Does a moderator affect accuracy?

pbickerd

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a CZ452 for both target shooting at a rifle club and potentially hunting. If I get one with a moderator, will this hurt me on the range shooting targets? Clearly the moderator will slightly reduce the velocity of the bullet but assuming I zero with the mod in place will it still be just as accurate as one with no moderator? I will be shooting on both a 50 and 100m range.

Thanks all,

Paul

Using a moderator does not affect accuracy if fitted correcty. If a rifle is sighted in with a moderator attached, there is a possibility that if you shoot the rifle without the mod' it could affect accuracy owing to the different weight and balance.

I have used mod's on all my rifles for many years without any problems.

EDIT.

My point is/was that if you have a moderator on a rifle, then leave it on all the time!

Edited by steve_b_wales

I disagree

I feel that a mod on a gun with recoil helps accuracy because it reduces the muzzle flip and recoil making shot follow through easier and therefore better shooting technique can be obtained. Can also reduce the tendancy for flinching at the shot if this is a tendancy you have.

steve b

Steve, what you're saying is not that mods increase the accuracy of the gun, but of the shooter. :yp:

Fitting a mod shouldn't have any effect on the accuracy (so long as the gun had a good crown to start with and the mod is fitted well), but the point of aim between mod and no mod will be different. When people find that the mod has increased the accuracy of their gun is when the rifle they have had a poor quality crown to start with. B)

I agree this is what I am saying yes. Either way the end result would be the same as accuracy would increase. I guess that technically you are correct that if the gun was held in a vice but that is not how we shoot. I would say that mods have an overall effect on real life accuracy for the reasons stated.

All the best

Steve b

MY CZ425 with eley subs and a mod is more accurate than my gunsmith says is possible with 22lr. It makes half inch groups at 60 yards on a good day.

If I take off the mod, the POI rises a bit.

Your gunsmith obviously doesn't sell .22lr Anschutz! B) Mine shoots one whole groups at 100 yards :yp:

MY CZ425 with eley subs and a mod is more accurate than my gunsmith says is possible with 22lr. It makes half inch groups at 60 yards on a good day.

If I take off the mod, the POI rises a bit.

Your gunsmith obviously doesn't sell .22lr Anschutz! :) Mine shoots one whole groups at 100 yards B)

Please take a pic next time you do this and be sure to post it :yp:

LOL

Of course, some people are more magnificent than others in the shooting game. maybe you were at the Olympics OLY.... Is that what 'OLY' stands for maybe.

Since I have just had two glasses of wine with my dinner, I'm going to call Bull wot not on that one. I deny that you can do that with 22lr old chap. Yo maybe could with an inherently accurate centre fire round but not the old 22 eley, which is what I mentioned. 7p a round mass production ammo doesn't do that kind of accuracy....

Of course, you could be joking - yes you must be - sorry that I took it so seriously.

:yp:

Edited by Evilv

Magman, you're not far from Appleton rifle club, I know a few guys who shoot regularly there who shoot much better than I do, go take a peek. :yp:

Oly never in my life will i ever see a one hole group its just not possible by rifle or man two many factors involved :)

How many time's ive heard this before but if you would like to bet a weeks wages on a 5 shot group through the same hole then your on B)

Maybe by one hole group he means the shots are so close that there is just one big hole on the bull?

If thats the case I did that today with an Anchutz owned by someone at my club. We stuck a sticker the size of a 2p over the bull and in 20 shots there was just a big hole there in the middle of the target. This was bench rest at 50m so not impressive at all. Maybe this is what he means?

To re-inforce the point that a true one shot group is not possible, the guy sitting next to me had his rifle fully rested, back and front and was very close to a one hole group, but there were still some strays. As you say, the ammo just isnt up for it and then there are weather conditions etc..

Last time he was boasting about how his .243 shot 1 hole groups with factory ammo,straight out of the box...........few weeks later it was up for sale.

If you can show me that ad I would very much appreciate it. Never had it up for sale. :yp:

Tut Tut Rob..didn,t figure you for a gambler

Only when im backing a winner geoff B)

To re-inforce the point that a true one shot group is not possible, the guy sitting next to me had his rifle fully rested, back and front and was very close to a one hole group, but there were still some strays. As you say, the ammo just isnt up for it and then there are weather conditions etc..

Only ever believe what you see with your own eye's :yp:

To much bull shi t on the internet

Maybe this is what he means?

I think he did - but i'm on for a weeks wages too, if youcan show me a single .224" hole in a piece of paper after taking 5 shots with a .22lr at 100yrds.

what if only 1 hits the paper.

That means you were probably holding the wrong end of the gun after the first shot :yp: