rising cost of clayshooting?

08shooter

hi guys ive been doing a lot of thinking lately about the cost of my shooting.i have 3 shotties in the cabinet and i have nt used one since new years day.i am considering letting 2 guns go and buying another air rifle.im only a working man and i feel that im spending way too much when i am shooting clays whereas with the air rifle its only buttons.i feel my money could be spent elsewhere on our home.am i the only one crying about the rising cost of our sport?only problem is which 2 shotties to part with. :good:

Hi,

I havent been hit too much with the rising cost of clays yet, have gone from £12 to £15 per 50 this year, but my main cost seems to have been fuel to get to the shoots, with poor returns this year I have been trying to workout the cost and see if I cant find somethimg a more local.

Also have now just run out of the shells I bought last year so am about to get a shock as I look for a few thou more.

trev :good:

It's getting painful, but I just keep stumping up the cash. Couldn't give it up now.

Air rifles just bore the **** off me, after the first few plinks. Not the same game at all - far too easy :lol:

So long as you're not cross-eyed, you can't miss static targets :lol: a baboon could do it :good:

My dad was the same as you, he had a cabinet full of shotties but was hardly using any of them and certainly none at the same time. He sold my old 20 Bore, a trap gun of which I cannot remember the make and a beautiful Browning C2G.

He just has his old Beretta 682 SuperSport which he bought as a temp gun whilst his Browning was having some work done.

You can only use 1 gun at a time, so hard as it is, may be best to get rid of the others. As for the rising costs, it is a bit of a *****, but then then lifes a *****. As for the air rifle idea, I have done a bit air rifle shooting in the past and it certainly would not interest me enough to go and do it every weekend. I stick to local shoots that seem pretty reasonable to shoot at the mo. Also thinking of spending some bonus money on an auto trap for even cheaper shooting. Perhaps that might be an option if you clubbed together with some mates and got a bit of land to shoot on. A wobbler base could provide some cheap shooting fun.

Clay shooting is only as expensive as you want it to be.

You can only shoot one gun at a time, so owning more than one does not increase the cost of shooting.

There are two way to save money:

1) Reduce the number of shots

2) Reduce the cost of each shot

So either shoot less, or buy cheaper cartriges. If you gun can handle steel then it is quite a bit cheaper. Or even look at loading your own, you can scrounge enough lead usually and even make your own shot maker!

This sport is cheap compared to many others , One of my drivers sons who is 14 races motor bikes ( road racing ) he gets 2 races of six laps each which takes about 8/9 minutes to complete . Entry fee is £120 . and thats not includind the cost of getting there petrol ,tyres etc . At the end of the day if we enjoy it , we pay it . Or we land up with them sad lot that spend their sundays walking around tesco's . If we all keep thinking about what things use to cost then my first wage packet would just about buy me 4 mars bars at todays prices . And if I could sell my house today and turn the clock back 40 years tomorrow I could own the street . ;)

I've run a F3 car for testing purposes for two years, and you just cannot compare Motorsport to shooting.

Even running a bike is not cheap.

Shooting is an everyday activity, enjoyed by thousands through the land who all take part in this weekend after weekend.

All Motorsport is expensive, period! but shooting is more akin to fishing, not motorsport.

People have to put huge amounts away for motorsport, but are normally prepared for it. This chap is doing this for his son and himself, hoping to do well.

He will have worked out a budget for the year, if he's got any sense, to include all the costs.

You don't expect to be shooting for a reasonable amount one year, and then have the price jacked up to unreasonable levels from what they were.

I think this is the point of this discussion.

You are right Barrowboy, in that, if you want to keep doing it you don't have a choice. You just have to get ripped off sometimes to enjoy yourself.

Some just don't think its fair, and its not.

Clay shooting is only as expensive as you want it to be.

You can only shoot one gun at a time, so owning more than one does not increase the cost of shooting.

There are two way to save money:

1) Reduce the number of shots

2) Reduce the cost of each shot

So either shoot less, or buy cheaper cartriges. If you gun can handle steel then it is quite a bit cheaper. Or even look at loading your own, you can scrounge enough lead usually and even make your own shot maker!

shooting less is not an option, wheres all the fun then :lol:

loading your own is no advantage cost wise at all, the only "pro" is a custom load you prefer, i've yet to see anybody load a round for clays cheaper than the leading manufacturers price out, ive tried also :lol: failed abismally.

with steel i've lost too many targets to compare its "advantage" ive dusted many but broken fewer, it came here in target ammo a few years back, i got involved straight away, i gave the last few cases to people who were starting out fun gunning.

you need to admit your in a costly sport, most have gone out and bought the best gun they can afford, spend a little on targets, give less to the wife for hairdoos and nailstuff, buy wifey a bike and sell her car :lol: , pawn off the kids :lol: ,,,,,,,, hell pawn off the wife :good::good:

loads of different ways of offsetting shooting costs when you think about it.

Martin ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, single,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no kids ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get over the prices some of you guys pay to shoot. At the clubs I shoot at I pay £6.00 for 50, and they are local. Some of the 'posh clubs' are very expensive compared to what I pay locally £12.00-£15.00 for 50.

My local clubs started up as a group of guys finding somewhere to shoot then saving up for traps etc. Ok there is not cafe or food but if all you wont to do is shoot you cant fault it, fills a Sunday morning.

I suppose you pay for the convenience to shoot any day of the week as we only shoot on a Sunday.

Cheers Bob.....

£36 for 100 birds and 100 shells every sunday thats £1872 a year.

My dad pays £1200 a year for membership at his golf club, and most lunch times at a golf range by his work.

So about the same cost over a year as shooting clays really. But with clays you dont ever spoil a walk.

my shooting would be cheaper if i was a memeber of WGC and if i just bite the Bullet and get around to picking a shell im happy with and get 2000 or 3000 in bulk.

Edited by sparkymark

at my shooting ground the price has gone from 13 to 14 for 50 bird sporting n from 4.50 to a fiver for 25 skeet

Ferretman

Where abouts do you shoot mate?

You pay the same as one site I use and I'm

always intrested in new sites.

Cheers.

taz.

hi mate its called stile hollow look it up on the internet i think the site is www.stilehollow.com it a rite nice clay shoot mate thanks john topless owns it used to shoot for england top bloke nice to!!best regards

Edited by ferretman