Improve your shooting!

tuck1

Hello all.

Having been without a pair of binocs for quite a while, and having got out of the habit of carrying them, I recently aqquired a pair again. My daily walks with the dog have been transformed. It is absolutely incredible how much more there is to see!

For example, I was walking recently in a place that I have been going regularly for over 20 years. I disturbed a buzzard in a patch of woodland. Nothing unusual about that. Quick scan round with the binos, there's the nest. Brilliantly hidden, I could see right into it, the mossy layer in the bottom, the tip of an egg. Fantastic. I had never, ever, spotted this before, the nest looks like it has been used over many years. I would never have seen it with the naked eye.

For scoping out where the pigeons are, watching a stoat hunting along a distant drystone wall, finding a "sitty" tree, the list is endless. It's like my eyes are open again.

I'm not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs. But I thoroughly recommend, if you are not a bino user, to lay your hands on the best pair you can, and give it a go. With spring here, and everything on the move, you may be surpised at what you see. It has (re)opened up a whole new world for me. Try it!

I use my binos predominantly for deer stalking, I find rather than looking at the first layer of trees in a wood the binos draw your eye right in tothe wood and can help you see animals that would other wise have gone unsean or the first you would have seen them was whn you got to close to them and bumped them.

Dave

Rossenarra

Binos are a personal choice, I have Swarovski EL 10x42's, not cheap but extremely good and comfortable, not to bulky either. There are so many chioces out there, best off going into a shop and trying what you want untill you find what you want.

What suits one will not suit another.

I'm with Devilishdave, I use mine when Stalking and Lamping (not at the same time).

You pay for what you get though.

Can anyone tell me how good or otherwise Luger binos are? I have my eye on a pair of 8 x 40 which are small and light enough to carry around. They are nicely balanced and have a good field of vision, but does anybody have any experience of how robust they are?

Thanks, Stefan.

Always carry binos. I have wanted a quality pair for years but never had the spare cash. Just before Christmas a mate handed me a pair to try and I was really impressed, then I was really impressed. £9.99 from Lidl, Bresser 10x 50 with a 5 year warranty. I bought 2 pairs. Back on offer I believe for a couple of quid more. Believe me when I say I had been trying out Nikon, Pentax and Bushnells less than a week previously and the extra £160 to buy them would have been money down the drain!

I always use mine if theres daylight to be had, even got rid of my waist bag because they weren`t easily accessible when I wanted them & spent £70 on a bag to put them & everything else in. Now they`re protected & accessible whenever i want them. It`s a lot safer than glassing everything through a scope as well as giving a wider field of view.

never go out without them, look over the fields and you can see nothing by way of pigeon action, get the bins out and you can see a field covered in them. - no its not my eye sight, when you're standing in a field its pretty tricky to spot them when they're amongst the crops and you havent seen them drop in.

-also there was a big section on binoculars in the 'In Gear' supplement in the Sunday Times last week - makes for an interesting read.

all the best,

BM ;)

I always take my steiner binos out with me when walking the dog

the things you see in the distance is incredible

And most of the wildlife your looking at dosnt even know your there

I have a green pair of steiner military marine in 8x30

Would love a pair of lieca.s or is it leica

To expensive thought

I was out with 2 keepers and a terrier man yesterday. All 3 have Swaro EL's, they are on the moor a lot and they need good optics. I showed them the bins I've bought, and we did a side by side comparison. 2 of the 3 said mine were as good, one lad said he could notice a very slight difference, in favour of the Swaro's, but not enough to warrant a few hundred quid. I was pretty chuffed really.

The older I get the more I value good optics, maybe my eyes are getting worse. I think I'll be upgrading the scope on the .22 shortly.