Opinions please

to be honest, I wouldn't have a problem using any of the three (Rem, CCI, Win). Pick one that you can get locally and just go with it. You're talking about a hunting gun out near the further end of its normal range. If any of those orange dots were the center of a rabbits head there aren't but 3-4 shots on the whole page that wouldn't have been instant kill shots (and those 3-4 would have depended which way he was facing). You'll have more shot to shot variation in field conditions than you have between groups there.

FWIW, CCI greentags group the best in my gun, but they are solid points, not terribly common, and kinda expensive when you get them. Remmington subs are close and certainly good enough but are HP.

Thanks,

Rick

Once again thanks for all your help.

I was supprised at the RWS as well.

I was shooting resting on my landys' wing mirror, which I appreciate it not the same as a gun vice, but needs must, and i consider myself a half decent shot :rolleyes: . Can anyone tell me what sort of fore and stock rests I could improvise to get a proper picture or what you guys have used??

Have gone for the winchester for the time being, would be intersting to see if any of those go super sonic.

:lol::oops::lol: :lol: Can't thank you all enough for your help :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Once again thanks for all your help.

I was supprised at the RWS as well.

I was shooting resting on my landys' wing mirror, which I appreciate it not the same as a gun vice, but needs must, and i consider myself a half decent shot :rolleyes: . Can anyone tell me what sort of fore and stock rests I could improvise to get a proper picture or what you guys have used??

Have gone for the winchester for the time being, would be intersting to see if any of those go super sonic.

:lol::oops::lol: :lol: Can't thank you all enough for your help :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

T

Stick a piece of 1/2" thick foam on top of your wing mirror, it makes it much easier. Unles you have a bench, rests are not much use, a landy bonnet is not as stable as you would think. My front rest is cut from a piece of high density poly-foam, rear rest is a bank money bag stuffed with tights.

I got myself one of these and one of these. They are enough to get it just that little bit steadier.

Out in the field proper though, I use a bipod and a beanbag under the stock.

AWESOME :rolleyes:

Just ordered the unfilled combo front and rear for £16.99 :lol:

Cheers guys

T

Eley users may be interested to now that the powder used in Eley 22's is the same powder as used in Remingtons, Remington supply it to Eley.

Remington users may be interested to know that some Remington rounds are actually badged Eleys.

They must only knock Remingtons out after 3.30pm on a Friday then :blush:

And your reason for this ridiculous statement? Remington subsonics are the most accurate in all four of my 22's, and I have tried all makes and velocities. If there was a more accurate round in any of my guns, I would use it.

If you are casting aspersions on my statement, I will send you a PM telling you which dock that the powder comes into, where it is stored, and which company transports it to Eley.

If you look here, you will see that the Eley name is on the Remington boxes.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...competition.asp

What .22s have you got bob,because my 597 will not tolerate remy ammo.It will cycle every other brand ok with the odd jam but stick some remington in it and it will jam 3 out of 5.

I use a 10/22, Armi Jager, Beretta and Browning 22's. I have no wish to criticise your gun, but I have yet to see a 597 that will shoot as accuratly as a 10/22. I have owned a 597 and a 552, and Remington rf guns, I do not rate, Remington ammo, I do. But everybody has different tastes, somebody got Cherie Blair pregnant, would you?

Have you tried a different magazine? Mags usually cause more feed problems than guns. If your gun is new, rattle a box or two of HV through it to bed working surfaces in a bit.

The gun was bought second hand(off here actually)and it was purchased as a tool that can sit in the 4x4 while i am out feeding or clarting about at the shoot incase i bump into something that needs shooting,whether its crow,rat,stoat or whatever.It is actually very accurate for a semi auto and it will do for what i want it for.I sorted the mag out by stripping it and getting a nail file and trimming all around the feed seat and it cured 95% of the jams(unless i use remy ammo)I have also bought one of the new remy mags but am yet to try it.I am not alone,lots of comments on american forums saying remington ammo just doesnt work in semi auto remingtons,daft innit.

And your reason for this ridiculous statement? Remington subsonics are the most accurate in all four of my 22's, and I have tried all makes and velocities. If there was a more accurate round in any of my guns, I would use it.

If you are casting aspersions on my statement, I will send you a PM telling you which dock that the powder comes into, where it is stored, and which company transports it to Eley.

If you look here, you will see that the Eley name is on the Remington boxes.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti...competition.asp

Now why did'nt you say you were refering to competition loads :blush: I was refering to these babie's

http://www.remington.com/products/ammuniti.../22_rimfire.asp

TBH I was unaware that Remmington had struck up a partnership with Eley and like the link says their expertise in this field is widly respected .How times move on :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

many thanks to all that offered advice. I have Decided to stick with the Winchester 40grn subs. Eley subs are more expensive but will probably get some to try later.

These were with the same conitions as the original post, but I was on a rest, well, converted workmate and Cadwell deadshot rests {thanks for the link Wookie}

post-10250-1216763203.jpg

Once again Thanks to all :unsure: :hmm:

Just shot 43 good sized rabbits this afternoon with the CZ 425. Used stingers on about a third of them and eley subs on the rest. To be honest, the eleys are cheap and very effective up to about 50 yards. They are deadly a lot futher than that, but holdover starts to raise its ugly head. I have the sight set up for the stingers - aim dead on between about 30 and 75 yards. The Eleys hit a lot lower, but I have found that with the scope set on maximum magnification, when the rabbit is between 20 and 50 yards, if I place its head or chest in the 30 30 reticule below the cross just on top of the lower thick vertical post, it's a certain instant kill every time. This lower post thing doesn't work with other magnifications though. I'll need to think of why but I'm too tired just now.

I think this will work well for me - subs for nearby; stingers for far off. Certainly sorted a good few today.

3030-IR-.jpg

If it's a hot day, or a round has been sitting in a hot gun for a few seconds, most subsonics will go super. Heating the powder generates higher pressure = higher velocity.

What absolute tosh. I have shot match rifle for over 30 years in both cold and hot weather and have never seen any signs of stringing due to taking fast or slow shots.

You can get a round to â€Cook off†in a machine gun, but to say that a rimfire chamber will warm up the powder after â€A few seconds†is absolute nonsense. :yes:

G.M.