What do you consider the best shot size

PEREGRINE

Hi guys 2 questions for everybody:

1. What would you say the best shot size for shooting woody's over decoys is? I am using 6 shot at the moment but am considering 7's the last couple of times out, the birds have been dropping right into the kill zone at about 25-30 yards, and some of them are being hit a bit hard, dont know if its because my decoying is improving or i've juts been lucky lately but I am not having to pull down those long birds that come for a look, but dont commit themselves.

2. Do pigeons still fly, feed and come to decoys in the rain?

Maybe stupid questions but I have only been shooting pigeons regularly for about 6 months before that I just used to shoot them whenever I happened to come across them.

Any help would be appreciated :lol:

I use Eley Hawk Best Pigeon, 6.1/2 shot 32 gms. felt wad.

My mate used some 7s clay cartridges a few weeks ago on a bumper day, he ran out of his usual 6s and got the 7s from the car. We shot 66 pigeon, a much larger number of birds than usual were pricked and not killed outright. We put it down to Garys 7s, and wont repeat the excersise. I did offer my mate some of my cartridges but he declined, as he claimed that they had too much kick for him.

webber

I will go out in any weather mate... :lol:

I have shot plenty of birds in light rain... But in heavy rain they tend to stay put in their sitty trees.. When it does break they will often feed in a hurry before the weather turn bad again.

I always take a couple of Crow decoys with me incase the weather turns bad and put these out. Crows and to some extent Jackdaws and Rooks appear to be on the wing in the most atrocious of weather.

FM.

Used some 6.5 cartridges the other day and they worked very well enough in the spread with plenty of hit in them. I use a 32 inch browning with a tight choke and my dad uses a 28 with an open choke so i take the longer birds and he takes the close ones. It works and i hit a bird at 60 yards the other day with a single shot to the breast :lol: . Tried 5's but i think the shot are too big and dont penetrate as easy as a smaller shot throught the feathers but tend to stun the bird more than kill but at close range they tend to rip the bird up a bit :lol: . I think 6.5's are the best.

Spenner