cleaning sak mod

dusk2dawn

Out last night and the .22 is seeming to sound louder these days sooo I took the SAK off and unscrewed the end cap, not like the PH which has a thousand washers to clean, this is solid, does it dismantle?

I have put various wire brushes through it and a very small amount of gunk has come out.

Any help appreciated. :yes:

:o D2D

End cap? are you sure its a SAK?

Mine has a single grubscrew holding the outer sleeve in place onto the cntral "hub" - which has a bullet hole through its length and large cavities milled through its sides. The central o/d of the hub was mostly milled off to leave an expansion space around the edge of it.

To clean I undo the screw and whack it end on - onto a bench to separate the parts. The first one I tried to separate (fleabags actually) had been left too long and had sort of corroded itself together.

No its supposed to be solid i think. I just got one and the info said not to ever bother cleaning it as it would have little effect. Also that the metal powder/gunk/residue is pretty harmful stuff so not to allow contact with skin etc...

Ok Poacher thanks for that, I was wondering if anyone was out there? lol

Ill put it back on now and stop fiddling with it :o

:yes: D2D

End cap? are you sure its a SAK?

Mine has a single grubscrew holding the outer sleeve in place onto the cntral "hub" - which has a bullet hole through its length and large cavities milled through its sides. The central o/d of the hub was mostly milled off to leave an expansion space around the edge of it.

To clean I undo the screw and whack it end on - onto a bench to separate the parts. The first one I tried to separate (fleabags actually) had been left too long and had sort of corroded itself together.

Yes deffo a SAK even says so on the end, made of black coated ally 140mm long and has one end cap screwed at the breech end.

:o D2D

SAK uses a couple of different designs on their mod’s. The one you have should unscrew at both ends and the baffles should come out in one go. If you have not done this for a long time, then it will probably have seized and will require a bit of elbow grease to move it.

G.M.

Edited by Graham M

I dismantled my SAK mods today. One lives on my .22 and hasn't been cleaned for about 800 rounds. That had the usual build-up of waxy, grey gunk. It all scrubs out with a brass-bristle brush.

The SAK from my .17 HMR was literally jam-packed with crud. This mod hasn't been cleaned for the last 700 shots. It all washed off under a hot tap, but it's becoming apparent how unsuitable the SAK is for a fiery little HMR: the baffles are being eroded by the blast. Each baffle has been damaged, with heavy pitting and damage to most of the internal anodising.

Time to invest in a DM80, me thinks.

My local gunsmith said to clean any silencer just spray inside liberally with wd40 then leave upside down to drain

i agree i have a sak mod on my 22 and was advised to clean it in this way by my local gunsmith which i have done and had no probs with it.

please be careful when cleaning as the build up in side is very toxic have heard that some manufacturers are now saying dont clean them because the stuff is so bad ,but i had a sak and used to use a ultasonic cleaner filled with parafin but agree with the comment about using one on a hmr baffles will get eaten away the dm 80 aint much better as that has a alloy baffle stack aswell but i am running one on my cz so time will tell.So gloves and not the kitchen sink to clean your mods if you have to,just looked it up and its jackson rifles that dont recommend people clean a silencer by disassembling them instead just blow compressed air through them or put them in a ultrasonic bath and they are the agents for sak in england!!!!!!

Edited by rubberlegs

please be careful when cleaning as the build up in side is very toxic have heard that some manufacturers are now saying dont clean them because the stuff is so bad ,but i had a sak and used to use a ultasonic cleaner filled with parafin but agree with the comment about using one on a hmr baffles will get eaten away the dm 80 aint much better as that has a alloy baffle stack aswell but i am running one on my cz so time will tell.So gloves and not the kitchen sink to clean your mods if you have to,just looked it up and its jackson rifles that dont recommend people clean a silencer by disassembling them instead just blow compressed air through them or put them in a ultrasonic bath and they are the agents for sak in england!!!!!!

Bought a sak for my hmr last week, there is a jackson leaflet wrapped around it with cleaning instructions, says you only need to un-do one end to drop the baffles out?, i just give it a spray in the end and leave it to dry on an old newspaper.

great idea about the monster in law :stupid::rolleyes:

I had mine apart a year or so ago, maybe more (.22) there was a bit of grey deposit in there, nothing more than that - why are people cleaning them so often? :hmm:

The main reason was I thought my .22 sounded louder than usual, when it was new it had a nice quiet metallic "ting" but now its a muffled "crack" using subs.

It unscrews from one end and I have tried to knock out the baffles but no go!

Like you I havnt cleaned the mod and it must have had almost a 1000 rounds through it.

I know I need my backside kicked and should know better :yes:

:good: D2D

When I stripped mine (pictures are on here somewhere) ther were 2 grub screws on one side and and one on the other.

It was a bit of a pig to get apart but while I had it in bits I sanded the rough edges smooth so it would be easier next time.

I must have put another 1,000 or more through it since then, and there hasn't been another next time yet.

What is the recommended interval?