Automatic 4x4s - Any Good?

Millomite

If you want the vehicle for serious or extreme off roading as conducted by young webber, then probably not the best choice. Otherwise go for it.

I've been driving 4x4s for over 30 years, but had to go automatic when I started to have difficulty walking after driving. I've not experienced any problems with either Shogun or Range Rover automatics off road, but my activities have been limited to general shooting off road stuff and lamping in Scotland in the rain.

I drove our shoot Suzuki Vitara a few weeks ago, and quite enjoyed taking it to the bottom of our shoot. One of our older members who was passenger was insistant that I would get it stuck. He was well impressed that we didnt slide down the hill sideways, and that the mud bath at the bottom failed to consume the vehicle and its contents. A decent vehicle, skillfully driven old boy!!

webber

If you dont like talking to mechanics and the smell of the inside of a car repair shop in my opinion i would stay at least 1000 yards away from an auto frontera at all times :lol: infact any frontera.My mates got one five year old and its had everything replaced apart from the shell!!And its never been off road yet.

as said before an auto will go anywhere do anything and be far better for general off roading and getting through mud than a manual as you wont loose any drive when it changes gear. The only drawback is descending very steep hills and banks as the engine braking is poor. As you know you must not use the brakes downhill otherwise you can slide and tumble very easily. So unless you spend a mint and get one with hill descent control you wont really be up for the big stuff. I would not have any probs using an auto for the sort of farm shooting work that i need a 4X4 for and in all fairness i think it would be a bonus :lol:

as said before an auto will go anywhere do anything and be far better for general off roading and getting through mud than a manual as you wont loose any drive when it changes gear. The only drawback is descending very steep hills and banks as the engine braking is poor. As you know you must not use the brakes downhill otherwise you can slide and tumble very easily. So unless you spend a mint and get one with hill descent control you wont really be up for the big stuff. I would not have any probs using an auto for the sort of farm shooting work that i need a 4X4 for and in all fairness i think it would be a bonus :lol:

:lol: sound advice.

Would stay away from the Frontera though IMHO.

WGD

Frontera auto or frontera in general. Was a lot of good stuff posted about the frontys on here a while back

In general - I've had personal experience of 3 (not mine, owned by friends) although all were manual, they all had a lot of niggly but expensive repairs. But you are right, I have seen posts on here recommending them so each to their own. My old man had 3 Disco's on the trot from the early ones when everyone else was complaining about them but he had no problems and loved the vehicle so wouldn't go past them.

Just got rid of my Frontera. Cheapest car I have ever run. Nice ride, economical and reliable. Early Fronteras were poor. Better after 1995 and massive improvement 1998 onwards. Knocked spots off my Disco. Drove more like a car and very good off road. Wife always has autos - I'm a fan too.