Mystery footprints

Gordon R

Sorry NTTF it doesn't state what type of otter it is but i was just reading it on http://western-isles-wildlife.co.uk/mammals.htm

without getting into an argument about it, there are very few creatures in this country that would leave a print like that and of that size

i dont know what it is but in my opinion it is not an otter native to britain

anyone got any other ideas??

Sorry NTTF it doesn't state what type of otter it is but i was just reading it on http://western-isles-wildlife.co.uk/mammals.htm

without getting into an argument about it, there are very few creatures in this country that would leave a print like that and of that size

i dont know what it is but in my opinion it is not an otter native to britain

anyone got any other ideas??

If it was wet mud when the print was made that will make it bigger

KrazyKayaker is 100% correct when looking at an otter print in the singlar it will show 5 toes. However when looked at in a track or beat it usually only shows 4 toes because the rear foot will track into and to the side of the front, partially covering the print.

Personnally I think it is an Otter track because of the well splayed toes, and the "Diamonds" on the end of each toe. How ever without seeing the actual track or beat it is very hard to make a 100% statement that it is not a K9 showing only 4 toes, or an Otter showing 5. The easiest way to tell would be to gently pour a bit of water into the track to see if it shows a web.

Perhaps someone with ground experiance in the area will be able to clear this one up for us.

NTTF