metal detecting

tosspot

A month or two back i bought a half sensible metal detector in an effort to encourage my 13 yr old lad away from the PS3 and outside in the fresh air. The area around us is the South Downs and is full of old military bits and bobs (mainly Canadian) from the war, mainly spent 303 an 9mm cases. Well the plan failed and after a couple of outings he became bored and dosen't want to go anymore. Meanwhile i have become hooked and now spare time is split between shooting and detecting. Have found buckets of spent shells and 12 bore caps, now very boring but coins are now the holy grail, matters not of the age although obviously the older ones set the pulse racing a bit and to date the oldest being a Georgian penny from 1727.

Am i the only saddo on here or are there any other bores who enjoy rummaging around the woods for treasure.

TP

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a closet mental defector, in spirit anyway.

Years ago I had a cheap metal detector, but I never found much (modern coins, lead bullets and 303 shell cases, lead fishing weights and a gold claddagh (sp) ring). I enjoyed it though and am still interested in what people find with them.

Don't do it now though and don't know where my cheap metal detector went :good:

I used to dig Victorian rubbish dumps for old bottles and pot lids :mad: Stuff like this :

phpfilirucg6.jpg

Made a few quid at that over the years - and I've just spotted a new site in Stretford that I might have to go and have a look at :good:

Edited by Chard

A month or two back i bought a half sensible metal detector in an effort to encourage my 13 yr old lad away from the PS3 and outside in the fresh air. The area around us is the South Downs and is full of old military bits and bobs (mainly Canadian) from the war, mainly spent 303 an 9mm cases. Well the plan failed and after a couple of outings he became bored and dosen't want to go anymore. Meanwhile i have become hooked and now spare time is split between shooting and detecting. Have found buckets of spent shells and 12 bore caps, now very boring but coins are now the holy grail, matters not of the age although obviously the older ones set the pulse racing a bit and to date the oldest being a Georgian penny from 1727.

Am i the only saddo on here or are there any other bores who enjoy rummaging around the woods for treasure.

TP

I heard that the first day you went out with it you wore your steel toe-cap boots.....still, it kept you busy digging all those holes.... :mad:

TP

I heard that the first day you went out with it you wore your steel toe-cap boots.....still, it kept you busy digging all those holes.... :mad:

:good: :good: :hmm: :hmm: :lol: :lol: :good: :good: :lol: :lol: ;):lol: :lol:

TP

I heard that the first day you went out with it you wore your steel toe-cap boots.....still, it kept you busy digging all those holes.... :good:

:good::hmm::hmm::lol::lol::good::good::lol::lol:

forum gold that :mad:

are there any other bores who enjoy rummaging around the woods for treasure.

....George Michael on Hampstead Heath ? :good:

:hmm::hmm::lol::lol::good:

I was going to say that I quite like the idea of detectoring but I'm going to keep it to myself now... :mad::good:

ZB

Oh my lord, I have just seen this thread.

I am lost for words.

No hang on, a couple are making their way out....

'Sad' and '*******'.

Lads, sometimes sharing is not good.

If I was out metal detecting at the weekend and someone said to me "hey what did you do at the weekend?" I would rather say that I was busy signing the sex offenders register than confess to metal detecting.

I was going to say that I quite like the idea of detectoring but I'm going to keep it to myself now... :look: :look:

I am sure Fisher Price do a "My First Metal Detector" with matching anorak...

Edited by LV

when you break a clump of clay away and see the coin imprint that is in your other hand it is quite a rush. I used to love taking the silver sabre out.

No shame.

Mung

you no nowt man. Signing the sex offenders register is nowhere near as much fun. standing in a queue for half an hour before you have to declare you residence and present occupation.

I may have said to much.

jim "the flashing mac"fish

I would rather say that I was busy signing the sex offenders register than confess to metal detecting.

ROFLMFAO !!!

What next ?

Evil Elvis admitting to having a knitting machine ?

Bagsy doing crochet ?

Broken Man flower arranging ?

Mungler buying a gay motorbike ?....DOH !

:look:

when you break a clump of clay away and see the coin imprint that is in your other hand it is quite a rush. I used to love taking the silver sabre out.

No shame.

Mung

you no nowt man. Signing the sex offenders register is nowhere near as much fun. standing in a queue for half an hour before you have to declare you residence and present occupation.

I may have said to much.

jim "the flashing mac"fish

oh Jim, what have you said :look: :look: :good::lol:

Shooting,especially live quarry. Fishing of all kinds. Train spotting. Metal detectoration. Making stuff out of matches. acquiring ladies underpants off washing lines ensures the public consigns us to the category ; "wierdos". Even if they pretend to condone it.

My hobbies aside,I think us minorities should stick together for safety.Strangest pastime is staying in watching Soaps.

God I use todo metal detecting when i was a kid.

Use to spend hours on Berrow Beach searching for Gold and normally ended up with bottle tops.

Had a real basic detector the black ones with a dounut on the end...but excellent fun, well i thought it was.

Always fancied going to some land where their had been some ancient battle and see if i could find something...but never did

i know you might not belive it, but there is a lady who comes through my station most days, and on a nice day like today, she usualy has a metal detector in her rucksack. nowt unusual about this you might ask,,,,,,, ah, but this lady is DEAF AND BLIND :look: . she has her dog with her, and goes to the local beaches. through the summer, she is out most days. she must find all kinds around here.

i know you might not belive it, but there is a lady who comes through my station most days, and on a nice day like today, she usualy has a metal detector in her rucksack.

If she is "coming" through your station it isnt a metal detector it is a rampant rabbit....

acquiring ladies underpants off washing lines ensures the public consigns us to the category ; "wierdos". Even if they pretend to condone it.

OK Vole, fess up...

Give us an inventory of your pantie collection.. :look: :look:

i know you might not belive it, but there is a lady who comes through my station most days, and on a nice day like today, she usualy has a metal detector in her rucksack.

If she is "coming" through your station it isnt a metal detector it is a rampant rabbit....

:look: NOW IF THE TWO WERE WIRED TOGETHER :good: SORTED :look: