Which cal.?

wildfowler.250

223 or 22/250 will be perfect. the 223 is good for 300 yard if not more ! it just depends on who is shooting if you no the rifle well and are sure of a clean kill at those ranges then it will kill at those ranges.

ive seen a 223 kill foxes at 300 + yards and at night ! i no some mite say thats risky but if you can see it and your sure of the rifle and use to it. it can be done i was there when it was done i was on the lamp for my mate.

i went for the 22/250 for the reason just said because it is flater and more forgiving on range when you get out to 250 to 300 yards. i still havent really shot my rifle that much as i have only just got the mod for it. with out mod shooting centrefires your asking for trouble with your earing.

22/250 factory ammo is more dear but if your luck then your rifle mite shoot cheap ammo like privi ammo at 8 pound a box of 20 so not to bad. my rifle shoots privi ammo very well and my mate had a 1/4 inch group with it from my gun.

soon as i next go out im going to see what she can do now i have mod for it :)

the 22/250 will last for 1000's and 1000's of rounds as long as you clean it and look after it. dont get puting loads of silly fps homeloads down it and your be fine.

:devil:

and like john said dead is dead no matter if its 223 or 22/250 both make a stupid amount of mess.

if a 22/250 can do this at 200 yards on 8mmmm steel ! then a fox has no chance the ones that didnt go through are from 223 and the tinny mark on the left is hmr :yes:

DSC05231.jpg

this is where it was at the top of field DSC05230.jpg

Edited by jamie g

Either round will do the job as mentioned before. Personally I'd go for the .223 as the rounds are probably cheaper (I'm not sure of current U.K prices).

Obviously the best would be a .223WSSM (more power than the .223 and .22-250 and flatter shooting than than either with more power) but the price for WSSM rounds in the U.K is stupid and like the guys said before dead is dead. :good:

• 4 weeks later...
Ok thanks guys! :good:

By the sounds of it either one will do the job!

flipping heck, just looking at the exit holes on that steel....BIG step up from the .17 ! :yes:

hi mate that isnt exit holes that is entry holes ! its weird because my friend said that to me it looks like they have come out that way not gone in that way.

have you picked which cal your going for now ?

Variation is all filled out apart from the caliber bit :thanks:

I've got a reflex moderator on my .17hmr and I was planning on puttng that on my next fox rifle so it all depends how large a caliber i can put it on if that makes sense. If it will fit onto a 22-250 i might just go for that and if .223 is as large as i can go with the moderator then it seems like a good choice anyway.

Something tells me that .223 is as large a caliber as the mod will fit onto though :lol:

just like to add a thought for you :lol: have you got the experience to shoot at 200yards+,not bieng nasty,but that is a long way in the light,lrt alone in the dark :lol: try it one night when your out.pace out 200yards and see for yourself.Please dont take it the wrong way not being nasty,but if you are confident you can make a clean kill at that rangego for 22.250.I shoot a 222,have done for ten years or more,{not that long compared to others,}most of the time lamping, most of the foxes can be shot under 150 plus, :thanks: at that range with the 222 with a mod on you can see them drop before you hear the bang. : :lol:.Very rare for the bullet to pass thourgh, dead but no worrys of where the bullet has gone after.i know,must have a good backdrop,but do you know the bullet will go straight after it exits??.

:P the max you should strech,is only the distance you know thatyou can kill the target humanly.if you think it is to far then you dont shoot it. :no: that where your fieldcraft comes in handy :D if they are that far,clock the time,put bait out the next night and be there before him and a bit closer the next night :good: we owe it to our quarry for 1 shot 1 kill nothing else is good enough.just think for a minit at 250+yards you shoot at your fox on the lamp and woond it,do you go and look for it,which way did he go :hmm::hmm: .just something to think about,when i started shooting with the 222,had listened to a lot off people who said ye shot em 250 easy and i fell into the trap that "I" could. :no: out the one night and there he was the one i was waiting for,that 200 yard shot. :good: cheeck its safe :lol: get on the bypod settle for the shot, :lol: and bang,fox go`s down :yp: :yp: ,when i get to the spot a lot of blood but no fox :no::no:.Had a good look for it but could`nt find it :no: .But the farmer did a week later still alive with his bottom jaw missing and slowly starving to death :no::no: he put it out of it misery with the tractor.He was not very happy with me,nearly lost that permissoin over it. But ok now.just came back in after a shine about :P Give you some idea what a .222 will do,boyh of these were shot at about 125yards apporx.it is the exit on the fox,shot down onto him,these welsh hill can be steep sometimes

post-10309-1220140685.jpg

post-10309-1220140738.jpg

Edited by ricky green

Variation is all filled out apart from the caliber bit :good:

I've got a reflex moderator on my .17hmr and I was planning on puttng that on my next fox rifle so it all depends how large a caliber i can put it on if that makes sense. If it will fit onto a 22-250 i might just go for that and if .223 is as large as i can go with the moderator then it seems like a good choice anyway.

Something tells me that .223 is as large a caliber as the mod will fit onto though :look:

hi mate i would advice you not to use the reflex mod on your hmr and then on a centrefire. the reflex mod was made for centrefire rifles not rimfire rifles.

if anything a sak mod will be more silent then the reflex mod because the amount of gas that will escape from the reflex

so in turn the mod isnt doing its full job.

ALSO IT CAN BE DANGEROUS i read on some sites that a guy was doing this and oneday he had his mod on centrefire and it went bang ! because the rimfire had left unburnt powder in the mod so the centrefire round and reacted with that.

as for the size then the relfex mod is for 22 cal centrefire rifles it will fit 222,223,22/250. all relex mods i think are made upto 25 cal or 30 cal. again the same thing applys.

a 25 mod will be more afective on a 22 cal rifle then a 30 cal mod will. but you could use a 30 cal mod on 22 cal centrefires and above so thats what some people do. as then they can use it on different rifles they own.

as for the distance for 223 and 22/250 well you could go to 500 yards ! if a you had the right setup the right scope, no wind etc etc....

and most important could you hit something and be sure of a clean kill. the rifle will always out shoot the person shooting it.

im sure you no the dangers of these rifles you dont get a second chance.

my vote is for the 22/250 :good: it does the job look :good:

DSC05460.jpg

Variation is all filled out apart from the caliber bit :good:

Something tells me that .223 is as large a caliber as the mod will fit onto though :oops:

hi mate i would advice you not to use the reflex mod on your hmr and then on a centrefire. the reflex mod was made for centrefire rifles not rimfire rifles.

if anything a sak mod will be more silent then the reflex mod because the amount of gas that will escape from the reflex

so in turn the mod isnt doing its full job.

ALSO IT CAN BE DANGEROUS i read on some sites that a guy was doing this and oneday he had his mod on centrefire and it went bang ! because the rimfire had left unburnt powder in the mod so the centrefire round and reacted with that.

as for the size then the relfex mod is for 22 cal centrefire rifles it will fit 222,223,22/250. all relex mods i think are made upto 25 cal or 30 cal. again the same thing applys.

a 25 mod will be more afective on a 22 cal rifle then a 30 cal mod will. but you could use a 30 cal mod on 22 cal centrefires and above so thats what some people do. as then they can use it on different rifles they own.

as for the distance for 223 and 22/250 well you could go to 500 yards ! if a you had the right setup the right scope, no wind etc etc....

and most important could you hit something and be sure of a clean kill. the rifle will always out shoot the person shooting it.

im sure you no the dangers of these rifles you dont get a second chance.

my vote is for the 22/250 :good: it does the job look :look:

DSC05460.jpg

Thanks :good: yeah I was planning getting a sak mod for the HMR and putting my relfex onto the next gun, (i'll just make sure its nice and clean first). Thats an almost ideantical if not the same mod to what im using atm so glad to know it will fit a 22-250....

http://czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=21 Not a half bad looking gun :oops:

CZ do some nice rifles. Here's a pic of me with mine, it's my screensaver :good:

12062008072.jpg

It's a CZ527 Varmint Laminate .223, with Predator 8 mod and some cheapo bipod. That Fox didn't make it far, I shot him head on in the chest from about 7 yards :good:

Edited by njc110381

Thanks :good: yeah I was planning getting a sak mod for the HMR and putting my relfex onto the next gun, (i'll just make sure its nice and clean first). Thats an almost ideantical if not the same mod to what im using atm so glad to know it will fit a 22-250....

http://czusa.com/product_detail.php?id=21 Not a half bad looking gun :good:

i see you have the ase mod not the t8 reflex then mate ? i take it you have the 1/2 thread for it then if its on your hmr.

for it to fit on a centrefire then i would have a light barreled centrefire as most heavy barrel centrefire rifles come with a thicker thread like a 5/8 or m 17x1

if thats the case you wont be able to use that mod on one. well inless you get it cut for that thread :good:

out the one night and there he was the one i was waiting for,that 200 yard shot. :good: cheeck its safe :hmm: get on the bypod settle for the shot, :yes: and bang,fox go`s down :hmm::blush: ,when i get to the spot a lot of blood but no fox :blink: :no:.Had a good look for it but could`nt find it :no: .But the farmer did a week later still alive with his bottom jaw missing and slowly starving to death :no::no: he put it out of it misery with the tractor.

That's the story that should put people off taking long speculative shots, or shooting with rimfire at foxes that are more than a few yards away. I know they will kill them, but how many get away? Pulling that trigger on a living creature brings a serious responsibility that most of us take seriously.

Edited by Evilv

Fister, don't jump to conclusions: I took a quartering shot at a fox this last week that ended up disembowelled. I'd shot it with a 70gr V-Shok out of a .243, straight through the shoulder, destroying its chest cavity and then blowing its guts out on its exit. It was effectively hollow when I picked it up, but on first glance looked like it had been gut-shot.