size 6 shot anyone

last night was on egay when i found a diveing company selling lead shot for ballast cheapish which got me thinking coud i use this in a shotty for reloading so i went down to my local diving shop which is about 150meters down my street and yes they have loads of shot there £4 a kg mint just bought 5kg for £20 the gun shop wants £40 for 7kg tubs and its the same size as no6 shot bonus it seems just as hard as the shop bought stuff so get down ya local divers centre and get some they said they allways have it in stock gonna reload some and try it out on the pigeons tomoz

last night was on egay when i found a diveing company selling lead shot for ballast cheapish which got me thinking coud i use this in a shotty for reloading so i went down to my local diving shop which is about 150meters down my street and yes they have loads of shot there £4 a kg mint just bought 5kg for £20 the gun shop wants £40 for 7kg tubs and its the same size as no6 shot bonus it seems just as hard as the shop bought stuff so get down ya local divers centre and get some they said they allways have it in stock gonna reload some and try it out on the pigeons tomoz

I buy lead shot for £32.00 from a reloading supplier- So no real saving

knowing you I also suspect you get it dropped off by orse and cart

knowing you I also suspect you get it dropped off by orse and cart

Lorry or cart they all easily fall off the back of them when you know which one to stand behind....

Thanks for the advise Sparkie, will ring around on monday. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I suspect the difference will be in the alloying.

Lead weighting does not need any special properties beyond being heavy, so it will be made from low refined ingots, or even scrap.

Re-loading shot is usually an alloy, and has up to 5% other metals in it to give good pattern properties.

The alloying achieves higher "crush values" and that limits deformation as it goes out the barrel and chokes. Soft lead tends to flatten a little in the gun, and this causes a lot off loose pellets scattered at the outside of the pattern. These are wasted pellets as there are not enough of them to bring down a quarry or clay.

For game, a balance iis needed between softness ( the flattening on impact does help achieve kills) and hardness that helps good effective patterns. 3% antinomy is typical.

In competition clay loads, high antinomy content up to 7%, and even nickel plating is used to harden the pellet to give very precise edges to the pattern.

Steel, because of its intrinsic hardness, has very good patterns.

Jerry

I've looked at this a few years back being a diver. The main problem is that the shot is not a uniform size and some bits are bb size and others smaller that 9's. I suspect they may be a bit on the soft side also as the shot is made from pure lead without any alloy added as you can carry more weight in your shot belt without adding to bulk thus making it safer as you are less cluttered underwater. I would say though that it should be sufficient for pigeon shooting carts as you can get away with a less refined load.

Got 5 kg to try, paid £3 per kg. Reloaded 25 yesterday,B+P Flash hull,32g wad,22grns Green dot,CCI 209 primer,32g of this shot. I never patterned the shells but I shot 15 crows this morning using Beretta extrema 2 with a turkey choke which a friend brought me from the states.Without doubt I killed large crows at between 50 and 60 yards.These crows were dead in the air, so what does that say for the shot?. I intend to buy more of it for the same job.Maybe if I can get the time I will try a few at the paper to see how that goes.I have no idea what these shells would be costing but they would undoubtly be a lot cheaper than factory loads which you would buy to perform like this.

Take a look in the yellow pages, there should be diving supply companies in there, price around.

Take a few hours and read through the threads on this forum and you should get most of the info you need.............http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=13

all the best. :oops:

how many shels can you get out of 1 kilo and will it work out cheaper to reaload than to buy in not **** ways backways

thaks all

1kg = 1,000g / 28g load = 35ish

@ 32g load = 31ish

and has any one got a shot size table they can post on hear

Here's one >>clicky<<. There are others, just google "British shot size".

Try and get shot that is.10 ins or 22.6 or 7 mm.That is the same as number 6 British shot.You should have approx 300 pellets per oz (28grms).Using red dot be careful of heavier loads, I personally would not go over 30grammes.You can work out how many shells per pound depending on how many grains you use....1grain equals 0.0648 grams.1 gram equals 15.43 grains.one ounce equals 437.5 grains.one pound equals 7000 grains.

regards.pat1

Get yourself a set of scales!!!!!!!!!!!!! very important

Edited by pat 1

Hi chaps,

Taking into account that I'm a complete Donkey on the subject, but is it worth it reloading your own cart for and only Pigeon shooting? How musc will a box will cost you (25 cart.)?

I find it very interesting, it as been a while that I think to load my own, any help will be great.

Thanks

Mark