Best Shot to Take?

Beds

Hi Folks,

new to the forum so hello to everyone. Names Andy known as Beds.

I have several farms I can go on, pretty new to this but thoroughly enjoying every trip out I take but having a bit having a bit of bad luck! Using a Rapid 7 Mark 2 12 Shot, silencer and hawke scopes etc..Not got the Fire Arms ticket yet still sorting the paperwork out etc. So the rifle is at 12 pounds square feet.

My question is sometimes i hit a woodie and it flys off, its been hit for sure due to the feathers. lol.. But which is the most effective shot? Head, sometimes diffcult, wing it, then you have to chase around the feild and bag it?

Any info would be helpfull

Many Thanks in advance.

Beds. :o

First of all :o

Second, I'm not sure "lol" is the term to use after describing winging a bird. B)

It does happen to everyone at some point, but I would NEVER purposefully wing one with the intention of chasing after it to finish it off. Go for head shots every time, if you can't do that, practise on paper targets more. If you are in any doubt about the shot, don't take it.

So the rifle is at 12 pounds square feet.

no its 12 pounds of force within a foot...

and welcome to PW

and a pigeon is always a headshot. 30 yards you should be able to hit him in the eye with the set up you have.

a pigeons breast is like a flack jacket and a pellet will not kill it instantly unless FAC,

my advice is always the head to stop any suffering :o

Lew

Edited by lewismac1

and welcome to PW

and a pigeon is always a headshot. 30 yards you should be able to hit him in the eye with the set up you have.

a pigeons breast is like a flack jacket and a pellet will not kill it instantly unless FAC,

my advice is always the head to stop any suffering :o

Lew

Like I said I'm new to this.. Thanks for the good advice.

i always shoot them where the neck joins the body, kills them instantly every time, easy to hit and also you can see what they been eating when you shoot them there :lol:

yeah the gullet :unsure: i do my inspector morse inspection and use it againts my mum when she says ''you shouldnt kill woodies''

but she cant deny the evidence of the weat its eating muhaha :lol::lol:

Edited by lewismac1

and welcome to PW

my advice is always the head to stop any suffering :unsure:

Lew

Feet is the plural of foot smart***e, your a tad pedantic in your statement, like he said he's new.

Whilst were picking at people- WHEAT and AGAINST are spelt wrong

Edited by wildbill

Just one comment, I know the lad is new, but needs saying.

Don't shoot anything with a face until you know what you are doing, this means stop now and do some more reading and practice a bit more.

there is an old saying practise makes perfect! I've used plenty of pellets at targets the real thing is slightly harder as it it tends to be moving in the trees in the wind etc and if i was not bothered about winging my target, I would not ask for advise and I have to say your advise is not helpful!!

there is an old saying practise makes perfect! I've used plenty of pellets at targets the real thing is slightly harder as it it tends to be moving in the trees in the wind etc and if i was not bothered about winging my target, I would not ask for advise and I have to say your advise is not helpful!!

Listen mate, you started off by saying "But which is the most effective shot? Head, sometimes diffcult, wing it, then you have to chase around the feild and bag it?" which is absolutely shocking. I don't care how much you know or think you know you should be ashamed of yourself for having said it.

Newbie or not I just think the whole "buy airgun try shooting animals" before you know anything about them is reprehensible and I for one won't sit here and let it slip because you are new.

You then go on to say you've practised on plenty of targets but then admit it's harder in the field because of the wind, even more shockingly you then go on to say sometimes you can't see the target properly!

First rule is if you can't be sure of the shot, don't shoot. Takes a much bigger man to come home with nothing having seen 10 rabbits than shoot 5 in the **** to die a painful death.

Yes, before you say it I have taken shots before I wasn't proud of after the event and when pigeon shooting (shotgun) sometimes I will wing a bird accidentally. I do however practice on clays and on the range as much as I can to try and eliminate this as much as I can.

I suggest you get out in the field again with a target this time and try and get used to the wind and how it affects your shot. Try and learn how to hold into the wind at different distances, if it's blowing a hooly I'd stay at home.

Edited by pin

Listen mate, you started off by saying "But which is the most effective shot? Head, sometimes diffcult, wing it, then you have to chase around the feild and bag it?" which is absolutely shocking. I don't care how much you know or think you know you should be ashamed of yourself for having said it.

Newbie or not I just think the whole "buy airgun try shooting animals" before you know anything about them is reprehensible and I for one won't sit here and let it slip because you are new.

You then go on to say you've practised on plenty of targets but then admit it's harder in the field because of the wind, even more shockingly you then go on to say sometimes you can't see the target properly!

First rule is if you can't be sure of the shot, don't shoot. Takes a much bigger man to come home with nothing having seen 10 rabbits than shoot 5 in the **** to die a painful death.

Yes, before you say it I have taken shots before I wasn't proud of after the event and when pigeon shooting (shotgun) sometimes I will wing a bird accidentally. I do however practice on clays and on the range as much as I can to try and eliminate this as much as I can.

I suggest you get out in the field again with a target this time and try and get used to the wind and how it affects your shot. Try and learn how to hold into the wind at different distances, if it's blowing a hooly I'd stay at home.

Eh I think he pitched that perfectly, he asked for advice, and several members replied, he didnt ask to be belitled at his lack of knowledge, he was asking for advice nothing else! Wellcome to the site bud, :blink:

Feet is the plural of foot smart***e, your a tad pedantic in your statement, like he said he's new.

Whilst were picking at people- WHEAT and AGAINST are spelt wrong

Bahh humbug :blink:

hehe

Lew

Edited by lewismac1

Eh I think he pitched that perfectly, he asked for advice, and several members replied, he didnt ask to be belitled at his lack of knowledge, he was asking for advice nothing else! Wellcome to the site bud, :blink:

Now now Ron! :lol:

Ha Ha Ha,Touche Pin! I couldnt resist having a go back at you! you know its all meant in good spirit! :good::lol:

Firstly let me add I have never pulled a trigger on any animal knowing that i was going to wing it or cause it unneccarsary pain!! As you have quoted you have taken shots and to clarify "not happy with" I think everybody in the sport will have at some point in time.

This still does not give you the right to condisend and dictate whats right and whats wrong. I asked for advice which i have to say i have found very helpful from many of other members of this forum which i am very grateful for. But as for you're comments, I find you very offensive and your tone un called for, its people like you that stop "newbies" from progressing in the sport as its off putting and dam right annoying. You then have the nerve to send me a private pm explianing you are passionate about the sport and your not a newbie basher..you need to read your comments again.

Your a *** mate, plain and simple. You need to re-read what you posted initially.

Good luck, I just hope you don't end up ruining it for the rest of us who care about what we do. I don't need to re-read anything fella, I was thinking about what I posted before I did so, something you would do well having a go at.

Oh, that and a dictionary.

Edited by pin

For the benefit of others the PM he is on about, reproduced here :-

Airgunners post, Today, 09:23 PM

Burgeoning Bisley Burger Burglar

Group: Members

Member No.: 3238

I don't mean to belittle, I love this forum and I help people all the time. I am not a newbie basher but I am passionate about my sport.

It's a public forum and anti's do read it, talk of winging birds because the shot is hard is like a red rag to a bull with that lot.

We all start somewhere, but shooting live quarry carries with it responsibility and that's all I was trying to get across.

Hopefully you'll see the point, I have not taken issue with you in particular for any other reason than it needed to be said. I do hope you continue to post, if you don't like me or never want to speak to me again I don't mind - just don't want you to think the place is unfriendly.

Good luck and keep practising!

Your a *** mate, plain and simple. You need to re-read what you posted initially.

Good luck, I just hope you don't end up ruining it for the rest of us who care about what we do. I don't need to re-read anything fella, I was thinking about what I posted before I did so, something you would do well having a go at.

Oh, that and a dictionary.

see you just cant help yourself can you..now I'm a ***! and i cant spell, so!!! I'm not going to lower myself to your level and get in a slanging match with you.. And as for ruining it.. your doing a very good of that yourself..

have a nice life...