is there any way..........

russ91

......... of finding out what the rabbit population is like on your permishon.

the main problem i have is that the warrens on my permishon ar on railway bankings that are coverd in folage brabes ect so i cnt actualy see them as they come out of the warren.

i have tryed sitting out into the field with the wind in my face but the rabbits dont seem to come out dureing the day so i have no idea what the population is like.

use your N,V it means sittin out in the cold with a flask of coffe count em for a bit then reduce the no:'s a bit all in all a job well done no doubt :good::sly:

Sounds like a long cold job to me! I would drive round with a lamp an hour or so after dark, and again an hour before dawn. If they don't come out during the day as you say, you are going to have to lamp them to shoot them anyway.

......... of finding out what the rabbit population is like on your permishon.

the main problem i have is that the warrens on my permishon ar on railway bankings that are coverd in folage brabes ect so i cnt actualy see them as they come out of the warren.

i have tryed sitting out into the field with the wind in my face but the rabbits dont seem to come out dureing the day so i have no idea what the population is like.

I dont think you will be able to tell just how many you have, just have to rely on experience in fieldcraft, to be able to pick up on the tell tale signs of activity, fresh droppings, fur pulled out during mating, extra scrapes and of course crop damage where they graze further out in the field.

A good time to observe bunny activity is when it has been raining hard all day and night, they graze just enough to stave off the hunger and retreat back in the burrows where its dry, if its stopped raining next morning they will all be out til later than normal trying to catch up on lost feeding time.

:good: D2D

well i went out this morning to see if there was any prints in the snow and on one proticuler field there was bluddy loads leeding from the run into the undergrowth to tufts of grass that stands abouth the snow so i will get out some time soon and take a few but leave a few.