Cheapo hot smoker

henry d

The foil is loosely attached to the underside of the bars of the cake rack(or whatever you are using) this prevents the moisture from the fish/meat dripping onto the charring woodchips/sawdust.

As for wood, I use whatever is handy, usually beech, but if I could get my hands on oak I would use that, or cherry/apple/whatever !

I also moved up in the world to this set up >>Another clicky<< and will be starting on my cold smoker in the summer :oops:

Hope that helps :rolleyes:

Thanks a lot,atb nid :oops:

having trouble getting mine lit, how do i light it up then people?:rolleyes: im stuck i a rut, and i would like to get it going... how do i get mine to light and stay lit, im using an open flame not a gas cooker or stove, do i put the flame UNDER the box with the wood in or in the box with the wood in???

thanx

You don`t light it, you let it smoulder by placing it on top of a low heat source, I use either a gas stove or my cooker and set it on low, the idea is to get the heat building up slow so that the smoke percolates and the temperature rises slowly and leaves the food tender and smokey !!

ok guys here is my smoker, i got it going today, it is only my mini one for now, until i can make a bigger version, it is great, im using apple wood and chicken today, it is raining but it is still going strong, under neath is actually a patio heater, i just lifted the top piece off (removable) and then place the smoker on there the smoker is made up of a buiscuit tin 4 screws and a large cooking oil tin and by heck it can take the heat... mmm tasty

post-14088-1239883066.jpg

and here is the chicken in the actual food box.... i havent got the cooling rack to fit inside it just yet so i just steralized the base and lobbed it in :good: but the only downside with this way is you have to open it and flip them half way through...

oh and the hole in the middle is to let the smoke up from the smoke box, this i drilled with a paddle bit, and then got a pair of pliers and bent the edge of it up a little to stop juice dropping through it...

now im posting these in the time im doing them

the chicken went in at 12:37 it is now cooked i just tried a bit and i think its GORGEOUS you guys gotta make one of these bloody brill :good:

post-14088-1239883293.jpg

Edited by mark_mjs93

Make sure you use the right wood though, some will give acrid/unpleasant flavours :good:

henry

for what reason would you hot smoke or cold smoke and why? i must get round to making my smoker I think Bagsy knows all about it cause Mung said Bagsy smokes men a while back :good:

A bit of a warning about the right woods as HenryD quite rightly pointed out.

I used to sell shavings to a couple of chaps who came into my workshop on a regular basis. Normally people want them for animal bedding.... some wanted graded chips or dust. Some paid a premium for cherry/apple or Oak. These couple of chaps took anything they could - including the stuff with MDF in. You guessed it, it turned out there were smoking food for sale in local delis! After that I moved anyway but they still carried on using any rubbish (mixed wood and MDF they could.

A bit of a warning about the right woods as HenryD quite rightly pointed out.

I used to sell shavings to a couple of chaps who came into my workshop on a regular basis. Normally people want them for animal bedding.... some wanted graded chips or dust. Some paid a premium for cherry/apple or Oak. These couple of chaps took anything they could - including the stuff with MDF in. You guessed it, it turned out there were smoking food for sale in local delis! After that I moved anyway but they still carried on using any rubbish (mixed wood and MDF they could.

umm MDF, are we talking glue sniffing :good:

I really need to try this, that fish HD took a pic of looks amazing! I think I'll try to make a more posh version by hinging the two tins together. Not sure about using old ammo boxes, what does the green paint taste like :good:

EDIT.... I just thought, how big do the wood chips have to be? I run all sorts of stuff trough my Timberwolf and get chips about 5-10mm thick and 30mm square. Would these be too big or not? There's a big hickory in our local park, I'm sure it wouldn't miss a small branch :blush:

Can you use fresh chip or does it need to be seasoned timber?

Edited by njc110381

henry

for what reason would you hot smoke or cold smoke and why?

Hot smoking cooks the food and some people prefer their food cooked, cold smoking and th associated salting and drying, cures food so it can be stored longer and it doesn`t cook the food, but you have the option of either eating it cured by the cold smoking or you can use it in cooking. JUST DON`T POACH SMOKED SALMON IN MILK LIKE MY GRAN DID !!!

:hmm:

I really need to try this, that fish HD took a pic of looks amazing! I think I'll try to make a more posh version by hinging the two tins together. Not sure about using old ammo boxes, what does the green paint taste like :good:

It will be easier to store the other way but hey, it`s your smoker !

EDIT.... I just thought, how big do the wood chips have to be? I run all sorts of stuff trough my Timberwolf and get chips about 5-10mm thick and 30mm square. Would these be too big or not? There's a big hickory in our local park, I'm sure it wouldn't miss a small branch :lol:

Too big mate, I use the stuff from my chainsaw(cooking oil replaces the chain oil) and it cuts 1mm thick x 5mm wide x 10-20mm long

Can you use fresh chip or does it need to be seasoned timber?

Never used fresh, always use seasoned stuff, however some hot smokers say to use damp dust/chips.

I get a feeling I will have to work on a Hot/Cold smoker pinned thread with more pics :blush: