patterdale

scotlass

hi, can anyone help me solve my problem with my patterdale? he continually sucks at my labs leg and she has now got a big sore on it. He is 2yrs old but he is a bit neurotic! he will have a go at my border terrier pup for no reason, and can be a bit aggresive with my wee girl, but this problem with always hanging on to labs neck and totally harassing her is driving me nuts, the lab is dressed and 6yrs old. Any advice appreciated. thanx :hmm:

Is your "wee girl" your daughter by any chance?

And could anyone please clarify....."the lab is dressed "

NTTF

NTTF - clearly the terminology varies slightly here in God's country (Scotland - for the avoidance of doubt). :hmm:;):lol:

The "wee girl" is undoubtedly the scotlass' daughter and "the lab is dressed" refers to the fact the lab is a bitch which has been spayed.

WGD

Well he just attacks the border, totally unprovoked. He doesnt attack the lab, he just sucks her leg till its really sore.

He has bit me in the past and when he was 6 wks if you lifted him when he was sleeping he would growl and show his teeth, he still does that, and he barks constantly!

I have 4 dogs and he is the only one that behaves in this way, the other 3 are good natured obedient dogs, so who knows where I have gone wrong with him

Seeing as your Dughter is involved and that the dog is a proven biter not only of people , but your other dog as well...as you say,"he just attacks the border, totally unprovoked", and, " He has bit me in the past ", and, "can be a bit aggresive with my wee girl" you probably are not going to like my answer.

When You Meet A Dog From Hell Send It Back!

Your Daughter is far to precious to play roulette with. I would hate to see her face scared by a dog that was a proven problem. When small children are involved get rid of the dog.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear but is My opinion. There are far to many nice dogs looking for homes to risk having a proven aggressive animal around.

NTTF

I'm ABSOLUTELY no expert but I have to agree with NTTF, no place in the family home for a dog with an aggresion issue. I'm sure there are homes out there which would suit him where he could be kennelled and used for ratting?

WGD

I have had him since he was 5 weeks old, and he can be a loving wee dog :yes: I dont know what to do. Do you think if I took him to agility or something he would settle down. I have tried to get a farmer to let me take him ratting in the past but never had any luck (with farmers) I really need to explore every angle before I would think of rehoming him as her is very attached to me :good:

Personnally if she was mine she would be gone. However as you want to vet every angle and try working her I would look to see if there were any rat packs in your area, or get her out rough hunting.

This may just entail finding someone that hunts rabbits in and around you and joining them as a dog handler.

Alot of your problems are because she was out of the litter at 5 weeks. She missed 3 very important social developement weeks by leaving the litter this early.

Do some searching and asking at the local pub and find those that hunt and or rat in your area.

NTTF

I know your right about being taken away from her mum too early, but if I hadnt taken him he would haver been drowned. I am based in Ayrshire WGD

I'm the north side of Glasgow but shoot clays in Ayrshire - will have an ask about and if anyone has somewhere you can take him hunting I'll PM you.

WGD

I'm not too sure it was that much too early Nttf I've always had Jack Russels go at 6 weeks and they've all been fine. The big issue here I think is the fact its a patterdale, cracking workers and in particular killers but that doesn't make them the best house or companion dog. I've seen quite a few that just want to fight anything and thats with a variety of owners. This has lived with other dogs and with an experienced owner the bite if it was at 6 weeks isn't much to worry about but the effect on your other dogs is. To me you have two options firstly to re-home the dog where it will live on its own or possibly in a working home where it will be kenneled and the second is to have it put down. Working isn't going to make him more sociable with your other dogs, I take its proper fighting and not play fighting gone a bit over the top?

No, he does have a proper go at the pup. Its strange, sometimes they all get on great and then other times hes a grumpy wee ******. He is borderxpatterdale and i know the rest of the litter, who are all good natured. He is jealous of the pup though.

He is a wee killing machine thats for sure, he first killed one of my hens when he was 10 weeks! The thing is hes not aggresive with anybody elses dogs. He definately has issues and he has severe seperation anxiety (he goes nuts) but he is very obedient and loyal. I dont know I think I need to get the Dog Whiperer!

Yeh i had a wee pat bitch & she was the same from 8weeks on with my labs & 1 in particular but the 2 were good pals & i even kenneled them together but have seen labs kill terriers in a kennel etc.She was good with the kids like a border you could switch her on/off but she had to hang of my yellow lab bitches neck every morning but she wasent nasty with it & i keep terriers kenneld seperate from each other. I sold her on as i had no work for her to a family with a yellow lab bitch too & told them all about her & she dose the same to the other lab but she was still a pup & i think got worse with age. Think you be best get rid to a good working home as i sounds like he needs it PM me as i could proberly home this dog with a friend & or keeper if you want.

Many Patts and Fell terriers are from hard, keen working strains, not really ment to be 'pet' or 'lap' dogs, years ago on a whim I bought an 8 week old Fell terrier dog from a known ( from the Buck line of Leyburn area ) foxing strain and collected him shortly after he had been teararcing about and then fed, he was very sleepy and I put him beside me on the passenger seat of the car for the 25 mile journey home.

He went straight asleep, about half way home he lifted his head and I spoke to him and reached out to stroke him but as I touched him he growled (did'nt show his teeth) deeply and he remained like that, grouchy, all his life - 16yrs - during which he shared a kennel with two different Labs with whom he was dominant towards but very friendly.

He was a brilliant working terrier, brainy and completely fearles, we dug down to many foxes using him, he did occasionally show a little affection which was a golden moment but any affection shown to him was usually spurned!

I've got two Jack Russell's now they work but live in the house, need I say any more.

Cheers, C.B. :blink:

in my days as a terrierman i used the patterdale nuttal lines old school type i use to call them one dig dog's we use to release at the mouth of the earth and next time we met our terrier he would be jaw to jaw with his game .one quick dig dispatch game fill in hole and gone before any hairy scumbags caught us.we could not afford to have a tempermental terrier where we would have to dig 2-3-4 holes to get to quarry.we use to get heavey policeing and heaverly SABBED patt's where the dog's for me even when i judged terrier shows all over england ireland and wales

I have had good advice from everyone and he sounds true to form, he hangs off my labs neck aswell! I am going to persevere with him, as he is my wee boy :stupid: I have been doing a lot more 1 to 1 with him and he seems to be responding to this well, he seems happier anyway. So it continues!!