other forums

markbivvy

TLE,

I was having a joke and you know it too.

The education system works, but it is rough around the edges. As you say, parents are our first teachers, and they definitely are the cause of many problems. Types and quality of teachers vary more than the colours. For instance, I have two teachers for Business Studies, one is very inspiring and a pleasure to be taught by. The other however, is dry, caustic, and his teaching methods outdated. He favours dictation and copying of notes. One gives me drive, the other makes me want to hurt myself. However it is the same the world over.

The government currently is also too centred around University education - with not enough people becoming plumbers.

TLE, the education system must work as we have no shortage in doctors, engineers, scientists and solicitors. Heck - it managed to get me decent GCSEs!

We're into a massive subject here but I'll chip in with my 2p.

TLE - there is a general feeling in UK society (denied by the government and schools) that education standards are slipping. Universities are now using their own system of vetting who they let in as students as they can no longer rely on school qualifications. More and more school leavers, year after year, leave school with better qualifications than the previous year. Yet the academic quality, literacy and general knowledge of these school leavers seems to be getting less and less. I'm not sure one way or the other - I'm just letting you know what's going on.

As for teachers - I wouldn't want to be one (in fact I probably couldn't). I'm not sure I agree that they are underpaid / overworked though - do teachers think they are the only professionals who have to take work home with them? They only work until about 3pm each day anyway, and they get about 70 days holiday. SEVENTY days!!! How many do you get? A teachers 20-odd grand (30-odd or more for principals) doesn't seem so bad to me. On the other hand, perhaps they should get more so that they are the best people to be in charge of childrens education?

I don't think that teachers should have to put up with half of the stuff they do though - discipline is definitely an issue. The teachers need the support of parents, principals and local authorities to discipline schoolies - all of which is often lacking.

Red - as for the education system working. Well, it works to a degree. I don't agree with your statement though - we are desperately short of doctors and scientists (and teachers), not sure about engineers and solicitors though. The education is working - just not as well as it used to.

As I said - my 2p.

yeah education is slipping, they are now going to start paying people to stay on for year12/13 (6th form) £20/week i think..

i know in my school that when people leave at GCSE's(O Levels) it is because they are either going to Engineering college, Agri College or have gone to work on the farm.. and i live in a more city-style school growing, as massive decrease in children brought up on farms that have turned their back on farming and gone to the cities that there are less people leaving due to farming in my school and they are staying on for University to go to the cities..

i only know 2or3 possible mates in school that might inherit the farm out of about 12/13..

Aled

I quite agree with you there Martin re our parents. I have more respect for them and our other elders than I did say 10 years ago. I dare say that if I had it all to do again I would have listened more. I think the single biggest obstacle for me was realising I didn't know everything. Now that I have come to learn this I feel I have learnt much more from more people than I ever thought I would. This is my advice to others aswell.

Mr Squint wants to get into teaching or social work herself.

Squint

Squint .

I think you'll find that A certain MR . Churchill . Echoed the same sentiments as you when he said :- " At eighteen i thought my parents knew nothing , by the time i was twenty one , i was amazed at how much the had learnt in the last 3 years . "

A fine quote i'm sure you will agree , so now it's time for one from the YP stable of thinking . " You can leed a horse to it's dinner , but you can't make it eat cucumber sarnies with the crusts cut off "

all the best yis yp :yp:

Bribery is a wonderful thing Red!!

Squint

Not many things offend me. Jibe all you want about my looks, spelling and anything else. However that comment offends me.

I work my **** off 6 days a week, I put my pen down at nine o'clock each night and pick it up at eight next morning . I gave up my easter holidays to work to wards my exams. The fact that my parents pay to send me to school, which I am grateful for every day, is irrelevant. They decide to sacrifice things they could have enjoyed to give me the best chance, and i will do the same for my children.

I am disgusted that you think that I didn't work, because I did.

You can't pay the examiners.

:<

great responces guys ,your's to YP :lol: ,must admit WINSTON .C.was one of the greats,shame there aint more in power now .

a little side bar ,his daughter lady Mary Soames was in town a short while ago for edmontons 100th birthday cel's she opened up the new winston churchill square.

back to it now ,

RED, i understand your frustration ,but if i may say "stick at it" the world aint getting easier you need all the quals you can get ,and id hate for you to regret it later ,before you say "heard it all before" take it from me (and i'll wager many more) ITS A FACT JACK.

SQUINTSHOT , i could not agree more :yp: and well said my friend

"I quite agree with you there Martin re our parents. I have more respect for them and our other elders than I did say 10 years ago. I dare say that if I had it all to do again I would have listened more. I think the single biggest obstacle for me was realising I didn't know everything. Now that I have come to learn this I feel I have learnt much more from more people than I ever thought I would. This is my advice to others as well."

piebob,

i'll contests your thoughts on work till 3pm (there as well as here) my mrs's goes in at around 6-30 am and comes home at around 5-30 /6-30 pm then works till around 10-ish getting homework marked and so-on then making lesson plans for the next day ,this and supper and housework ect ect ,and before the shells start falling ,i'll be the first to admit, all teachers arent like it ,but before you condem,take a look around at your own circle of life and tell me everyone you know is perfect ,im certainly not :*)

as you wrote

"I don't think that teachers should have to put up with half of the stuff they do though - discipline is definitely an issue. The teachers need the support of parents, principals and local authorities to discipline schoolies - all of which is often lacking."

they shouldnt , when i were a lad (and not in a cardboard box as some here would have you beleive :lol: ) we were dealt with by a different mould of teachers or peers ,the cane and dap :*) i felt many times ,by my own failing,i did know right from wrong ,but still had to test the metal of authourity ,i lost on many occasion's

:*) but i had no issue's as to the handing out of punishment ,"hey" you do the crime as they say ,,,,,,,,,,

going back to you piebob ,your bang on the money about the standards of education slipping ,my point being that to make up the quota/numbers req

the levels of pass rate's will fall ,therefore making more students qualify with less skills and knowledge than prior years or terms,it would seem each year it worsens :lol:

"education standards are slipping. Universities are now using their own system of vetting who they let in as students as they can no longer rely on school qualifications"

unfourtunatly the principal school authourities are being pushed to justify more funding for more pass's instead of a program that will

MAINTAN A BETTER STANDARD OF EDUCATION for all the pupils alike.

its to often i tell the guys i train here in machining, that everytime you train a person to the best of their ability it will only be around 90 % of yours ,,, and so down the ladder of life we step ,i try to bring all the guys here up to the same standard ,but its hard to do when the cast has been set,but try and try i will .

anyway guys ,thanks for the great inputs and thoughts, ive enjoyed the topic immensly ,not forgetting you ALED, never a dull moment :P:lol:

thanks again,

martin

a veteran of 40 + years in the multinational U.O.L.

(university of life aled) :yp:

not forgetting you ALED, never a dull moment :yp: :lol:

thanks again,

martin

a veteran of 40 + years in the multinational U.O.L.

(university of life aled) :yp:

i was looking down to see if my name was in those really long paragraphs and was well gutted until i saw it at the bottom :lol:

whats University of Life?

Aled

Aled, the University of Life is the biggest educational institute in the world. It is here that you will learn all the important things that you will need in life infact everything that you need to know about life can be learned here. The good thing about this university is that is free to enrol there is no boring paper work and no exams. Though you are tested extensively every single day.

Squint

ALED my dear little friend, why dont you move over to canada with me,every time i hear you moan about how bad its gotten there i get tear in my eye B) ,i'll get you set up in the buffalo ranch my boss owns ,hes an aussie im a brit were both in canada making a good living ,youl fit right in :*) , i can just see you in a nice set of cowboy boots and a 2 pint hat :):lol: mucking out big *** buffalo droping's , we've even got electricity and hot running water here , not to hot though the igloo will melt and the fire goes out ,then your in trouble :*) ,it'll be like living in the rhonda aled .

thumbs:

martin

classic TLE...

i have 3 life ambittions..

go to Australia for a few months and go to a farm that has permission to shoot 800kangaroo a month..

go to America and combine up the golden straight(from south of USA to top of USA)

go to canada to go fishing, shooting, see TLE(joke)....

my auntie just got back from Canada.. she said it was class.. she went to see her cousin out there and said there was nothing like it..

Aled

yeah but if the government is heading the way it is most of us country people may as well just go and cowar in the cellar. its as if were imagrants.

Aled

Aled,

I personally feel that you could never be confused with an immigrant. To become a immigrant nowadays you have to undergo fairly rigorous tests ( English lang and lit ) placenames events etc. I feel that you would fail the criteria so miserably that the only conclusion from any examiner would have to be, that you are a schooled and bona fide resident of the United Kingdom. Immigrants would just not have the cheek :):lol:

Jim

P.S only joking Aled, Thats what you get for calling me a muppet, and for not turning up behind the bikesheds for a sound thrashing

Jim

P.S only joking Aled, Thats what you get for calling me a muppet, and for not turning up behind the bikesheds for a sound thrashing

:lol: outstanding Jimd outstanding B)

my auntie just got back from Canada.. she said it was class.. she went to see her cousin out there and said there was nothing like it..

i think i met her here aled ,thats the lady who spoke with the welsh accent i beleive ,megan if im not mistaken ,nice lady :)

there was another welshman here too, "jones the jones" do you know him ?? :huh:

martin