Tree felling/trimming advice

henry d

Henry,

Although i understand you want to cut the tree down yourself, would it not be worth employing the services of a tree-surgeon to do the delicate work (cutting round the cables) They would have all the right tools and above all Public Liability Ins.

This would just leave the cutting down and logging to do yourself

For electric cables the power company will normally trim back the braches for free but Bt will not as youve corectly been told.

The two tree lengths rule is aplicable to power but Im not sure about phone. I do a lot of tree work and would never normally notify BT, Id simply pole saw, picker or trim from ropes any overhang then either sectionally fell or fell from the ground.

As an ameture, DO NOT USE THE CHAIN SAW UP A LADDER.

Obviusly for power you do need to notify.

Stop faffing about H, a box of well placed bb 12G will be far safer than climbing which could result in falling and injury, and the HSE getting on your, no, your sisters case.

If it all goes tits up, run :blush:

LB

Someones been watching jeremy clarkson, hilarious :blush:

Sorted guys, medium height birch, neighbours agree, no presevation orders and not in a conservation area :blush:

Gonna have a bit of fun with my brother and bro in law !!

Again many thanks for the advice :blush:

Just go careful Henry, even the smallest job with a chainsaw is dangerous:

"A TREE surgeon died today after he was cutting branches at a private house and accidentally wounding himself.

The man, aged in his 20s, was working on a tree at the home in Park Gate, Hailsham, East Sussex.

Sussex Police were called by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service just after 11am to find the victim high up in the tree.

A police spokeswoman said: “The Health and Safety Executive have been informed. This is being treated as an industrial accident.â€

Paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service attended along with a Coastguard helicopter but the man, who has not been named but came from Eastbourne, was pronounced dead at the scene."

Can I suggest that if you a going to just fell it tie some rope around the middle of the tree and tie the other end to something like a 4x4 long enough so it doesnt fall on your car, so when you fell it it goes away from the cable. You'll be able to cut the tree down with a bow saw as birch wood is soft. Remember to cut a wedge out. And I am hoping the tree is not leaning towards the cable.

Edited by dustyfox