Best stuff to clean a shotgun?

maks2408

Assuming you mean "stuff", not staff

or you do mean staff use a stiff staff.

and i dont mean a dead dog before the complaints start.

Deboned fox tail preserved with meths :unsure:

But when I can't get one my boresnake usually does a good job! I don't use the cleaning rod kit (honestly forget the brand) since I got the BS.

Assuming you mean "stuff", not staff

or you do mean staff use a stiff staff.

and i dont mean a dead dog before the complaints start.

:D:):good:" Shosajis!!" I purchased a boresnake 3 years ago, and found it would not remove the plastic build up in the forcing cone in my 391 optibore,A lot of 391 optimore owners yous,d to ask me if my gun was doing it, I now have the Urika 2, and Beretta have changed the forcing cone angle somewhat and the build up not as bad but I now still use the rod and brush. :lol:

:D:):good:" Shosajis!!" I purchased a boresnake 3 years ago, and found it would not remove the plastic build up in the forcing cone in my 391 optibore,A lot of 391 optimore owners yous,d to ask me if my gun was doing it, I now have the Urika 2, and Beretta have changed the forcing cone angle somewhat and the build up not as bad but I now still use the rod and brush. :lol:

Yup, boresnake good for a quick pull through but plaswads will leave a film in any barrel so an overnight soak of the barrels in a light oil (Browning Legia in my case) and then a scrub through with the brush works for me. I think it was a Bisley cleaning kit I bought for about £20 which had the road, a brush, mop, small cloth and a small bottle of oil.

WGD

Cleaning FLUIDS you can use a cheap spray oil to clean inside the barrels but DON'T get it on the outside as it can remove the bluing and also attacks the braising holding the barrels and rib together.

The easiest method is to take your Jag and a small wad of cloth and saturate it in spray oil (the pound shops maintanence oil) and rod the barrels out to remove all the ****. Then just put a dry clean mop through afterwards to buff up and remove any excess oil.

There is NO NEED to use the Bronze brush every time you clean only when there is an excessive build up on the inner walls of the barrel that you can't move with normal solvent etc.

I would however recomend cleaning the chambers now and then too with a chamber brush around every 500 shots or so

Outer barrels First make sure they are DRY and remove any water droplets accordingly then use some 3in1 light oil "NOT THE SPRAY OIL" the one in the small squeezy tin or you can use Gun oil or Browning Leglia (more expensive) Put oil on the cloth to make it a little damp and then give the barrels a wipe over to remove any finger prints etc.

Before cleaning the outer barrels remove the barrels from the gun and remove the woodwork from the barrels as the Oil CAN stain the woodwork and once stained it's stained for life.

I tend to clean ALL the metalwork with light oil after use and also clean all the moving parts and re-oil or grease as necesary.

If you intend storing the gun for a long period of time and oil up the barrels etc before storing then make sure you again remove the forend and store the gun barrels down this prevents staining of the woodwork and also prevent the oil from getting into the pin ports which leads to dirt sticking in to there and gumming up the pins.

Edited by Lord Geordie

I'm always amazed at how many people swear by boresnakes. OK for a quick pull through, but next time you've cleaned your gun with one and are about to put it in the cabinet, wrap a bit of kitchen roll around a mop and give it a little squirt with gun cleaner and pull it through the barrels - It'll be black when it comes out. I'll take some photos next time I clean my gun to prove the point!

Sadly no shortcuts to properly cleaning a gun :lol: