Reducing pigeon magnet speed

jonno 357

jonno, you don't say if it is a wiper motor powered rotary but if it is first make sure you are using the slow speed connection to it.

There are a couple of ways to reduce the speed still more, the easiest is to use a 6V battery connected to the fast speed connection.

The other is as you suggested by using a resistor and the cheapest way is to go to a scrapyard and get the resistor that is used to vary the speed of a car heater motor. This is usually near or bolted to the outside of the heater box and is recognised by being a ceramic piece with windings round it and several wire connections to it.

Just experiment with it by seeing which two terminals connected in series to one of your rotary wires gives you your ideal speed. Of course if you want the "de-luxe" version, get the heater switch as well and have the choice of several speeds with a click of the switch.

Jonno.

I have a pinewood advantage which a electronics friend has converted with the aid of a variable resistor and some low resistance cable.

I dont know a great deal about these things but I think the variable resitor came from a scalextric car set or train set or something like that.

The cable is connected to the battery pack which can be kept in the hide and the resistor is placed in line and is operated with a turn switch he has rigged up for me.

I can turn the resistor right down to very slow or even stop it if necessary as it has a built in switch.

Apparently the cable needs to be as low resistance as possible or their will be an appreciable voltage drop over the distance to the rotar from the hide. I have 50 m of cable and this genious guy has calculated the voltage drop based on Ohms law or something like that... I do actually have an A level in Physics but my Brain cells have become somewhat eroded by the reaction to Stella Artois over the years!

Dont expect the battery to last longer on lower speed, it doesnt as the unit will be using the same voltage at a higher resistance. In fact it can have the adverse effect due to the additional resistance of the cable. Something to do with Faradays law, who ever he might be. I vaguely remember him!

The next step for this guy is to adapt the battery unit with a speed board and servo from a model boat which with a cheap Radio Controlled hand set will mean I can control the rotary from the hide. Brilliant or what. This guy is a complete anorak but has a brilliant technical mind and makes radio controlled helicopters. He reckons with some latex and the right kit he could make me a Pigeon animaltronic which will Flap, peck, walk and coo.... I said, lets just get the bloody rotary sorted out first...Things can go too far...

FM.

Deadpair,

A pigeon magnet is a motorised device to mount two or more pigeon decoys or dead pigeons on with the aim of attracting more pigeon to the area. When used successfully, these devices can have a dramatic effect on luring in any flighting pigeon that sees it. Look on www.############## to see one. I think the deluxe flapping version in pigeon decoying has a small piece of footage attached for you to see.

• 2 months later...
Jonno.

I have a pinewood advantage which a electronics friend has converted with the aid of a variable resistor and some low resistance cable.

I dont know a great deal about these things but I think the variable resitor came from a scalextric car set or train set or something like that.

The cable is connected to the battery pack which can be kept in the hide and the resistor is placed in line and is operated with a turn switch he has rigged up for me.

I can turn the resistor right down to very slow or even stop it if necessary as it has a built in switch.

Apparently the cable needs to be as low resistance as possible or their will be an appreciable voltage drop over the distance to the rotar from the hide. I have 50 m of cable and this genious guy has calculated the voltage drop based on Ohms law or something like that... I do actually have an A level in Physics but my Brain cells have become somewhat eroded by the reaction to Stella Artois over the years!

Dont expect the battery to last longer on lower speed, it doesnt as the unit will be using the same voltage at a higher resistance. In fact it can have the adverse effect due to the additional resistance of the cable. Something to do with Faradays law, who ever he might be. I vaguely remember him!

The next step for this guy is to adapt the battery unit with a speed board and servo from a model boat which with a cheap Radio Controlled hand set will mean I can control the rotary from the hide. Brilliant or what. This guy is a complete anorak but has a brilliant technical mind and makes radio controlled helicopters. He reckons with some latex and the right kit he could make me a Pigeon animaltronic which will Flap, peck, walk and coo.... I said, lets just get the bloody rotary sorted out first...Things can go too far...

FM.

www.dom.com/imc[/img]

Hello,

A very simple method is get yourself about 25m reel of alarm cable from maplins or C.E.F and connect that between magnet and battery, make sure you dont by the copper core cable as the voltage drop is veryu low over copper, the cheap steel/tin cores have more resistance and will reduce the voltage to waht ever you want by reducing the cable length.

As the battery runs down then just remove the alarm cable from the setup and your away again.

Loads of methods but the best is a varible resistor by far.

The PM

• 6 years later...

jonno, you don't say if it is a wiper motor powered rotary but if it is first make sure you are using the slow speed connection to it.

There are a couple of ways to reduce the speed still more, the easiest is to use a 6V battery connected to the fast speed connection.

The other is as you suggested by using a resistor and the cheapest way is to go to a scrapyard and get the resistor that is used to vary the speed of a car heater motor. This is usually near or bolted to the outside of the heater box and is recognised by being a ceramic piece with windings round it and several wire connections to it.

Just experiment with it by seeing which two terminals connected in series to one of your rotary wires gives you your ideal speed. Of course if you want the "de-luxe" version, get the heater switch as well and have the choice of several speeds with a click of the switch.

I have recentley tried to find a resisitor to slow my pidgeon magnet any ideas what ohm to use