.410 big loads

Ok, before it all kicks off, I'm asking advice out of interest, not cos I necessarily want to try it! :good:

You can fit 4 SG shot into a 3" .410 case. The weight is the same. As you only get 9 in a 12g cartridge, does this mean you can effectively use the 410 at half the distance of the 12?

I was shooting rats by the chicken sheds when a fox popped his head around the corner about 10yds away, and I was wondering if this was feasable, or if I'd blow the barrel up! :good:

Any other suggestions for a v close range fox load for a 410?

Ok, before it all kicks off, I'm asking advice out of interest, not cos I necessarily want to try it! :good:

You can fit 4 SG shot into a 3" .410 case. The weight is the same. As you only get 9 in a 12g cartridge, does this mean you can effectively use the 410 at half the distance of the 12?

I was shooting rats by the chicken sheds when a fox popped his head around the corner about 10yds away, and I was wondering if this was feasable, or if I'd blow the barrel up! :good:

Any other suggestions for a v close range fox load for a 410?

No real reason not to, one SG weighs 3.54 gms, = 14.16 gms load, Lyalvale load 16gms into a 3" case, so you won't be creating dangerous pressures, and SG is .33" diameter, so it will clear your chokes ok. Your biggest problem will be getting a good crimp after re-loading, to ensure clean burning of the powder.

You will have one problem however in that your loaded cartridges will be illegal unless on a FAC, 4 or less ball in a cartridge are FAC only.

At 10 yards your 3" 410 would have killed a fox with No.6 shot.

Quite honestly, I would buy a box of BB if you want to play.

Edited by bob300w

When I were a lad we used to pull the shot from 410's and replace it with a 303 bullet, pressures must gave been horrific in the short cartridges, so don't even consider this one! Come to think of it, we used to fire live 303 rounds in our 410's as well, I don't remember hitting anything though. Actually when I think about it, it's nothing short of a miracle that the crowd that I grew up with survived childhood!

I remember stories of people pouring molten wax into cartridges for foxes. God knows what that'd do! :good:

Yep, that was another one, melting candles and pouring the wax in, another stunt guaranteed to raise pressures above roof level and reduce your life expectancy.

Grease in with the shot was another trick, the odd thing is that these ideas were supposed to be the answer to all known problems, yet I do not remember a single instance of one being used successfully on anything!

Usually all that grease and wax did was to soak into and swell the cardboard cases of the time, making them too large to fit in the gun, necessitating peeling off a layer or two or the paper.

I was once standing next to a guy whose twelve bore pump action blew up. There were jagged bits of metal everywhere, mostly, peeled back from the barrel in every direction and fortunately still attached. It was a salutary lesson. It opened up like a banana skin in strips and peeled itself.

I will never fool about with any firearm since then. He was making his own slug gun when that happened. It could have done all or any of the things Henry mentioned, and not only to him since I was a yard away from the event.

Edited by Evilv

So why did it blow up ? had he played about with it or something?

sounds pretty nasty either way ! :good:

He was firing solid slugs in home loads. One of them just clicked loudly (probably no powder - primer pushed the slug up the tube) and the following shot came up behind a slug stuck in the barrel. This was in the days when you could have five shot pump action guns. He was blazing away with this thing and click (cycle) boom (burst barrel) and really close shave.

Edited by Evilv

A comedian might say -

Thumb? That's nothing, I know a man who cast and fired his own todger.

He thought was great but his wife didn't.

She looked at the twelve bore barrel and said to her friend, 'See what I've had o put up wi' all these years.'

'I sympathise, said her friend, 'but look on the bright side. At least he wasn't shooting it out of a 410.'

Edited by Evilv