FAC shotgun

njc110381

I'm thinking that I fancy a section 1 shotgun now. Mainly for crows and bunnies if I can get it, but I'm a member of a UKPSA registered club if I need to be. I like practical shotgun and will be shooting it now and again, and I've already done it a couple of times with the club pump (CBC, rough but ready!).

As I've said my real reason for wanting it is one of my permissions. We get huge numbers of crows coming in at one time, but once the shots are fired they're off. Often they don't come back for ages! Taking a mate so there are four shots available seems to be the way to go at the moment, but I'd like more capacity.

What are the chances of getting one for field use? I'd like to have slugs for boar too but if they don't allow it then I'm not going to cry over it. I assume I could buy them abroad and shoot them off ticket if the country laws allow their use?

I really like the remmy 870, but have just seen a benelli nova. Either one with an extension tube would be great, but the 3.5" nova would be handy for wildfowling if there's a way to make it legal (mag plug maybe?)

Does anyone here shoot a nova? What's it like?

I have recently bought the Nova in FAC version (6 shot) I thinks it's brilliant. Obviously not as fast as a semi-auto but good none the less. It will cycle any size cartridge. I have not fired the 3.5 inch through it yet, but 3 inch magnums (50G) are fun!

The gun is very robust and 'looks good'

Highly recommended.

To get this FAC version, I was told to get written permission off a farmer and, when applying, to add 'Crop Protection' for the reason to have one. I had no problems with this, although my certificate does state that I can only use this shotgun for shooting birds. Hope this helps.

Steve

Edited by steve_b_wales

i have the supernova and added extension mag.

it really is smooth compared to pumps i have used in the past, with the comfertec stock the recoil is very

manageable all day long. i would defenitely recomend it.

I have mine on open ticket plus a multishot auto for vermin but were originally on ticket for practical so i cant

see any problem with what you are after.

Thanks for the info. I'll get on to my farmer!

Does anyone else here pest shoot with a section 1 shotgun or have any views on the Nova?

yes matey, with an 11+1 remmy 1100. With the crop protection part, BASC recommended "avian control" on your FAC - still, it gets rid of bunnies no problems off the back of a quad lamping. On my FAC its just listed as a section 1 shotgun.

HTH

Keith

If you can show a need you should have no problems getting one.

When you apply just put down 12 bore shotgun, do not put down any reference to the number of carts it will hold or they may limit you to a specific number.

As with your rifles it will be conditioned for specific quarry and obviously that is all you can shoot. As has been stated avian pests is the normal reason for grant but you may be lucky and get the all encompassing vermin !!

It will not be conditioned for game or wildfowl, it is in fact illegal to shoot them with a multi shot shotgun nor would it be possible to insert a plug as they do in the USA because in the UK it is a section 1 and it cant be used.

When applying also ask for clay shooting as this should be granted as a matter of course as per HO guidelines, so you may as well have it.

Get the M2 ..............you know it makes sense.

Good luck

Charlie

The M2, is that the auto/pump in one gun? I think I've noticed it when looking at the Nova, but its over £1k. Not exactly a knock about gun!

I also like the saiga M3 idea, with the box mag. If it didn't look so rowdy I'd get that, but I'm not really a fan of AR15 type guns for the field. They make us look more scary to ramblers IMO, and up until now a nicely engraved pretty gun has got them on side in the end. I don't know if the Nova would be as popular, but it doesn't look too bad :yp:

I had an 8+1 Remington 11-87 up until recently, and have a standard 870 Wingmaster.

I now have a Benelli M2 8+1 semi-auto on order, as it's inherently a much lighter gun than the Remingtons. I have the gun for 'vermin control' on my ticket. The high capacity is a great help during the rabbit round-up straight after harvest.

Personally I wouldn't buy a Section-1 pump, I would buy a semi-auto instead. If you have a proven vermin problem, the quick cycling is useful.

Edited by Baldrick

I understand a pump may not be so quick, but I do prefer them. I've had an auto and the biggest downside to them that I found was that they reload themselves after each shot (no p*** taking, I know they're supposed to). With a pump you have to manually cycle the next round to the chamber, so effectively you can carry it with a spent shell in the chamber or with the slide back all the time and cycle it when you need to shoot. It is possible with some autos too, but I want a pump :yp:

If you can show a need you should have no problems getting one.

When you apply just put down 12 bore shotgun, do not put down any reference to the number of carts it will hold or they may limit you to a specific number.

As with your rifles it will be conditioned for specific quarry and obviously that is all you can shoot. As has been stated avian pests is the normal reason for grant but you may be lucky and get the all encompassing vermin !!

It will not be conditioned for game or wildfowl, it is in fact illegal to shoot them with a multi shot shotgun nor would it be possible to insert a plug as they do in the USA because in the UK it is a section 1 and it cant be used.

When applying also ask for clay shooting as this should be granted as a matter of course as per HO guidelines, so you may as well have it.

Get the M2 ..............you know it makes sense.

Good luck

Charlie

Bang on :yp: :lol:

I know, it's so hard to pick one over the other! The 870 is an icon, with years of reliable service behind it and traditional looks. The trouble is it doesn't come in 3.5"magnum and 24" barrel configuration. The Benelli covers both those specs in the same gun, where as the 870 has to be one or the other. The Benelli has also taken some serious testing in recent years with various forces, and is real competition to the Remmy now. The Benelli takes the same chokes as my Beretta, so in years to come they'll still be easy to come by.

I'm giving this a lot of thought, and I still don't know which way to go! The Nova is cheaper than the Express magnum, which is pushing things that way a bit. I also relly want a short barrel. My 28" Xtrema was far too long for me, so 24" would really help

njc

.............................."The trouble is it doesn't come in 3.5"magnum"

Why the heck do you need these size shells. I fully understand the short barrels but there is no need to restrict yourself on choice by demanding 3 1/2". If your quarry is that far away you wont need 5 shots , you will be lucky to get 1 shot off.

I like to carry the biggest load possible for Foxes! I guess a 3" would do the job though, as I have some 50g BB shells for my Silver Pigeon. I was also thinking of steel shot for wetlands, but now you've questioned me on it I've realised I can't use it for ducks/geese anyway! Thanks for bringing it up :wub:

I like to carry the biggest load possible for Foxes! I guess a 3" would do the job though, as I have some 50g BB shells for my Silver Pigeon. I was also thinking of steel shot for wetlands, but now you've questioned me on it I've realised I can't use it for ducks/geese anyway! Thanks for bringing it up :wub:

I thought that was at the back of your mind !!

Well I think I'm sorted for now. I've found a four shot extension tube for the Benelli, which puts the capacity to 8+1. I can get a 24" multi choke in black synthetic, and the tubes are the same as the Beretta Mobilchoke meaning I can use my Silver Pigeon set in it.

I can't see a 24" barrel 870 that has a multi choke, and UK suppliers seem to be hard to find. The Mossberg is ok, but I don't like it and they don't seem to offer anything but cammo pattern 24" multichoke guns.

Am I missing any other good guns? I don't need a 3.5" chamber, but the Benelli has one as standard unless I buy a more expensive model.

I've e-mailed my FEO, but not got a reply yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked more closely at both guns now and I'm not sure I like the Benelli. It's got so much plastic and I think it looks a little nasty to be honest. I've totally changed my mind on this, and I'm going for a 26" Remmy 870 Express with a wood stock. Totally traditional and much more my thing, they also have a solid reputation for reliability. I'll get a poly choke for it, so the tubes issue shouldn't be a problem. As said before I don't need a 3.5" chamber.

I wanted an 870 when I was a kid, purely due to the status it's gained itself over the years. I've only ever heard of one falling apart, which can't be bad considering the number sold. I'm going to have to buy one just to say I finally managed to own one :yp: