Carts for Mossberg 935?

Dexter

I've just got my shiney new Mossberg 935 S/A (well... not shiney cos it's camo), and I've hit stumbling block number one. I bought the Mossberg because I've had a pump-action for many years and it has taken loads of abuse and never missed a beat.

The problem is that it won't cycle the mechanism with any cartridge less than 36g. It does say that it is chambered for 3 and a 3.5" magnums, but I did assume it would operate with smaller cartridges too! Still, I don't mind paying a bit more for carts, but no more than about £250/1000. I need a decent pidgeon load (7's or 7.5's I guess), but in this 36g+ weight category.

Any recommendations?

Dex

Yeah, 32g will not cycle the action; I tried some 32g 6's (high velocity stuff) and they were the same. I haven't tried using a tighter choke, as I really do prefer to use open chokes anyway.

It has had only 10 rounds through it (that's all the 36g cartridges I had), so I guess it may free off a little after some use, but I doubt it'll make that much difference.

I haven't tried 34g cartridges, but 36's go through just fine.

I'll go see my local RFD on wednesday and buy an assortment to see what works best, but any tips would be appreciated!

Dex

Dexter I don't know the Mossberg but I do shoot a semi-auto on a regular basis.

My Beretta 391 is also chambered for 3" or 3.5" inch heavy load cartridges although I have never used one in it.

My everyday cartridge for pigeon and general rough shooting is a 2.5" 30 gram load of No 6 and on the odd time I have shot clays it was 28 gram 7.5,s.

While I cannot say I have never had a jam, in the 4 years I have owned it they could be counted on one hand.

I am sure your Mossberg should also cycle the full range of cartridges and if it isn't doing so, I think it is back to the retailer pronto.

Just got off the phone to York Guns...

They say that the gun is designed around 3.5" Magnums, and therefore it needs a heavy loads to cycle. I wouldn't mind this so much if I had phoned up and asked for a Mossberg 935, but I didn't! I asked for a reasonably priced camo semi-auto 3-shot for pigeons.

Is this one maybe not fit for the purpose?

They said that they would call me back with reference to swapping it to something more suitable, but obviously my 935 is now a used gun :lol: . I got it on Friday.

Dexter

Ive just visited www.mossberg.com

Reading the blerb reveals that the gun has been designed around 3" & 3.1/2" shot shells.

This I think proves your point that the gun is not fit for your purpose. However proving that the gun is not fit for purpose with the sale of goods act in mind may be a different matter. You would need to prove that you specified pigeon shooting, and therefore had been mis-sold the gun by the supplier.

It may be that the supplier is reasonable, and will accept the gun back against a suitable alternative.

I wish you well, please keep us posted.

webber

No heavy handedness was used or required. I received a prompt call back from Dave Thompson (manager I think), who has offered to exchange the gun against any other, even if they have to order it in. As I've chosen to go up to a Beretta, he has also agreed to take an additional gun in part exchange to help me out with the increased cost.

I can't fault service like that. Wherever the misunderstanding came from, they're taking care of me, and I thank them for it.

I would take it back to em and say" a good gun shop gives good advice and ill have my money back or swap it with out loosing out because its second hand as their advice was ****". ask him if he can tell the difference between a goose and a pigeon.

Well if your happy with that service from the manager then, well thats ok with me.

Fair enough and your right every one makes mistakes but these gun shops today give or take a few will sell you anything if you dont know what you need. they will even sell ya a left hander if you cant tell the difference because they cannot. lucky for me, i had a few years in the guntrade, but still bump into newcomers quite regularly that have been led astray. But you are correct in saying if they will correct their mistake without you sucking the second hand price on the chop then they are providing you the correct service and long may it continue.

But on return i would still ask him if he can tell the difference between a goose and a pigeon or the member of staff that you delt with just so they get the message.

And i also think the Beretta is a good move.

Yer, you need to fire a box of 25 3" or 3.5" magnum cartridges through it first. This will shake it up and then fire about 100 36g then it should be fine to cycle any load. I would go for 23/4 inch clay and pigeon loads though as semi's with longer chambers cycle better with longer shells, also a decent bit of brass on as well.