new firing pins

ferretman

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...;hl=firing+pins

i did my own on my o/u theres a link to the pictures showing you how , mine prob was more of a spring problem but i replaced the lot springs and pins for around £40 from Litts

if you need any tips pm me tbh i cant see any gunshop doing a pin for £15 as unless its a sideplate or a semi auto its the stock off @ least ...

well it is hitting the cart n making a lil bint in it but not enought but wen i tryed a dif cart 1 that was a bit bigger so closer to the pin it was fine so as it is a old gun i seem to think the pins have worn away abit n need new1s wot u lot think am i rite???thanks :yes:

hi were was that at?thanks

Hi ferret man .It was about two years ago ,and was done at norfolk sporting guns in wymondham norfolk . I t was the bottom barrel on a browni ng over and under with disc set strikers . The owner is a proper time served gun smith and is a very nice man . Harnser .

no bud ,sounds as if its weak springs, most firing pins dont wear away, exept browning or miroku pins sometimes splinter on the nose, which gives a cratered appearance, to change pins and springs is usually a simple job except some side by sides you need a tool to remove the retaining plate which is seen on the face of the action with 3 hole where the tool fits to tighten/unscrew the plate.

Harnser, quite beleivable , a mate of mine is a gunsmith and recently did two for me , 2 screws to remove but pad, a long bolt in there to remove but , 2 screws to remove firing pins , lathe on , measure old one , turn down new one and put the lot back together again , infact he said sod it while we are here lets do both , job done start to finish in 1/2 hour.

Harnser, quite beleivable , a mate of mine is a gunsmith and recently did two for me , 2 screws to remove but pad, a long bolt in there to remove but , 2 screws to remove firing pins , lathe on , measure old one , turn down new one and put the lot back together again , infact he said sod it while we are here lets do both , job done start to finish in 1/2 hour.

now your having a laugh !! 1/2 hour to make and fit 2 pins and rebuild the gun !! come on :hmm: btw its my understanding that firing pins are heat treated (hardened )

so don't expect your 1/2 hour pins to last long ...Unless im wrong again ....

I was merely being realistic when i said i cant see a gunshop doing the job for £15 but then again it depends on how well you get on with them and if the repair in house or ship it out and if they make the parts or buy them !!!

£50 -70 is more realistic

Edited by jayward

I told you how that was, we took a SLR gas rod and turned it down on a lathe to the dimensions of the old pins, top pin is longer than bottom pin.You need some case hardened steel and an engineer with a metal lathe is all to make firing pins , really very easy, now about your springs I dont know , but why do they have to be replaced?Are the broken?If not I would fit the new pins and test them , there are 3 tests, you can cock the hammers,disengage the holding open lever and fire the pin into your thumb, if it hurts like fikkers there is nowt wrong with it , alternativly place a penny over the pin and fire the penny upwards with it , if it attains 6 feet odd air hight again its ok, and thirdly fit pins and go to the clay ground and test.No bange springs weak.

Hope you understand, just reread it and its a bit :welcomeani: but understandable I think.