ferret odour control

stevematthews79

hi people finally got my new ferret today, a 6 month poley hob. He is a rescue from sid's ferret welfare in bradford. They had him brought in cos he didn't get on with other ferrets and was full of beans and a bit lively for the previous owner. I've never seen a ferret dance as much as this one when if gets excited, and was straight into tunnels and small spaces when i got him home so looking good for when i work him and man is he quick. He doesn't smell too much but was curious what air freshness people used, or oil burners or whatever to minimise smell. I'm having him castrated as soon as his bits drop and using decent litter recommended by pet shop. Any other tips for me and my new flatmate/ daughters new pet welcome. And she has given him his name. Big boy

Edited by stevematthews79

hi mate can i just say as he is 6 months he is old enough to have his bits choped off and that stops the smell abit as when his bits drop will be when he coming into season next year and i would get it done before then as it can caurse problems sometimes.he is old enought now i have 2 getting done when thay are 6 months.all the best.

The best way to keep the smell down, is to keep them clean and that includes fresh bedding.

Hobs will smell musky during the breeding season, but other than that they are not too bad.

Assuming you are keeping him outside, avoid any deodorisers or anything similar, as these can cause skin and respiratory problems.

my ferret is being kept indoors in my flat in a large cage and is let out for a few hours a day to play about. Decided on a change of name after it escaped and drew blood on my flatmate after terrorising her when she couldn't catch him. Either houdini or asbo can't quite decide yet. The next few days will tell which name i go for! Cage has now been secured. Definite design flaw considering it was advertised as ferret cage. Had to cable tie the removable tray as the ferret also found it to be removable and squeezed underneath!

The best way to keep the smell down, is to keep them clean and that includes fresh bedding.

Hobs will smell musky during the breeding season, but other than that they are not too bad.

Assuming you are keeping him outside, avoid any deodorisers or anything similar, as these can cause skin and respiratory problems.

:hmm:

ask the vet to remove his scent glands at the same time as he is vasectamised.

:D And any vet that does that is interested in lucre rather than animal welfare :hmm:

Think through your next course of action carefully please :yes:

LB

hello,

just get him done in the normal way.

We use dust extracted pine shavings here, as the fresh pine masks a bit of the smell of pooh.

Ferrets are generally very clean and you should not need to bathe them often.

IF you are concerned there is a lil bit of a smell, just use a bit of Febreeze on ya sofa, but not on the ferret :yes:

i thought that the rabbits bolted when they could smell the ferret's smell rather than because it confronts the rabbit. This theoretically should reduce lay ups as the rabbit has a few seconds to bolt. Take your point that u are making though i'm not a vet and there may health or recovery issues. Removal of scent glands is very much an american practice from what i can tell, i had considered it but for the reasons above but decided about looking any further into it.

You will be lucky to find a vet to perform a mutation like scent glad removal, there scent glands are only usually released for a good reason.

All you can do is keep him nice & clean , make sure his bedding is fresh , i kept an entire adult in the house part of last year with no overpowering smell at all :good:

ask the vet to remove his scent glands at the same time as he is vasectamised.

apart from it being illegal in the uk, someones been reading american books again

so whats wrong with scent gland removal, the animal will already be under anasthetic, removing them will not make the slightest difference to him. if you are worried about his welfare dont have him neutered in the first place.

having him snipped or castrated are two op's that are of use to a fert, the snip so you have a hob to get jills out of season, or castration to stop fighting between hobs kept together

removing scent glands is only beneficial to the owner, if an owner dont like the smell, its simply, get a goldfish instead

Stubby, i think you are wrong, what possible use is it for a hob not to get a jill pregnant? it is only useful for its owner.

Kay, and you would say having your balls cut off is not mutation?

I dont have balls so i wouldnt know :rolleyes: well other than eye balls :stupid:

Stubby, i think you are wrong, what possible use is it for a hob not to get a jill pregnant? it is only useful for its owner.

I dont have balls so i wouldnt know :stupid: well other than eye balls :o

ROTFFLMFAO

LB :rolleyes:

I dont have balls so i wouldnt know :rolleyes: well other than eye balls :lol:

ah well never mind, perhaps you will be luck in another life. :stupid: :o :lol:

I dont have balls so i wouldnt know :good: well other than eye balls :lol:

ah well never mind, perhaps you will be luck in another life. :yes::hmm::good:

I am happy with my eyeballs :lol: