battle of pachendale ww1 new mnovie

jcbruno

i was just curiouse have any of you over there herd or seen previews on the Canadian made film that is comming out on nov 11th of this year, it is supposed to be pretty good. Canada rarley gets featured in a film and we have a fine military history with a good record of being formidible troops, anyway many here are pretty excited about it just curiouse if anyone over there have herd about it.

both Canada and the Australian/New Zealander's have been known to accomplish daunting tasks during the wars and because we are smaller commonwealth countries most of the big movies focus on American and or British war efforts with maybe a small mention of Canadians or Anzac's, i can only think of a few war epics focused on us dieppe and devils birgade for Canadians and the odd angry shot, gallipoli and the desert rats for the Australians, and cant recall of any movies about South African or Rhodesians who also have a impecable history of soldiering :rolleyes:

anyway a little FYI about the new movie on Canadians comming out hope you guys can see it or watch for it this rememberance day

Well, I will certainly go and see it. But I hope it doesn't belittle the British effort at Passchendale, Mel Gibson and Hollywood-style, after all it cost Britain nearly 250,000 casualties compared to Canada's 16,000.

Years ago, when I worked in a travel agency, an old chap came in to book one of those Battlefield Tours. He was at Passchendale. He started to tell me about it in the shop. It was the most harrowing account of anything that I've ever heard, and I'm not exactly a sensitive person. It still chokes me up now, when I think about what he told me in the shop.

Apparently, his regiment were ordered over the top and as soon as he stuck his head up above the trench, he was hit on the head by a bullet. His helmet saved his life, but he was knocked back into the trench and woke up in hospital. When he came round, they told him he was the only one left out of his regiment. The poor old boy was in tears in the shop and shaking like a leaf, so we took him up to the office and made him a cup of tea. I stayed talking to him for over an hour. It was fascinating, but truly hideous, I just can't imagine being in a situation like that. :rolleyes:

Do you think it is not time the likes of the worlds most formidable movie directors such as the likes of Spielberg create an epic centered around the first world war?

Such as epic battles of the somme or Ypres?

He gave us saving private ryan which I felt has to one of the greatest war movies of all time yet no one ever creates film's from the earlier conflict, only the occasional drama's. It would be a symbolic point of rememberance for the great numbers of UK and commonwealth troops lost during that conflict.

I have visited many foreign battlefield's from the French coast through the Ardennes and to as far as Kursk..... None so moving as that of what I have visited at the Somme and Messines ridge.

Do you think it is not time the likes of the worlds most formidable movie directors such as the likes of Spielberg create an epic centered around the first world war?

Such as epic battles of the somme or Ypres?

He gave us saving private ryan which I felt has to one of the greatest war movies of all time yet no one ever creates film's from the earlier conflict, only the occasional drama's. It would be a symbolic point of rememberance for the great numbers of UK and commonwealth troops lost during that conflict.

I have visited many foreign battlefield's from the French coast through the Ardennes and to as far as Kursk..... None so moving as that of what I have visited at the Somme and Messines ridge.

I doubt he would seeing as WW1 isn't 'big' in America and a film set in the first world war about foreign troops probably wouldn't probably be paticulary popular over there

Well, I will certainly go and see it. But I hope it doesn't belittle the British effort at Passchendale, Mel Gibson and Hollywood-style, after all it cost Britain nearly 250,000 casualties compared to Canada's 16,000.

Years ago, when I worked in a travel agency, an old chap came in to book one of those Battlefield Tours. He was at Passchendale. He started to tell me about it in the shop. It was the most harrowing account of anything that I've ever heard, and I'm not exactly a sensitive person. It still chokes me up now, when I think about what he told me in the shop.

Apparently, his regiment were ordered over the top and as soon as he stuck his head up above the trench, he was hit on the head by a bullet. His helmet saved his life, but he was knocked back into the trench and woke up in hospital. When he came round, they told him he was the only one left out of his regiment. The poor old boy was in tears in the shop and shaking like a leaf, so we took him up to the office and made him a cup of tea. I stayed talking to him for over an hour. It was fascinating, but truly hideous, I just can't imagine being in a situation like that. :rolleyes:

I must admit there seems to be a little bit of a habit when some people speak of the history from a Canadian, Australian etc point of view there seems to be a popular habit of blaming the British high command for mistakes and on a few occasions British high command blamed colonial troops as well for blunders, its easy to judge later i have read enough books to realize the truth for example Gallipoli was not only an Australian campaign but many British and small numbers of other commonwealth ad allied troops died there as well as i have family who served in both the British and Canadian military and have in no way any disrespect to the British fallen. but credit must also be given where do and the fact that many British, French, and German high command old school generals were stubborn in their ways and didnt want to adapt to this new kind of war and the cost on all sides was bloody butcher and how many great people on all sides never got to live and Canadian's Aussies etc were known for adapting to this new war a little better and found success respectfully you point out Canadas casualty numbers as compared to the British and i say fair enough however one must also realize Canada and other commonwealth frontier countries small population as compare to the UK and the fact thats as such small and new countries at the time we gave a huge sacrafice to the wars and for our sizes it is something to be very proud off with absoulutley 0 disrespect to the British as i and many know suffered hugely in both wars but a fact i am very proud of when the UK and her Commonwealth stood alone against the nazis years before the USA entered the war the Canadian Army quickly took up garrison in the UK our farmers worked to feed the Londoners and others during the blitz we developed the commonwealth air training plan to train pilots from all over the Commonwealth to fly in the Battle of Britain, we sacraficed the most at Dieppe 5000 killed and captured as we learnt the lessons for D-day, for one of the newest countries in the world we developed the worlds 5th largest navy to fight in the battle of the North atlantic battling subs so the merchant marine could keep ships with food and supplies going to Britain during the worst years of the war for Britain, and on D-day the Canadians met all there objectives and advanced the furthest inland out of all the allies, and in WW1 the battle of Vimy ridge the birth of Canada as a nation as it was said all of Canada on parade from east to west and we took the ridge when many other tried and couldn't much doctine changed after that success thanks to canadians adaptability, in more modern times Canada introduced the idea of using soldiers as peecekeeper's, recent poles in Afghanastan show the Taliban feer Canadian's the most, and at preasent my regiment holds the world record for the longest recorded sniper kill not bad for a country not even 200 years old yet. i say these things not to brag but people should know that Canada as much as anyone else did there part and more to the call of freedom.

Edited by jcbruno

i was just curiouse have any of you over there herd or seen previews on the Canadian made film that is comming out on nov 11th of this year, it is supposed to be pretty good. Canada rarley gets featured in a film and we have a fine military history with a good record of being formidible troops, anyway many here are pretty excited about it just curiouse if anyone over there have herd about it.

both Canada and the Australian/New Zealander's have been known to accomplish daunting tasks during the wars and because we are smaller commonwealth countries most of the big movies focus on American and or British war efforts with maybe a small mention of Canadians or Anzac's, i can only think of a few war epics focused on us dieppe and devils birgade for Canadians and the odd angry shot, gallipoli and the desert rats for the Australians, and cant recall of any movies about South African or Rhodesians who also have a impecable history of soldiering :rolleyes:

anyway a little FYI about the new movie on Canadians comming out hope you guys can see it or watch for it this rememberance day

Very true, you're absolutely right about Canada's proud military tradition and vital role in the Allied victories. Few people now realise the immense contribution made by troops from all over the empire. Canada had been granted dominion status in 1867 and had no obligation to fight in either war. She nonetheless came loyally to Britain's aid, as you rightly say making a considerable sacrifice to do so.

Interestingly, and perhaps more surprisingly, India also provided a huge amount for the war effort, fighting in many theatres and raising in excess of 2 million volunteer soldiers, the largest volunteer army in history.

I read a book a while ago (I can't remember the author) that suggested that the Second World War represents the ultimate justification for the empire, and sees its subsequent rapid destruction as a noble if inevitable act of sacrifice. This seems a little fanciful, but it is certainly true that brave men volunteered from all over the empire in one of the greatest and most necessary ventures in the history of mankind. Had they not, the history of the world would have been very different, for Nazism was one of the purest expressions of barbarism ever seen. Churchill's awesomely inspiring speeches were absolutely true, and the struggle, even though it was of course for survival, was genuinely one between good and evil.

When you think about it, the courage and sacrifice on the part of people living on the other side of the world is extraordinary. This is particularly so in the case of Canada, which faced no immediate threat from from the Axis powers.

Thanks for the tip about the film, I'll definitely look out for it.

Robert

thanks maiden 22. i think after the 2 world wars the british empire and commonwealth became more fragmentd and in some cases some coutries wanted to cut off all links and better yet countries like Canada,Australia,New Zealand etc remaind proudly part of the Commonwealth but because of our own succeses in the wars saw our selves as more then even just dominion's but as true nations in our own right but still to this day and i hope we always do maintain our selves as Commonwealth countries with a strong linck to our marvelouse old conuntry the UK :rolleyes:

i think to many in Canada Mark steyn is very accepted,and a nice change in opinions, but i think to many new Canadians form countries in the middle east and south east asia that have no intrest in Canadas past history and have little to no interest in being accepting of our past and culture but wish to wave there flag they dont wish to integrate but are quick to condemn the west but sure like collecting there government grants and hide behind the banner of multiculturulisim but yet dont wish to accept my white english speaking anglosaxon culture somehow many white Canadians are suposed to feel guilty for our succes and surender every thing and i for one am sick of seeing our kids being taught to not even question some of these issues but to accept all this leftwing propagahnda as gospel. you know in ww2 many german and japanese Canadians who were given a train ticket to the prairies to farm made learning English there primary concern and many yet served the allies by enlisting and fighting the ideals of hate even if it ment to their former homelands i guess now the west is a free ride

even for extreme islamic people who openly preech there hate. I hope things change more and more people are starting to realize this ignorance and question it :rolleyes:

thanks m8 i started of in the reserves the Royal Rrgina Rifles i am going to be getting out in about 3 years after a tour to Afghanastan i will be going back on reserve status the Calgary Highlanders and then will try a atache posting to the British army TA and live and work in the UK for a year to me its like my pilgrimage to my mecca and feel honerd just to participate, looking forward to you historical landscapes and taking in a little hunting British style

My Grandfathers brother fought at Ypres with the "Slashers" I think the assualt on the village Passchendale was one of the battles which saw horrendous Canadian casualties........I rember vividly as a lad, of his talking of his immense regard for the voracity and courage of the Canadian 1st and 2nd batallion,

Incidently My grandfather himself saw action at Gallipolli with the Glos Royal Hussars ( minus their horses ) where 75%of his regiment was wiped out and he engaged in hand to hand fighting with the Turkish who he said were "The devils slaves incarnate" He hated the Turks with a passion until the day he died in 1974. He too held great respect for the ANZAC troops many of which died unneccessarily due to the futile military tactics of the Brithish commanders at the time. On returning to Gloucesershire in 1917 he brought a cap badge of a soldier of what was I think the 9th Australian which my great Aunt who is 98 still has to this day.

Interestingly the "Slashers" got their nickname thanks to the belligerence of a Canadian the regimental account of which is as follows.....................

The Gloucestershire Regiment 28th/61st. have acquired several nicknames during their long history, The Old Braggs, Sliver Tailed Dandies, The Flowers of Toulouse but the one that has endured and is now recognised as the official nickname of the Royal Gloucestershire Berkshire & Wiltshire Regiment is the 'Slashers'. Today the Battalion's Rugby & Soccer teams are identified as the 'Slashers'. Hence when choosing a title for our website contacts page, introduced to unite former members of the Regiment with friends with whom they served, we had no hesitation in calling it 'Slashers Reunited'.

So how did the nickname 'Slashers' originate?

It dates back in fact to 1764 when the 28th found themselves on garrison duties in Montreal during a bitter Canadian winter. A certain Thomas Walker, a wealthy City merchant and magistrate was making life for the 28th and their families very difficult. He opposed the military government at every opportunity and being a local magistrate used his position to harass the soldiers unfairly.

The winter was severe and with no barrack accommodation in Montreal, he ensured that the officers and men were given the poorest and most uncomfortable quarters available. Soldiers and their families were regularly being evicted from their billets into the bitter winter cold for no good reason.

Matters were eventually brought to a head. The men of the 28th had had enough and decided amongst themselves that it was time to deal with Mr. Thomas Walker.

On the evening of the 6th December 1764 a group of men armed and disguised stormed into Walkers home whilst he was sitting at the dinner table with family and guests. The party scattered in fear of their lives and Walker tried in vain to reach for his weapons in the next room. He was attacked and it was said, defended himself with spirit, he was however overpowered and in the ensuing struggle a sword was drawn and half of his right ear was slashed off and taken as a trophy by his fleeing assailants.

The following day all hell broke loose in Montreal an inquiry was immediately launched and arrests quickly followed. Everything possible was done to try to identify the assailants to no avail. The soldiers stood by each others alibi's throughout the interrogation and nothing was ever established.

There was however plenty of evidence gathered, bloodstained jackets with 28th facings were found hidden, a Sergeant had borrowed a sword earlier in the evening. Certain soldiers were absent from their quarters at the time of the incident. But no one was brought to trial.

It was thought however that the perpetrators were probably Sgt. Rogers, Sgt. Mee, Pte's Coleman and McLaughlan all of the 28th. It was also believed that four other private soldiers were involved and the names of two officers, Capt. Payne and Lt. Tottenham were being mentioned in hushed terms.

So from the incident of 'Walkers ear' the nickname of the 'Slashers' found its way into the Regiments vocabulary.

In all it seems to have been a close 'Regimental Family' affair for nothing was proven and the true account of events was taken by the men of the 28th to their eventual graves. One certain fact however emerged....Nobody messes with the 28th and gets away with it!

Cheers FM.

great story fisherman mike, it is interesting to note that many Canadian regiments bore the name to this day to there mother ancestor regiments in the British Army and from what i gather the same goes for many other commonwealth regiments in Australia,New Zealand and south Africa for example the Black Watch Highland regiment of Canada,the Queens onw Rifles of Canada,The Capetown HIghlanders,the Royal New Zealand Infantry Regiment,The Royal Australian Regiment,the Royal Canadian Regiment etc etc. 2 regiments of the British Army that had a perfound impact on Canada and our military heritage linked to yours the Royal Green Jackets which to this day there are many Rifle regiments in Canada and of course the Famed Black watch highlanders and of course as i mentiond both us and you have maintained the history of the Black Watch

On my last visit to Vimy Ridge the Canadian state bureau was making a fine job of restoring and transferring to CD a lot of footage of Canadian actions at this monumental battle. I am sure they have an online catalogue.

yeah there was a rededication of the statue and a very moving cermony indeed a young meties lady with the fiddle and a beautiful traditional beed dress and another canadian Army piper played the Metis battle song as a long overdue commendation to the Indian and meties soldiers who even though treated like second class canadians gave selflessly to Canada and the British Empire :rolleyes: it was a fantastic ceremony

Edited by jcbruno

I love reading and watching movies of the World Wars. I remember reading a book I forgot the name of it but the allies was in a trench everyone had there patch like USA had the northern bit Briton and France had middle and Canada had south. Anyway the germans broke through the British and French trenchs and the operation was about to fail and the Canadadian troops took the job on in filling back the hole that was left in the trench and beat the Germans back again.

Again what an effort to do that saved the British-fFranco from humiliation.

Great effort by all coutries that thought for Freedom.

Df

Perhaps the greatest sacrifice by the "Canadians" was on 1 July 1916 at Beaumont Hamel on the Somme, where the Newfoundland Regiment was completely decimated within the first half hour of battle.

At that time Newfoundland was, in fact, not even a part of Canada, but a separate independent colony, however they willingly provided a Regiment who fought alongside the British with the greatest of honour throughout the battle of the Somme.

They were in the second wave of assault troops on 1st July, and due to the forward trenches being full with wounded troops from the Essex regiment from the earlier initial assault, had to advance over open ground in full view of the German machine guns, and they paid the price.

801 brave Newfoundland men went "over the top", the next day only 69 men answered the roll call, the rest were either dead or wounded.

Those who have studied the history of both the first & second world wars know that we could not have "won" either war without the help of the Canadian and other colonial troops, the Canadians fought like demons in Normandy and beyond, we owe them a great debt of gratitude.

Cat.

• 3 months later...
I love reading and watching movies of the World Wars. I remember reading a book I forgot the name of it but the allies was in a trench everyone had there patch like USA had the northern bit Briton and France had middle and Canada had south. Anyway the germans broke through the British and French trenchs and the operation was about to fail and the Canadadian troops took the job on in filling back the hole that was left in the trench and beat the Germans back again.

Df

I'm sure all them German lads thought they were fighting for freedom as well.

Df

I'm sure all them German lads thought they were fighting for freedom as well.

most of those german lads in WW2 were fighting for a misguided little corperal and his cronnies towards the final solution ?