Pigeon shooting today

ironhorse

My self and a mate decided to go pigeon shooting today, we arrived on the estate which is in Hampshire, this estate has thousands of acres, so we had a good run round and found only one field of rape being hit by pigeons, watched the field for an hour then set up for the day, well after a couple of hours we had shot 8 pigeons between us, got in the 4x4 drove round the estate nothing was moving a very quite day

Its like that at this time of year , you see a field covered , birds pouring in and think your in for a big day. First shot and its all over unless you want to chase them around the estate. Its only a few weeks till the drilling starts , so better days to come. :good:

Ive notice most of the pigeons ive shot in the past few days their crops have been full of ivy berries i set up under some ash trees they've been feeding in the hedge rows then coming to the clump of ash trees to sit the rest is history :good:

Took the pup ( Golden Retriever "Missy") will be 8mths end of Jan, taken her rough shootin since she was 6mths and she's fantastic flushes, finds fetches dead or flappers......So i thought i'd take her pigeon shootin for half a day to see how she fared, sitting still for hours !?! She was faultless never moved in he hide, didnt get restless which was my main concern..... Only shot 9 the morning was well slow but bless the little las she went and fetched 7 of them and one had legged it through the hedge and was swimin in the ditch (but not for long Missy found it and with a lot of encouragement brought it back to me).....So for 9 birds and a morning with the young Missy i'm more than happy :unsure:

Took the pup ( Golden Retriever "Missy") will be 8mths end of Jan, taken her rough shootin since she was 6mths and she's fantastic flushes, finds fetches dead or flappers......So i thought i'd take her pigeon shootin for half a day to see how she fared, sitting still for hours !?! She was faultless never moved in he hide, didnt get restless which was my main concern..... Only shot 9 the morning was well slow but bless the little las she went and fetched 7 of them and one had legged it through the hedge and was swimin in the ditch (but not for long Missy found it and with a lot of encouragement brought it back to me).....So for 9 birds and a morning with the young Missy i'm more than happy :unsure:
sounds like u got a good one there mutley :blush:

sounds like u got a good one there mutley :blush:

She's a little Diamond mate but sadly i have now idea how to get her full potential and even more sadly the hours i work i dont get the time to develop her.....

But what she does which i'm guessin is the basics, works!...and as much as anything it's fun to be out with her and she loves coming so in that respect i'm glad of what i've got :good:

When I got my lab started teaching him with a pigeon wing tied to a toy, through it up the garden then he progressed to a dead pigeon. Took him shooting one day when he was about 10 months someone shot a rook, he dashed out to pick it up, the rook latched onto his nose, took me ages to get him over that

When I got my lab started teaching him with a pigeon wing tied to a toy, through it up the garden then he progressed to a dead pigeon. Took him shooting one day when he was about 10 months someone shot a rook, he dashed out to pick it up, the rook latched onto his nose, took me ages to get him over that

Missy is u ****** for dashing in, working on it though pretty much for the reason you gave Rooks, Crows, Magpies all can be evil little **** if your not careful.... Hope your boy's coming on despite the set back, all the best mate :good:

Missy is u ****** for dashing in, working on it though pretty much for the reason you gave Rooks, Crows, Magpies all can be evil little **** if your not careful.... Hope your boy's coming on despite the set back, all the best mate :good:

Yeah hes 7 this year quite an old boy now, still ready the minute he see the gun case

Took the pup ( Golden Retriever "Missy") will be 8mths end of Jan, taken her rough shootin since she was 6mths and she's fantastic flushes, finds fetches dead or flappers......So i thought i'd take her pigeon shootin for half a day to see how she fared, sitting still for hours !?! She was faultless never moved in he hide, didnt get restless which was my main concern..... Only shot 9 the morning was well slow but bless the little las she went and fetched 7 of them and one had legged it through the hedge and was swimin in the ditch (but not for long Missy found it and with a lot of encouragement brought it back to me).....So for 9 birds and a morning with the young Missy i'm more than happy :lol:
sounds like u got a good one there mutley :lol:

She's a little Diamond mate but sadly i have now idea how to get her full potential and even more sadly the hours i work i dont get the time to develop her.....

But what she does which i'm guessin is the basics, works!...and as much as anything it's fun to be out with her and she loves coming so in that respect i'm glad of what i've got :lol:

Shes doin more than basics,not all dogs will retrieve woodies,(due to the amount of feathers apparently)..she goes in water (another :beer::yay: for some :good: supposedly trained gun dogs).give her what time you can you could end up with a pure diamond. :lol: