Over shooting a field

Si-Bore

Hey guys

Last Sunday I had a great shoot (best yet in fact) and shot 104 birds over laid barley, the farmer with me shot about the same. His friend shot 80 2 days later and I have shot the field twice this week (one of those today) totalling 30 in the 2 shoots. There was hardly any pigeon about at all today and the ones that flew over had their survival instincts highly tuned, flying straight up the centre of the field, avoiding my hide and the other side where I had been during the week.

Common sense has me to believe that the field has been over-shot but also there was a complete wind direction shift so I would think that both factors have had a bearing on the lack of birds over the decoys this morning (12 came in - 11 left alive).

Anyone else noticed a quiet spell after a couple of big bags? They have probably retreated to safer feeding grounds now. :hmm:

Cheers

Si

You certainly can over shoot a field, and it looks like you achieved it.

When McF and myself were at our peak, we found that once per week worked best for numbers, but that a weekend day plus one mid week day could bring good results. I remember one small field of winter rape which we shot regularly over one winter. The numbers were never large, but the shooting and companionship was brilliant. Sadly we lost this land together with several other pieces when the estate was sold and broken up.

webber