German Wirrhaired Pointer on a Hen Pheasant

DOD,

The good thing about her working in that video is that she will only get better. As long as you work them into the wind, if there is anything there, they will find it.

From looking at the video I would say that the wind was coming from over your R/H shoulder, as soon as she scented the pheasant she did a double back to where the scent was coming from. I also noticed that she was following the ground scent quite quickly. If there are any doubters out there, of a pointers worth? Have a look at that video this is a young dog just starting off. She is working very efficiently at the moment, but will get better. The GWP is one of the best all round working dogs that I have ever seen.

Well done Rich, you have a cracking dog in the making there.

TC

Deeks,

I have just watched the video again.

I must say the way she turned when she winded the bird, the way she hunted for the air scent in the swirling air caused by the trees was well worth watching. I love seeing dogs work and anyone who knows anything about dog work will have enjoyed that. Pity the bird would not stay still long enough for her to come on point, the close presence of you and the springer putting the bird on edge.

The way she is turning out I am so glad I talked you into having her. :angry::hmm:

TC

TC, Glad you liked the clip! the wind was in my face at the time, she had already put up a couple of cocks earlier on. As we were passing this ditch I saw her taking a lot of notice of it. So we walked down along it. Had I the pup on the lead you would have seen that GWP crawl down along the ditch like a cat. I thought that the reason she turned was coz she ran out of ground sent, but what ever it was she worked that bird lovely, been trying to get a clip like that for ages.

Shot that video with the mobile phone so I'll have to take a few more of her for Mrs. S.

The birds around here are mostly escapes from a local estate and they're a very jumpy strain of bird, they'll rarely hold.

Edited by deeksofdoom

nice to see deeks, its amazing their sense of smell, mine is being a *** at the moment because we have a lot of rabbits that have been shot and left where they lay. She picks the scent up at about 200 yards and homes straight in. if its fresh it gets brought back but if its rotten she likes to play :good: means she's on the lead more than I like but hey its early days

• 3 weeks later...

Loving these vids deeks :) remind me of the early days with my own GWP. Be carefull chasing pheasants at this time of year, last thing you want is your dog flushing a hen thats rearing a brood. Wont make you very popular with other club members, It happend me 2 years ago :yahoo: and I wasnt even after pheasants. You plan on working that young springer with your pointer?

Well done Deeks, :) you keep up with the videos and you will have a complete training manual before long. :yahoo:

Thanks TC, a complete training manual of what I don't know but well make something anyway. She was a little bit unsteady in the retrieving one coz of the springer being around as well, only thing is she has a habit of dropping the dummy when she comes back to me. Think its coz she's wet and she wants to have a good shake on top of me but I'll just kep her on dry land and make her bring it back to hand to see if I can get her out of it.

Loving these vids deeks :yahoo: remind me of the early days with my own GWP. Be carefull chasing pheasants at this time of year, last thing you want is your dog flushing a hen thats rearing a brood. Wont make you very popular with other club members, It happend me 2 years ago :drool: and I wasnt even after pheasants. You plan on working that young springer with your pointer?

Glad you like the vids and your dead right about the clutches, will have to be more careful! The Springer I got for beating but but it'll be interesting to see how the 2 of them hunt together when they're older or i've dropped a few birds over them. Not too many GWPs around Ireland, but I see a guy with a couple on the 'Shooters Digest' doing well at HPR field trials.

Hey folks a guy on an Irish forum has a few questions on these amazing dogs, any chance you could help with a few answers here and I will post them on the other site

"I previously had a GSP which I used for hunting Pheasants, Snipe Woodcock and Ducks. He was fairly good but The main problem I had was that I could not get him to retrieve. I was told before I bought him that it came very naturally to the breed but no matter what I tried I could not get him to retrieve.

Also he was not to fond of going into hedges or heavy cover (ie after woodcock). I have never seen a wire hair in action but ive heard they are very good for hunting heavy cover.

Can anybody let me know the pros and cons of each."

• 2 weeks later...
Hey folks a guy on an Irish forum has a few questions on these amazing dogs, any chance you could help with a few answers here and I will post them on the other site

"I previously had a GSP which I used for hunting Pheasants, Snipe Woodcock and Ducks. He was fairly good but The main problem I had was that I could not get him to retrieve. I was told before I bought him that it came very naturally to the breed but no matter what I tried I could not get him to retrieve.

Also he was not to fond of going into hedges or heavy cover (ie after woodcock). I have never seen a wire hair in action but ive heard they are very good for hunting heavy cover.

Can anybody let me know the pros and cons of each."

I find with my GWP that he'd rather have a look around before going into brambles, but remember, they have "2" Coats, the first one is there to be lost in heavy stuff !

Retrieving is natural with my dog, I don't know about others though

:yes:

Well done Deeks, :yes: you keep up with the videos and you will have a complete training manual before long. ;)

Thanks TC, a complete training manual of what I don't know but well make something anyway. She was a little bit unsteady in the retrieving one coz of the springer being around as well, only thing is she has a habit of dropping the dummy when she comes back to me. Think its coz she's wet and she wants to have a good shake on top of me but I'll just kep her on dry land and make her bring it back to hand to see if I can get her out of it.

Loving these vids deeks :D remind me of the early days with my own GWP. Be carefull chasing pheasants at this time of year, last thing you want is your dog flushing a hen thats rearing a brood. Wont make you very popular with other club members, It happend me 2 years ago :hmm: and I wasnt even after pheasants. You plan on working that young springer with your pointer?

Glad you like the vids and your dead right about the clutches, will have to be more careful! The Springer I got for beating but but it'll be interesting to see how the 2 of them hunt together when they're older or i've dropped a few birds over them. Not too many GWPs around Ireland, but I see a guy with a couple on the 'Shooters Digest' doing well at HPR field trials.

RIchard,

just a thought, maybe worth trying .............. get her to sit the moment she comes out of the water?