

Andy 17

You should be looking to add the moderator to your application for your firearms now, otherwise the police force will charge you app £18 to add a firearm at a later date -should they at all grant the certificate, remember that the sound moderator is classes as a firearm on your certificate and must be added before you can use it....

The kit that Tommy trucker uses is first class. Here in Scotland I use an all weather remington 700 series .243 cal with a moderator and swarovski 3x12x56 scope for lamping foxes and I kill them 2 or 3 times a night.

I use 55 grain silver tips (nozzler winchester combination) these are flat for about 250 yards and drop 2 inches at 400 yards.

If you are new to this game some of this terminology might sound too heavy but you will learn quickly- you should be able to pick up a rifle and good scope for around £300 and moderated for an extra £150, the moderator reduces the boom and blast from the rifle leaving only the crack (like a .22 with high velocity rounds) this is because on full bore rifles the head is travelling too fast to take out the sonic crack! (faster than the speed of sound)mine travel at 4200 feet per second.It also reduces the recoil but by the time you experience recoil the round has left your barrel so accuracy is not effected but whatr this elimination does provide is the ability to still look through the scope at the target (as recoil removes your line of vision) and also takes away the fear (or anticipation) of the boom which can often make you pull the trigger instead of squeeze.

hope this is of some help to you

Adam

Thanks guys-- I've been shooting a good few years now and have shot many of the disciplines now so if I think I can pass on any advice (or opinions) then I will If I am unable to comment then I'll learn from the rest..........every day is a school day eh!!

hi,

sorry for takin so long to reply but thanks very much awmair for the post i have added it on to the form. The post was informative and luckily i have been shooting some centrefires(.222, .243, .22-250 and .25-06) and alot of rimfires over the past 2years (approx) on private estates. Iunderstand that i was perfectly legal doing so, so this being the case can i tell the firearms officers this?? as am only 17 i should think he'll ask my experience and knowledge of HP rifles.

thanks

yis andy

ps welcome to the site.