moderated centre fire rifles , Why ?

Harnser

Just had my first experiance with a moderated .223 and .243 rifle . Took them down on the farm with a friend of mine to zero them in . I was expecting them to be reasonably quiet ,but to my surprise they didnt sound much different to an un moderated rifle . Whats it all about are they just a fad (look at my rifle i have got a toilet roll on the end ) or do they serve a purpose . I have a moderated .22 rim fire and with the right ammo is very quiet ,but with other ammo the moderator hardly works . Do you use special ammo through a moderated rifle or do you use standard cartridges .

When shooting deer its the first shot that counts and no matter how loud it sounds it dosent matter as the beast is dead before it hears the bang . Just curious . Harnser .

I have one on my .22 rimfire and only ever use subs and would never bother shooting it without.

I own one for my .223 and use it if I need to, but take it off and use a muzzle brake when I don't

I have a 6.5 which isn't threaded for a mod and probably never will be.

So for me, in some situations they have a use, but I am not a fan of using them just for the sake of it.

They have pro's and con's on centrefires and for me at least, the con's normally outweigh the pro's.

They have become (IMHO) an obsession in this country, we have escaped it so far, but some shooting forums rarely discuss much else. . .

I would like to predict this thread will go 5 pages at least - lets see

Yes, rifles with supersonic ammo and a mod are still loud, the difference is that there is no boom from the gun.

I find that the crack doesn't seem to travel like the noise from an unmoderated rifle, so there is much less intrusive noise to carry to the surrounding area.

They are a pain sometimes are certainly make the gun annoying to carry, but they do have their good points

Just had my first experiance with a moderated .223 and .243 rifle . Took them down on the farm with a friend of mine to zero them in . I was expecting them to be reasonably quiet ,but to my surprise they didnt sound much different to an un moderated rifle . Whats it all about are they just a fad (look at my rifle i have got a toilet roll on the end ) or do they serve a purpose . I have a moderated .22 rim fire and with the right ammo is very quiet ,but with other ammo the moderator hardly works . Do you use special ammo through a moderated rifle or do you use standard cartridges .

When shooting deer its the first shot that counts and no matter how loud it sounds it dosent matter as the beast is dead before it hears the bang . Just curious . Harnser .

:thanks::lol:

Have you ever stood next to a .223 or .243 unmoded as i think there is one hell of a difference .

Could be a **** mod ?

the difference is that there is no boom from the gun.

I find that the crack doesn't seem to travel like the noise from an unmoderated rifle, so there is much less intrusive noise to carry to the surrounding area.

From behind the rifle they are quieter,but away from it and especially in front,they are still loud.

Some on here will testify to that when scoring on ranges.

Also noticed myself with the noise being less the closer i was to the rifle being shot :lol: (talking a few hundred metres here)

That said,both of my C/F rifles are moderated,and i much prefer it that way,mainly for noise reduction for me,and reduced muzzle flip :thanks:

Just editing to say,that in my experience,the noise reduction was about 2/3rds with the mod>

Edited by grasshopper

No body yet has given me a good enough reason to spend between £500 and a £1000 to moderate my .308 . What with another £1000 plus for a super duper scope that no body can do without . Makes my £350 rifle (second hand ) and £200 scope look like a bit of old shed toot . Oh , by the way i do manage to shoot deer with them . Oh ,and something else ,i carnt remember the last time i missed one . Harnser .

Christ don't get started on scopes we will be here for the rest of the month not just the night :thanks:

I will stick my neck out and say you don't need one for deer stalking, although as has been said for foxing in the middle of night you can see they are handy.

My old mentor of many years ago never had a scope on his rifle . He was the best stalker i have ever seen and allways stalked his deer within 100 yards . He was also a succesful big game hunter and shot most of africas big game ,without a scope . The best scope that i ever used was on a friends rifle . It had no magnification at all and had a massive 60 mill lense on the front and the best double duplex cross hairs i have ever seen . No shake whatsoever and the best low light scope i have ever looked through . Harnser .

No body yet has given me a good enough reason to spend between £500 and a £1000 to moderate my .308

Yes they have. Your hearing.

If you're finding that centrefire rifles aren't loud you really do need to get it checked.

To late ,after 50 years of shooting and abusing my hearing by not wearing ear defenders ,a bit of deafness can come in handy , as they say theres non so deaf as those who dont want to hear . Harnser .

:thanks::lol:

Have you ever stood next to a .223 or .243 unmoded as i think there is one hell of a difference .

Me too!

Without the mod the bang is literally deafening, ears ringing, boom feels like a whack in the chest and in the dead of night a rumbling echo travelling around the whole area!

With mod the bang is more like a puh-tssshhhhh kind of sound... yes its still a bang but it's so much less dramatic and no booming echo rolling around like thunder, just a whipcrack echo off nearby trees at worst. No ringing ears, recoil reduced, muzzle flip reduced, much easier to keep your sight picture throughout to see reaction to shot etc...

(.243 + Wildcat Predator8 with .243 baffles)

No body yet has given me a good enough reason to spend between £500 and a £1000 to moderate my .308

These figures seem a bit steep? Granted I didn't bother getting mine re-proofed, but £215 for the mod, plus £90 for threading, machining the delrin bush on the mod and making a thread protector.

£70 to get cut and screwed. £210 for a T8. That's less than £300 where I come from. If you're being quoted the figures you mention you're getting ripped off matey.

You'll never get rid of the supersonic crack but that's well away from the muzzle. You stand a reasonable distance away from the rifle and all you'll hear is a crack but you won't know which direction its come from. there is no BANG like with an unmoderated rifle.

There's more to hearing damage than simple deafness :lol: Lovely conditions such as Tinitus can come on after one loud nosie or as a member on here found an ear infection :lol:

It's more of a general point I was making to them new to shooting :good:

I totally agree with Johns comments, after years of shooting without protecting my hearing I suffer from Tinitus and cannot stress the importance of using protection to anyone new to shooting, you may feel awkward wearing muffs in the company of old time shooters but believe me you dont want your ears ringing and humming when your trying to sleep at night!!

Wearing ear protection is now the accepted thing but even up to just a few years ago everyone was trying to be discreet, using little bits of foam plugs etc nowadays the norm is multicoloured electronic defenders, money very well spent imo.

:good: D2D

Reduction of felt recoil

Reduction of Muzzle Flip

Noise reduction

health & Safety in the field

Hearing protection

want any more?

Yes please .

Reduction of felt recoil , recoil not a prblem to me .

Reduction of muzzle flip , For what reason , every time i shoot a deer my head is up away from the scope and rifle straight away looking for it ,not through the limited field of vision of a scope .

Noise reduction , I really dont think that there is that much reduction in the noise level .

Health and safty in the field , not to sure what you mean about this one ? .

Hearing protection , There are many less expensive means of hearing protection . Harnser .

Hanser - why did you bother asking the questions, as it is obvous that you've no intention of getting one.

People have given you multiple reasons why they own one and you just seem hell bent on shooting them down in flames

Also where the hell did you get your figures from for buying a mod and getting a screwcut

£150 screwcut (Most expensive) and £500 Sound mod (most expensive)=£650 :good:

Edited by tulkyuk