Debit Card Fraud

steve_b_wales

On the morning of 20th March, I use my HSBC debit card to withdraw some cash from a Royal Bank of Scotland ATM in Cardiff. A few days later, when cheking my account via online banking, I noticed that on the same day, someone has 'used' my card to pay £50 for a Tesco mobile top up. It was also used to pay £17.30 for a Chinese meal in Aberdeen!

These amounts were taken within 11 hours of me using the ATM.

The bank has said that I will get my money back once they are certain that it's fraud. Although I am the victim here, I am still amazed what has happened and hope to find out how my card was 'cloned'.

Anyone else had similar problems?

Edited by steve_b_wales

i know how your feeling mate its a rite pain in the ####. i had getting on for £500 go out of my account ranging from £10 for something in London to £150 to screwfix in yeovil! to make matters worse i found it out in the week leading up to a holiday. to be fair the bank was helpful locally as the bank i went to first up in cambridge didn't do the rite proceedure and the card was able to be used by them again.

returned all the money though once they've done there investigations so you don't lose out on anything just your time sorting it out.

Another little trick that's been used, is they will get all your details (ie old credit card statements from your bin).

Phone you up out of the blue, and all very nice, friendly and very professional say Hello Mr XXXX we're calling you from XXXX (your credit card company) and we are doing a routine call to make sure your details are correct.

They ask simple questions like are you still living at this address ( Now remember they have got all your information from an old credit card statement), so all they are doing is checking your details are still correct. They will even ask if there are any comments you would like to make (as the banks usually do). They will have read out your card number, your total credit limit and your balance etc making you believe they are from your bank. They will then ask you to make sure you are who you say you are and can you confirm your security question, valid from and expiry dates. And finally the last three digits on the reverse side of your card......

Thats it they now have all your details and can go shopping all over the world.

I had my card cloned a few weeks ago. We had driven on the mainland, which is a change from the norm. Went into cherwell valley services for some diesel, and within a day 500 quid had been spent on catalogues, and betting lines. Abbey took about a month to sort it.

Neither the card company or the police seemed the remotest bit interested in catching the criminals even though there were delivery adresses for the catalogue items and various other audit trails.

The filling station chip and pin probably had been tampered with to record the details according to the police. They only said they would raid the place if a pattern emerged.

I was watching a programme on this and the way they do it is amazing. I think there is 3 people doing the con. 1 to look over your shoulder seeing you put the pin in, then your card gets stuck in the machine when another guy says you better go in the shop to get it sorted out. while your in the shop there off with your card. Dont know what the third person does I think he is the look out. There is usually something attached to the bit where you put your card in that gets it stuck.

Thats one way of doing it but there are more out there so be careful.

DF

I had mine skimmed a while back. It's simple to do, and you can buy the equipment to do it online. They simply put your card through a device which copies all the electronic information, and then transfer that to a hooky card of their own. They then have a card, and all the information needed to do as they please with.

TSB had my money back in my account within 48 hours.

We lost £900 last year, it would have been more but we had already cancelled our cards. The phone thing does seem to be a favourite of the fraudsters, they did the same with mine (they spent £50 on phone credit & tried to spend £200 on a phone).

The worst thing about it all is that the bank had the address of the person/s who used my details & wouldn`t prosecute because it wouldn`t be financially worth it. They got my details through hacking my computer, regardless of the security we had.

Edited by bullterrier

I got stung for lots of money while i have been away, strange thing is i have only used the card twice in 6 months so somone had a nice knock on the front door the other morning.

Turns out they had got the long strip number from the middle (by scanning it) then fliped over the card handing it back and remembered the 3 digit security code on the back.

They set up a paypal account as you only need this info and paypal doesnt check the card address like online shops do.

If you ever see a nominal ammount put IN to your account cancel your card as they are trying to see if the account is active.

the bank go on about chip and pin being a new way to beat fraud when I went to new zealand 10 years ago they had it. 10 years is plenty of time to find a easy way to beat it. Our country is miles behind other in technology

Yeah but we would rather have top of the range TV's and mobile phones than top of the range anti card theft.