Went Shooting today

Cosd

Friend and I travelled our usual 60 miles this morning to the farm we shoot at.

Didn't like the look of it as we drove there, was getting light earlier than usual indicating a clear sky ahead.

We set up at day break choosing our spot (seperate from each other), and laid out our decoys (we don't have a rotary).

We chose these spots on the back of the last few times we have shot there.

Bright sunshine, absolutely still (no wind), and an awful day shooting. I got none and my friend 1 woodie.

Saw very little even flying, and the ones we did see were flying very high. Our decoys didn't even get a look in, I actually thought they were putting them off as they seemed to distract away from me. I'm camo'd up well I believe, and was in my pop up hide. I removed the deeks after a couple of hours, even moved fields after seeing at least some movement in another field. Made no difference.

It's only our fourth time shooting.

What can we do to improve the day?

Do we need a magnet?

I have a couple of bouncers but didn't put them out as there was no wind.

We live too far to go there some consecutive days to watch the birds and where they go.

Help !

Friend and I travelled our usual 60 miles this morning to the farm we shoot at.

Didn't like the look of it as we drove there, was getting light earlier than usual indicating a clear sky ahead.

We set up at day break choosing our spot (seperate from each other), and laid out our decoys (we don't have a rotary).

We chose these spots on the back of the last

no wind praps some movment from magnet as there eyes r sensative 2 movement

Several basic mistakes here:

1. Have an alternative sport / hobby lined up if the weather is not conducive to good pigeon shooting, i.e. sunny & still, play golf or do the garden, as Pigeon shooting's generally a waste of time.

2. Find a field that they're actually feeding on, not one that you hope they will feed on, you say you were shooting on "wheat", presumably winter drilled wheat, that's now sprouting green? If so, you were wasting your time, as pigeons do not feed on such fields at this time of year.

3. Get a magnet, and get your mate to get one too, they're essential for drawing birds at this time of year. Use 2 dead birds on the arms.

4. I've not seen a pop up hide that doesn't look like a bird scarer, better to use real branches covered with grass or straw or use cammo nets.

There are plenty of good books on how to decoy pigeons, they're well worth reading.

Cat.

Instead of spending time, effort and money chasing pigeons and not having much of a clue what you're doing why not book a day with a professional guide (like WB the site sponsor) and learn how to do it properly. After all you didn't learn to drive without having some lessons or at least someone to show you the ropes so why go shooting without some sort of help?

May not apply in your case but one of my biggest rants...people who can get hold of an SGC/FAC with little or no knowledge. It's ***** dangerous old chap!

Good advice from Highlander.

120 mile round trip without recon is madness. Speak to the land owner first before travelling and do a bit of homework.

If the birds were there and high then 9 times out of 10 they are on there way somewhere else. Birds which have been feeding in a particular field or woodland for a few days go on auto pilot after leaving roost and a magnet with two 6 foot naked birds wouldnt bring them down.

Dont lose heart.....any day not at work is a good days shooting.

FM :lol:

HIGH LANDER IS RITE YOU WANT TO DO SOME HOMEWORK ON THE LAND N THE FLIGHT LINES N THAT BEFOR GOING ALL THAT WAY MATE JUST DO THINGS LIKE THAT WILL PAY OFF FOR U CHAP.. :lol:

Yeah I know you're right ferretman.

My problem is it's the only shoot I have and would rather go

and have a quiet one than not! I'm new, so eager to go!!