I dont think there are any good 17hmrs...

wannabefisher

. With a 5 shot mag, it's OK if it is fully loaded, but if you have already fired off a few rounds then there will only be 2/3 left in there, which isn't enough. The way around this is to reload each time theres a small break, but that's a real pain.

Or you could carry loaded spare mags as previously stated

There's now't tedious with the Quad 5 round mag.

It flips out ever so easy into the hand when the rifle is facing upwards. It's dead easy to load in the dark - easier than a mates CZ he says and it's flush with the bottom of the abs stock... can't comment on the wood one though. The mag also has a viewing hole to let the user view the presence or absence of the fith bullet - in case your a little forgetful with all the excitement.

Another very clever aspect of the Quad in respect of slight memory fade in the chase is that if the safety does'nt engage the gun has not been cocked or recocked. Furthermore, the safety is notably silent.

I have had zero problems though, but they seem to clear up with a good copper solvent clean - bronze brushes don't seem to keep it very happy.

No point spending mega money on a 17HMR rifle, the cartridge just isnt good enough to justify the cost, I know, I have had 3 and still own one. Its a useful tool but to be honest, i just dont like them as I just find the cartridge itself to fickle and unreliable with too many inconsistencies and flyers and that is before we get to the wind. Like i said, i have one and do use it but I dont trust it like I trust my 22 rimmy and centrefires.

Just buy a cz.

Yep, says it all, despite the "consistent 200 yard plus" claims being made for it. I have used three, a Henry, Anschutz and CZ, and they are not the answer to a maidens prayer, they are far from it.

And like fister, I have more confidence in 22rf to do the job. If i want to "stretch the barrel" as they used to say in Essex, I use the 223 and do the job properly.

My Winchester 9417 has a nine shot magazine in the tube under the barrel. One thing though, I suspect that it is far quicker to reload a couple of CZ magazines than to undo the end of my tube, slide out the brass carrier and plop in nine new rounds. Also, it is a far less convenient system when you want to unload quickly, like say when you meet someone on the farm and wish to make the gun completely safe. That's a doddle with the CZ. Not so the Winchester.

No point spending mega money on a 17HMR rifle, the cartridge just isnt good enough to justify the cost, I know, I have had 3 and still own one. Its a useful tool but to be honest, i just dont like them as I just find the cartridge itself to fickle and unreliable with too many inconsistencies and flyers and that is before we get to the wind. Like i said, i have one and do use it but I dont trust it like I trust my 22 rimmy and centrefires.

Just buy a cz.

Yep, says it all, despite the "consistent 200 yard plus" claims being made for it. I have used three, a Henry, Anschutz and CZ, and they are not the answer to a maidens prayer, they are far from it.

And like fister, I have more confidence in 22rf to do the job. If i want to "stretch the barrel" as they used to say in Essex, I use the 223 and do the job properly.

:good::yes::hmm:

Come's in handy now and again though :D

My Winchester 9417 has a nine shot magazine in the tube under the barrel. One thing though, I suspect that it is far quicker to reload a couple of CZ magazines than to undo the end of my tube, slide out the brass carrier and plop in nine new rounds. Also, it is a far less convenient system when you want to unload quickly, like say when you meet someone on the farm and wish to make the gun completely safe. That's a doddle with the CZ. Not so the Winchester.

It's a doddle, just open the lever fully, they can see clearly that the breech is open and it's 100% safe, leave the tube full. I would rather see a gun like this, than one closed but empty.

It's a doddle, just open the lever fully, they can see clearly that the breech is open and it's 100% safe, leave the tube full. I would rather see a gun like this, than one closed but empty.

Yes I take your point and the open lever is a more obvious sign than an open bolt.

However, with the CZ, I remove the magazine AND pull the bolt. On the Winchester if I meet and stop to talk to someone, or case the gun to cross a road,I fully unload the gun. That means I need to empty the magazine which is a bit awkward, though perfectly possible. Then I have to cycle the action which ALWAYS involves loading and unloading a live round with the hammer fully back (only has a half cock safety). I have to cycle the action because even though I have emptied the tube, there is ALWAYS a live one already in the claw of the bolt ready to load and that one will only come out by working the lever.

Still, it's a nice gun in a nostalgic sort of way and I do enjoy using it. It's extremely light and very good offhand at ranges like fifty or sixty yards. Further than that and I'd have to adopt some other position. There has never been a really calm day to judge the guns accuracy properly since I bought it. I think about a 12 mph wind was the calmest condition I've used it in, but it is stunningly good on long range rabbits even so.

Edited by Evilv

What do you find ridiculous about the Anschutz safety? Ive got one and I find it does all that

I ask of it. Yes the mag limitations are a bit annoying but get a spare one.

Yes no probs here it is easy to flick on and off with your right thumb even with shooting gloves on. Ive only had mine a few weeks but i love it, them bunnys are just so easy to hit :lol:

with a bit of modding to the mag of a CZ you can get 7 rounds in em, and one in the spout.

there only rabbits , they will be there the day after.

if the shooting is as easy as you say then the .22 RF is the way to go

to maintain the efficiency.

Edited by markbivvy