Manchester CSC

paulos

I think it's squadded on the Saturday, so you'll need to phone & book in.

It's not an easy ground to find, like a lot of grounds there are no signposts, and when you eventually find the right track off the main road, just keep on driving as far as you can go, it's a long way from civilization.

There will be lots of fast, whippy targets zipping through gaps in the trees, so keep practicing the skeet & you'll be well prepared.

Cat.

I'll be there, it's my local ground :lol:

Potholes have been filled in (again) should last a few weeks. :lol: Tarmac is for gaylords :lol:

Shot a comp there yesterday, with some big names there, Graham Stirzaker and Kevin Mayor etc. Didn't see any big scores there though :lol:

Tough course and the wind made it worse - got me beat anyway :lol:

Junction 13 off the M60, and get yourself on the B5211 Barton Road towards Eccles. After a mile or so, there's a car wash on one side of the road and a red-painted corner shop opposite. Take Grange Road, down the side of the corner shop and keep going tiill you hit the dirt track and open country. There's signs nailed to trees then :lol:

Edited by Chard

Chard - some potholes may have been filled. The road is an absolute disgrace. I have been down there in my 4 x 4 - still bumpy. Went down Sunday in my lad's quick motor and it was truly awful. A bit more money spent on the road and a bit less on the "corporate day out" market, would be money well spent.

The signing on arrangements are dreadful - slowest I have seen in last 30 years.

Chard - some potholes may have been filled. The road is an absolute disgrace. I have been down there in my 4 x 4 - still bumpy. Went down Sunday in my lad's quick motor and it was truly awful. A bit more money spent on the road and a bit less on the "corporate day out" market, would be money well spent.

The signing on arrangements are dreadful - slowest I have seen in last 30 years.

:hmm: :hmm: :lol:

It's like going over a cattle grid - the faster you go, the less you feel the bumps :lol:

I agree about the signing-in. We must have queued for about 30 minutes :yes: I left my lad outside with the guns while we were queuing. I'm trying to get him interested in shooting. Poor little sod was bored senseless before we'd even fired a shot :yes: :yp: :lol:

what i want to know is how come its squadded saturday? its hardly fair for those that can only make saturday. why dont the cpsa make them do the same both days :blush:

The reason's simple, they don't intend to have scorers on every stand, it saves them money.

Hell will freeze over before the CPSA can dictate to ground owners how they run their shoots.

You've been warned on this one, get there early if you're shooting on the Sunday, if you turn up at 10.30 it'll take you an hour to get booked in. :lol:

Cat.

yeah i know, i had the misfortune of going a couple of years ago and it clashed with the manchester 1/2 marathon. took me like 2 hours to get out of manchester centre after stopping at a mates then about a 3/4 to book in, followed by about 4 hours to shoot and during all that it never stopped raining. not a pleasant day by any means....

• 2 weeks later...

We've decided we're going to be squadded on the Saturday and do "birds only", then we don't need a scorer with us, we can do our own, and we don't have to phone and book in. Apparently, we can just turn up and start missing :P;):P

We're all fairly ****, so I see no point in paying serious cash to enter with the big boys. We've decided we just want to see if we can hit a few :good:

Apparently (don't quote me) birds only will be £25 :lol:

Better than last comp there, where the birds only brigade had to stump up the same as the serious entrants :no:

Hope to see one or two of you there. I might even come and spectate on the Sunday. Be there or be square :hmm:

I will be going I want that Badge!!!!!!!!!

However I have just had a Kick EEze pad fitted and seem to be off form lately and have only shot every 3 weeks or so this year due to work and bad weather!

Look forward to reading how everyone gets on :welcomeani:

And the horror storys :yes:

Well I shot like a *** ???

Very disappointed. It wasn't a particularly hard course, but it didn't happen for me at all

Hit some difficult ones, missed the easy ones, usual stunt. Nothing there I couldn't hit, I just didn't hit enough of them :no:

My only high point was hitting 6/8 on a stand of 4 simultaneous pairs of floating crossers, where Brett Winstanley got 1/8 ???

Humbling experience again - you think you're doing alright till you shoot a competition like this and it brings you back to earth with a bang :yes::lol: :lol:

Nice to meet Mr Potter from here, didn't see Cat (wouldn't have recognised him if I did). Thought I mght have recognised a face from a photo of an Essex Mafia shoot - not sure who it was though (sponsored by somebody in Rickmansworth and a bit of a nifty shot) ???

Edited by Chard

Hi Chard.

Do you not think that "thinking about it" made you shoot under pressure instead of just shooting how you normally do.

The subconscious thoughts that we think about can make us shoot to a lower standard than what we are capable of.

I shoot a lot better when I don't think about it and I never start adding scores up half way round. My mate is always adding up and he hasn't beaten me for weeks and if you watch his style of shooting instead of being relaxed he tries too hard and looks very clumsy.

Just a thought.

Hi Chard.

Do you not think that "thinking about it" made you shoot under pressure instead of just shooting how you normally do.

The subconscious thoughts that we think about can make us shoot to a lower standard than what we are capable of.

I shoot a lot better when I don't think about it and I never start adding scores up half way round. My mate is always adding up and he hasn't beaten me for weeks and if you watch his style of shooting instead of being relaxed he tries too hard and looks very clumsy.

Just a thought.

I agree completely, I discussed something along these lines with Joe, the target setter today. It shouldn't have affected me, as I was shooting birds only and Joe told me before I started that there was nothing there that I hadn't encountered before :no:

I'm not exactly a shy and retiring person ???:lol: :lol: ??? ??? so I can't understand why shooting in prestigious company and a slightly more challenging course than usual should throw me, but it did. Probably one of the attributes of being a top shot is that they can rise above all this psychological ****, whereas I just dig myself a hole :yes:

Hi Chard,

Sorry we didn't make contact today, as expected things didn't exactly go according to plan, left home at 6am, we didn't start shooting till 10.40, (we were promised a 9.30 start..??), the birds were all over the place in the wind, I shot a couple of stands early on seriously bad.. :no::yes: , but got my act together later on but could only manage a 81. :lol::lol:

Still, no excuses..!!, I can't blame anybody or anything for my below par performance, just got to try a bit harder next time..!!

Good luck to those that are shooting on Sunday,

Cat.

Hi Chard,

Sorry we didn't make contact today, as expected things didn't exactly go according to plan, left home at 6am, we didn't start shooting till 10.40, (we were promised a 9.30 start..??), the birds were all over the place in the wind, I shot a couple of stands early on seriously bad.. :no::yes: , but got my act together later on but could only manage a 81. :lol::lol:

Still, no excuses..!!, I can't blame anybody or anything for my below par performance, just got to try a bit harder next time..!!

Good luck to those that are shooting on Sunday,

Cat.

I would have said 81 was pretty reasonable, though there were quite a lot in the 80's, I believe. One of the scorers told me that all the shooters in his squad were in the 80's but none got 90. I left fairly sharpish and didn't stick around for the scores ??? but I wasn't aware of anybody in the 90's when I left (mind you, there were plenty of good shots still out there). I know Brett Winstanley got an 83, but I think he totally screwed just 2 stands, one of which was the one where I saw him get 1/8 ???

Yep,

I know that Phil Smith shot a 91, I still don't reckon that will win it, I can still see a 94 somewhere..??

Perhaps I'm wrong..??

Cat.

Don't know how Kevin Mayor got on, but he looked like a man on a mission :no:

I didn't see the likes of Graham Stirzaker and Mike Nicholson, who usually manage 90-odd, perhaps they'll be there tomorrow. Hope the weather holds up for them, I think we were very lucky apart from a bit of wind. I drove through a hell of a downpour on the M60 on my way to Worsley this morning, but it cleared by the time I got there.

well i went and shot like a ***. you northeners know how to baffle me. i didnt manage to straight a single stand. i overlead virtually everything i missed, i cant say ive ever shot a ground quite like that before, if you gave anything lead you missed.

i think theres a 95 plus out there to someone in the groove. its just nothing really had power on it and curled in the air. i certainly need more practice at this sort stuff!

well i went and shot like a ***. you northeners know how to baffle me. i didnt manage to straight a single stand. i overlead virtually everything i missed, i cant say ive ever shot a ground quite like that before, if you gave anything lead you missed.

i think theres a 95 plus out there to someone in the groove. its just nothing really had power on it and curled in the air. i certainly need more practice at this sort stuff!

:D :D :D:lol:

Yes it's an interesting course :yes:

A few people tell me it's an easy course, but I tend to think they're either trying (unsuccessfully) to sound flash, or they're shooting the practice stands behind the clubhouse :lol:

I didn't straight a single stand either. I got a 7/8 and a couple of 5/6's but other than that I was ****.

Strange that you overlead everything ;) I'd have thought that's quite an unusual problem :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes it's an interesting course :hmm:

A few people tell me it's an easy course, but I tend to think they're either trying (unsuccessfully) to sound flash, or they're shooting the practice stands behind the clubhouse :lol:

I didn't straight a single stand either. I got a 7/8 and a couple of 5/6's but other than that I was ****.

Strange that you overlead everything :hmm: I'd have thought that's quite an unusual problem :hmm:

well chard, i think you will find a difference if and when you shoot the likes of southdown / wylye / hodnet where there is distance and speed.

i must admit i have never shot so many skeet shells on a 100 sporting and felt almost overchoked with 1/2 1/2. there was nothing of any distance and anything that did look out there wanted little to no lead. the furthest birds were a pair of floppy crossers down by the driven and they literally floated past infront of you. i think the reason it shoots hard is that there is so much concentration required on every target which most of us are probably not used to. as i said earlier a 95+ should be possible and it sounds like it was done according to mr turk. biggest gripe of the day really goes to having to pay £40 for a complete shambles of organisation. they obviously dont have many people turn up at a normal shoot!