FLAT SREEN LCD

col s10

wait for reviews as we have just had a load of new ranges to be launched. but The panasonic 32", one of the LX series over the LZ would be best. They do two models of each as well as far as i know, the 720p and 1080p versions. At 32" theres not a massive point in going 1080p, unless using it for pc moniter.

Samsung are worth a look, albeit sound has never been up to much on them and its buisness as usual on the 4 and 5 series.

Sony should be good, but havent seen one of their latest efforts. Not even sure they are launching a new line.

Avoid Philips or cheap brands.

Col, go to TJ Hughes in the market, and get a 32inch lcd from them. i got a bush one about 18 month ag for £250, and i aint looked back. :hmm:

in fact, come round and have a look :hmm::hmm:???

you know, we really should meet for a pint as we are only round the corner :hmm:

are you in the trade.you seem to to know the score :hmm:

My job when not at uni (for my sins) is selling them at currys. I try to make the effort to know my stuff on tv's as they interest me enough to make the job a bit more interesting.

Panasonic, Samsung, Sony tend to be the best in the 32" range. Expect most people to rave about samsungs, they are very popular and few people will say anything bad about something they own. They are not however the best. Just look the nicest.

Sony reliability is not what it used to be, but they tend to be badly put together, not unreliable.

Avoid LG and Philips (forgot LG) I had 2, now got a cheap Panasonic.

Dont care if LG produce most of the panels, they use rubbish panels in their own units, the backlighting is never even.

:hmm: Panasonic viera...makros, 40" £550...cant go wrong, these were voted the best telly in the world at one point, they were £2800 when i bought my sony....considering one for the bedroom, line one up against all the other tellies out there and nothing can hold a candle to them....even sony! :hmm:

Guest stiv24

What manufacturer and model would you suggest for a 42'' LCD?

I already have a 32'' samsung but the sound is not that great especially on live broadcasts like football.

42" i would still say go for Panasonic, the new px80 is nice, albeit 720 not 1080. If you want a 1080p 42" panasonic it will cost you. I havent seen one in the flesh so couldnt comment on this model though.

Sony W or X 3000 40" or samsung 5 or 6 series are nice. Albeit being LCD the backlighting can appear greyish in low light conditions (dark room)

BTW the panasonic i recomended is a plasma. Which in my opinion still gives the better picture. Albeit LCD is Catching up (just in time to be killed off in a few years time)

Edited by dunganick

Whats LCD being replaced by LED?

I recently bought a 46" Samsung LCD, not sure on the model number - its 1080p and 100htz 30,000 - 1 contrast I'm very pleased with it. I use a Sony cinema system so the TV sound not an issue.

sounds like a 6 series, has it got a red tint to the surround?

Yes LCD will be replaced by OLED, stick it into you tube, impressive stuff

Mine is black, I think its the very latest ones that have the red tint?

Just dug the instructions out, its a LE46F8 if that means anything to you? :good:

Guest stiv24

Nick, you think I'd be better off looking for a plasma then?--------- just watched the you tube clips on OLED. I might just wait for that to hit the shops

Edited by stiv24

Nick, you think I'd be better off looking for a plasma then?--------- just watched the you tube clips on OLED. I might just wait for that to hit the shops

Look to be waiting a good few years before they are sensible prices.

Plasma is great if you can trust the users of the tv.

The main issue with plasma is burning. (image retention on some cheaper makes as well)

If you pause the tv for too long then you will eventually end up burning the screen. However you are talking serious amounts of time. 12hrs plus. However i can fully believe a kid/teenager could manage this.

Also if you intend to use it as a PC display you should go lcd, as plasma will end up with the taskbar burnt in.

If the above is not true of you, then plasma gives much nicer accurate colours, the whites are not over bright like alot of lcd's and the blacks are lovely and inky. They also tend to show less pixel separation than lcd if you choose to go for a 720p tv as opposed to 1080p.

If you dont go for plasma, go for a samsung, panasonic or sony LCD, they are the only LCD's i have seen that come close to a plasma panasonics.

Just remembered, you were after a 32" right?

Plasma starts at 37" so that may put a stop to that idea.

We have a Sony Bravia 32" and we're very pleased with it. The sudo surround sound is good in fact better than my previous 5.1 surround sound Toshiba telly. Mind you the Tosh was at least 10 years old before it went bang :good: Colours are crisp and the blacks are rich and dark (If that makes any sense), its worth a look.