2 pheasants with one shot

crowstopper

I was working on a shoot on Saturday picking up and over the top of one of the guns I was watching from a way behind the line, a cloud of around 25 partridges came over head, he shot at them and downed one then at the same time one almost above fell from the sky. The more incredible thing was these were very high birds and he told me he and never shot partridges before today and he had only hit one on the first drive. What a jammy sod, has anyone else ever seen this happen?

crow :lol:

This reminds me of a day, a few years ago, when I was beating.

I'm sure you've all seen this before, where someone in the beating line, raises his stick as if it were a gun, wishing he could take one of those spectacular high birds the guns are missing !!!!

This one beater did exactly that, he "fired" and the bird hit a tree and fell down stone dead. Unbelievable to watch. Nevertheless we never heard the end of that story.

I used to beat as a lad at a well known shoot in the Cotswolds on the Bibury Court Estate...

I witnessed this Gentleman a local land owner who had one arm and used to shoot from the hip... I saw him once hit a L & R with two high birds... Quite fantastic shooting and inspiring.

I once shot 3 Pigeons with two shots a left and then two birds crossing over with the right... all incidently killed stone dead... Nobody ever believes me but I have a witness !!! :lol:

I also saw once a guy shoot a high bird which fell and knocked a low bird out of the sky. The bird was winded I would imagine but recovered and ran off before the dog could get to it.

I also unfortunately witnessed in the 70,s a local Gentleman take his own life at a shoot with his 12 g through the bonce. A very alarming and distressing sight for a 16 year old beater.

FM.

From your wording FM, was it intentional? Sorry you had to suffer this memory for your life :lol:

Yes, Quite intentional the poor chap had apparently been severely depressed and had financial problems. It happened at the end of the final drive of the day.

It was not as upsetting though as an occurance a few years later when I was playing Cricket for the Village team... Our veteran bowler Gilbert Morse was his name a fine slow bowler well respected and revered in these parts collapsed and died of a massive heart attack just as the ball had left his hand.

We were playing a team from Oxford called Old Oxford Citizens which had a couple of Doctors playing but they could not revive him. The poor guy was dead before he hit the ground.. What made it worse was the fact that his Wife and Daughter were watching and his son in law was playing.

He was 60 but generally fit. I always thought that if I were to go suddenly then that would be the way... doing something you have a passion for... Poor Gilbert lived for his Cricket and ultimately died for it too... Fondly remembered. :lol:

FM.

The farm that me and a couple of friends run a small game shoot on used to have a decent stock of wild grey partridges. But for the last few years there has been just one or two coveys whereas back in the early nineties there were often 10 or more coveys of greys plus a couple of coveys of redlegs on the 800 acres or so.

Anyway due to the low numbers we stopped shooting them hoping that it would help numbers build back up, odd accidents happened but on a whole they were unshot at. A couple of years back the stock on the farm was one covey of 11 greys. For once it was not mentioned at the preshoot brief that grey's were off the list.

First drive of the day, up they get and straight to a guest gun who drops three with one shot then a fourth with the second barrel. The gun next to him thought if he's having a go so am I and killed a right and left as the cut across him. Nice shooting but I was gutted.

To be honest as greys often fly tightly packed multiple kills are quite frequent. In the days when teh days shooting used to consist of driven greys it was frowned upon if more than one bird was killed to one shot. As it indicated the gun might have been shooting into the pack and not picking his birds.

I myself have had multilple kills at grey and redlegged partridge, mallard, teal, wigeon, pintail, greylags, goldies and pigeon. I have seen alot of pheasants shot but never more than one to a shot. Except on the big days even a right and left is not all that common on pheasies.