Other Bounty

Its time to see who is getting what as far as other bounty goes.

For me it has been on the fishing front perch, small mouth bass, and pickerl. I have also started harvesting strawberries, mulberries, and raspberries from the hedgerows. My Canada Plum trees that I found last year are looking heavy and ripening well, so I am hoping for some good picking there aswell.

So who is catching what on the rods, and in the pots, and who is collecting what from the fields and hedges?

NTTF

Well, getting loads of cherries off the tree at the front of the house, so jam will be on the cards soon. Fresh plums are a ways off yet, but are on their way. The same can be said for all the other veg in the garden.

Other than that, it's been a little bleak. Hopefully the downpour right now will lay down some crops and I can get some pigeoning in over the weekend.

Our gardens are a fair bit behind you lot, and mine even more as I was about 2 weeks late this year getting it in but it is coming. My current bushes are producing very well at the moment though and berries are going in the freezer for jam. Thanks for the reminder on the cherries as they should be ready for picking, I think I will have to check on them today.

NTTF

Have got a few 1-2 lb rainbow trout on local fishery lochs,

9 wild brown trout in Assynt Area of West Scotland a week back, when we had weekend at Ullapool

on the shooting front - rabbits with .22 rimfire and pigeons with 12 bore

in garden

wild rocket and rhubarb outside in garden

in polytunnel: sugarsnap peas, broadbeans, courgettes, salad rocket, mixed salad, mixed spicy salad

veg not ready yet includes spuds and brocolli outside, and garlic, leeks, fennel in the tunnel

ended up making pea soup as we couldnt eat the peas fast enough

Late night excursions for crays :yes: and early morning airgun for very young scutails B)

LB

Just started on the cabbage from the garden veg plot, more things to follow quite soon.

Nothing really to be picked from the fields by me just yet but I'm ever hopefull.

Had a go for Trout but no sign.

Oh for Crayfish, the missus has been driveing me nuts to get some but locally I've drawn a blank.

Had quite a few Rainbows from a local lake.

Good day on the test weekend before last & 11 Browns & 1 Grayling between 1/2lb - 3.5lb.

Pigeons coming on well now, hitting the laid barley & wheat. Had over 200 between two of us over friday/saturday last weekend. Out friday/saturday & sunday this weekend - happy days!

Saw a HUUUUGE courgette in the veg bed last night! Apparently I have to leave it until it gets a bit more green, which means it might end up being a marrow.

The french beans are taking off after yesterday's rain... We have three that are almost edible now.

on the shooting bounty mainly rabbits made loads of bunny burgers. the odd couple of grey squirrel but i dont eat these (cant stand the smell) when being cooked on the vegie plot just took second crop of peas off about 4lb of pods yielded about 2lb of peas for the freezer.spuds 2nd earlies i think, as it only me and mrs tremor i staggered planting them.planted 10 then 3weeks later planted another 10 and so on untill the 2 rows had been filled up now the first 10 are ready going to dig a root up on thursday.only got 1 row of late spuds in this year lost to many last year to slugs or wireworm.cooked my first beetroot of the season today just a bit bigger than a golfball ps if anyone wants a realy good recipe for beetroot cake send me a pm you wont believe how good it is, so moist and tasty you would never believe it was made from beetroot. got a few corgettes almost ready,broad beans and garlic have not done very well this year. runner beans carrots,onions shouldnt be long in cropping the tomatoes,kale and celeriac got off eventualy after a **** start toms are just floweringhappy foraging folk paul

my favourite of natures bounty (not ready for a looooong while yet), are hazelnuts...... mmmm choclate coated..... just got to beat the squirrels....

i walk the dog along the canal and the cherry trees are dropping left right and centre.. the dog has even learnt how to eat them and spit out the pips !! they dont seem fat like the ones you get in the shops and they taste a little bitter to be honest.... are they all the same? all ok for eating ??

The past week was spent gathering strawberrys, red currents, white currents, and mulberries. The black currents should be ready any day now and I am sure I can pick a few mor mulberries yet. The black berries and red raspberries are hit and miss this year with some patches showing fruit just coming ready and others showing nothing at all.

Checked out the Canadian Wild Plums that I found last year and they are coming on very well as we cleaned them off of the wild grape this spring and opened them up. The Wild Grape is forming nicely with lots of fruit forming so should be a good jam season for them this fall.

Myzeneye, there are many types of cherries out there but usually fall into 3 catagories sweat, sour, or bitter. Sweats are to pick and eat, sours are to make jam and pies, and bitter are for the birds.

NTTF

P.S.

Anyone catching any eel, lobster or crab at the moment?

Mackerel bonanza last saturday on chesil beach at seatown, caught about 50 odd in about 3 hours of fishing, quite close in 40 or 50 yards, lots of them were small, some tiny, kept a dozen larger ones, fried in butter , with salt and pepper, ........Treats

pigeon,rabbit,tree rats

from the garden all salad stuff

waiting for cabbage,cauli,carrots, broardbeans, parsnip,spuds, & toms

from hedgerows i,ve picking raspberries for a couple of day,s putting them in pint jar,s in syrup leave for 6 months they as sweet as honey.

still got blackberries from last year in syrup taste fantastic with icecream , yum yum

cjw :good:

pigeon,rabbit,tree rats

from the garden all salad stuff

waiting for cabbage,cauli,carrots, broardbeans, parsnip,spuds, & toms

from hedgerows i,ve picking raspberries for a couple of day,s putting them in pint jar,s in syrup leave for 6 months they as sweet as honey.

still got blackberries from last year in syrup taste fantastic with icecream , yum yum

cjw :good:

cjw,

could you put up a recepie for the rasberry syrup please, in the reciepe section.

NTTF

...'scuse me, I think you've missed your way, this forum is 'PIGEON SHOOTING' sub Talk from the Field.

Technically correct I will grant you,

However whilst in the field shooting pigeons our collective minds drifted towards complementary recipes food presentation and seasonal fair due to the thought process of our good friend over the pond who was undoubtedly musing as to the nutritional value on offer at the table of the good folk on PW here in the UK,

Is that alright with you :good: