Videos

new to the flock

Would anyone be interested i loaning videos of different hunting back and forth. I would love to see videos on pigeon hunting, ferreting, lurchers, terriers or any other hunting situations. I have videos that cover moose hunting, antelope hunting, deer, bear,pedetor (mostly coyote),turkey, and dog training. Would also be interested in finding an address for shooting times as it sounds interesting.

Of course this would only work if two video systems are compatable. Doe anyone know for sure.

Pieman.............trust me. :D

I bought some European catfish videos, for a friend in South Carolina, who catches catfish up to about 10lbs.

These videos showed catfish well over 100 lbs, being caught.

A different species of catfish, but I thought they would be a nice "wind up".

Fortunately, I mentioned to a friend what I had done and he told me about the different formats.

I got the information confirmed and then found a studio prepared to re-record them to the US format.

I also had to get written permission from the makers of the videos, for this changeover to take place.

It was all worth it,just to see the look on his face when he saw these enormous catfish.

US and Canadian VCRs are on a format known as NTSC.  However, some friends in the US have a machine which is also also capable of playing PAL (the UK format) and SECAM (the continental European format), so check what your machine can do before ordering any cassettes.  My video machine here in the UK is capable of playing NTSC tapes, so I for one may be interested in borrowing some of your tapes.

When this compatability question was raised yesterday my gut reaction was to say no.

Before doing so,I mailed a cousin who is a TV cameraman with the BBC.

Just got his reply which goes along the following lines.

Short answer is : No

Longer answer is: Maybe

Exactly as Hammergun says,some of our video recorders are now capable of playing the N/American NTSC tapes and likewise some of theirs are capable of playing the PAL system tapes that we use.It will say in your instruction manual if this is so.

He also said that it was possible that you would only see them in monochrome or at the worst not at all.

So nttf have you a video recorder capable of playing PAL tapes,for if so it might be worth the experiment.

One last point he mentioned is that it is not possible to record the tapes from one system to the other.

ernyha, your cousins comment, that you cannot record the differing format tapes one to the other, may be true on domestic equipment.

But, as I have said, it is possible for this to be done by a commercial studio.

If anyone wants the name, address and telephone number of the studio I used, PM me and I will pass it on.

:D cranfield, as soon as i read my post back,I realised that I would be pulled up on it when i said that you can not copy from one system to the other.

I should have added that you couldn,t do it on normal domestic equipment of course.

If you have had the "pleasure" of watching American soaps on TV then you know that it is technically possible but the quality of picture usually leaves something to be desired.

I won,t comment on the programme content itself.

8-)

The difference in format is due to different numbers of lines and refresh rates on TV screens, due to historical differences in broadcasting in different countries.  Therefore, micro-electronic circuitry is required to convert the formats to be played on different machines.  

The reason that it is not possible to connect two different types of video machines together and record from one to the other is that, for example, an NTSC video gives out an NTSC format signal, intended for an NTSC TV.  It would be a bit like trying to tune your car radio in to pick up your mobile phone conversation.

As digital technology takes off and replaces analogue, hopefully things will become more compatible.