Flintlock squirrel rifle.

Cranfield

A friend of mine in the US sent me this picture and I have added an extract from the accompanying email.

"This rifle, made by the young fellow holding it-a very good friend of mine named Billy Harkins-is a duplicate of my own squirrel rifle. He had my rifle on the bench in front of him when he made this one so he could take accurate measurements from it. My rifle was carefully duplicated from an original 1780ish flintlock Southern Mountain Rifle that was made and used in the area between Spartanburg, SC and Franklin,NC which is close to Billy's and my home in the North Georgia Mountains. Billy made this rifle for another very good friend who lives here in Tallahassee.

The rifle has a 48 inch swamped barrel, .25cal. The triggers are double-set as were those on the original, and this adds greatly to the accuracy. The stock on both this rifle and mine is tiger striped hard maple and was cut around the Reel Foot Lake area of Tennessee, over where Tenn, Ky, Ark and Mo all come together. The iron buttplate, trigger guard, thimbles etc, forged out by Billy, came from wrought iron discarded from a site dating to the early 1800's.

Thought some might be interested in knowing that flintlock rifle building isn't a dead art yet! I strongly suspect that this is going to be one highly accurate little squirrel rifle, and as soon as squirrel season opens at Joe Budd we'll find out. "

Now thats what you call a rifle. :good:

post-215-1216665751.jpg

The best thing is that one man made it out of lumps of old iron and a plank of wood. How often is anything ever made like that anymore? A man who can do things like that is a prince among men. Me - I can just about sharpen a stick with a pen knife.