How much does a pigeon eat

Blackbart

Anybody got any stats on the volume a pigeon eats per day?The reason i ask is i have a huge flock of birds just 2 fields from my house happily feeding every day in anything up to 1000 birds but the problem is the farmer doesnt like guns on his land,he hasnt said a flat NO,but he hasnt sad yes either so i thought if i could try again armed with some ammunition in the form of how much they are eating and how far its going to put the rape back etc etc i might have a better chance of a yes,especially when the lost ££ signs are highlighted for him.

College boy farmer who I shoot for, nice bloke though, reckons that from planting to harvest the pigeons take 30%, so of the 3000 acres he plants, he reckons about a 1000 acres are for the pigeons. Tell the farmer that, farmers understand percentages. I believe it too, the place is infested with the birds, and my mate and me, who seem to be the only regular guns out of the six we are now down to, who shoot the place, just can't handle it. Phone the other guns, and they are too busy.

Where have all the keen shooters gone? They aint down here. Once a month just doesn't cut it with the farmer, to the point where he is phoning the ones he hasn't seen for a while, and told them not to come back. He reckons they just apply for permission to get the certificate, then take it out the cabinet once a week to polish it.

Edited by Jim Sarakun

Farmer FARMER! I doubt that he's a very good one if he doesn't realise how much damage pigeons are doing to his crops. In monetary terms it could be 1000's and most smaller farmers (not forgetting the larger ones either) cannot afford to lose 1000's from what is probably a pretty small income anyway.

Buy Chris Greens first pigeon shooting DVD, he counts the grains in a full crop them does the maths for the amount lost due to non production from the sown seed

Adds up to a hell of a lot

Dave

Brilliant DVD and quite comical. Makes you realize the damage they can cause, just drop the DVD in when passing and tell him to watch it, before the DVD finishes he will be ringing you to get out there with the shotgun :yes: