Thinking about getting a semi auto

Ferret Master

Hi,

Currently I have 2 shotguns my Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U 20 bore and the AYA Yeoman SBS 12 bore. These cover most of the shooting I do and the 20 bore gets most use as I don't really get on with the SBS as it kicks like a pig but has its uses if Dad needs to shoot a fox as it's tightly choked.

Anyway I feel like using something a bit different for clays when I'm not using the 20 bore and for rough shooting when I need a bit more lead in the air. The idea of a second hand semi auto 12 bore popped into my head and it seems to be ticking most of the boxes as the moment however there is one problem. I don't know that much about semis other than I have shot with them well enough when borrowing them for clay shooting, that they have less recoil and can be cartridge fussy with light loads and cartridges that are shorted than 70mm. :huh:

Those of you on here that have met me know that I'm quite small so baring that in mind, what make of semi would you reccomend?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies. <_<

FM :lol:

Hi,

Currently I have 2 shotguns my Beretta Silver Pigeon O/U 20 bore and the AYA Yeoman SBS 12 bore. These cover most of the shooting I do and the 20 bore gets most use as I don't really get on with the SBS as it kicks like a pig but has its uses if Dad needs to shoot a fox as it's tightly choked.

Anyway I feel like using something a bit different for clays when I'm not using the 20 bore and for rough shooting when I need a bit more lead in the air. The idea of a second hand semi auto 12 bore popped into my head and it seems to be ticking most of the boxes as the moment however there is one problem. I don't know that much about semis other than I have shot with them well enough when borrowing them for clay shooting, that they have less recoil and can be cartridge fussy with light loads and cartridges that are shorted than 70mm. :huh:

Those of you on here that have met me know that I'm quite small so baring that in mind, what make of semi would you reccomend?

franchi 712 raptor nice and light

Hi,

franchi 712 raptor nice and light

I was going to say a beretta 391 but if on the small/short side maybe a 'raptor' would be better as thet are very lightweight.

Edited by luckytrigger

you seem to be more versed in shotguns then i do looking at your current collection, but i want a semi aswell and i thing it will be berreta for me, they seem to get good ratings by many, i would also look at browning/winchester and beneli, cheers buddy <_<

I bought a Beretta 303 last summer and have put plenty of carts through it without a single problem. It was in excellent condition and cost 350.

Its the first semi i've owned (and shot!) and I can't fault it. I was surprised at how much less recoil and noise the beretta gave out in comparison with my dad's o/u.

Ollie, the Benelli is a fine gun, but I find the recoil of the Mancino excessive. We fitted a mercury recoil reducer to the mag-cap and it seems to have calmed down a bit.

The Benelli system is, in fact, a Marsh Williams short recoil system that originally obtained its cycling energy by bulging the head of a shell! It had a Bren-gun type tilting breech bolt! (See US Patent 2,144,951) Remington shelved the idea! The patent is cited in the later Benelli design.

Remember, too, that as a gun gets lighter, the recoil increases. It's science! (Oh! By the way, congratulations on getting your recent A* in GCSE Science!)

So, back to cycling shells - (I am sure you will take your reloading skills onto 12 gauge and I have a Lee LoadAll waiting for you when you want it!) - but remember, semi-autos don't like 'weak' shells! So you musn't try to 'water' them down to reduce recoil! Only one s/a will do that! And you know it!

My strong advice to you is to first avoid the expensive painted lady, carbon fibre, enamel inlayed, composite stock, plastic trigger guards, stone finished poser guns and go for a second-hand Remington 1100 semi-auto. Give one a try first.

FC

I bought a Beretta 303 last summer and have put plenty of carts through it without a single problem. It was in excellent condition and cost 350.

Its the first semi i've owned (and shot!) and I can't fault it. I was surprised at how much less recoil and noise the beretta gave out in comparison with my dad's o/u.

OR an 'old' Beretta 303 as above. Solid gun, too!

FC