22 hornet

hi i use a Cz 527 American 22 hornet i have had it for about 6 years now

im using Winchester 45gr hollows ammo at the moment but i would like to start reloading my own ammo

but i was told by my local gun shop that’s its not a good round to start off with

as it’s a hard round to get right. so is my gun shop right is this a hard round to get right?

and what do i need to start me off ?

thanks for you help ant...

I was under the impression that modern hornets were using a bore of .224 now? and it was only older hornet using a bore of .223?

One potential issue with the hornet as fister says is run out. This can be prevented by using Forster dies which have a collar that makes sure the relationship between projectile and case is correct when the bullet is seated.

Also be aware that the cases are very thin, so lube denting them is very easy. using an aerosol/wax based lube helps prevent this. Hornady produce a good one.

As mentioned Lil'Gun is an excellent powder for the hornet and have found great accuracy using 13grains of it with a 35grain hornady b/t. However this is a .224 projectile not .223, so check what bore yours is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just been looking at your post, he hornet is my favoure rifle i have been reloading for 15 years + if you are serious about reloading what I did was, buy the lee loading book it explaines all the basic steps very clearly.

I then went on to by a single station press with a set of neck sizing collet dieswith a factory crip added, I have used various powders over the years but for the last ten or so I use 8 Grains of Vihtavuori N110 powder this gives me fairly good coverage out to 150 yard and sub 1 inch at 100 yard.

The start up is the most expensive I bought the lee anniversary kit has everything that you will need then all you have to do is say what calibre of die you want that will determin that you get the right case trimer gage in the kit.

I now reload each round for about 16 pence 16 pound a hundred, ( so keep all your spent ammo cases).

One other thing once you have studied reloading for a bit do not buy in the uk as i get all my parts from the lee web site in the states, If i can remember the hole kit cost me less than 150 us doller or just over one hunred pounds, at the price of shop ammo you will recover your cost in no time.

There are load of reloading kit of different makes so there is a lot of choise out there, plus one other thing i have put on my licence provision for 500 expanding bullet heads, as that is the only part that has to be registered on your certificate. as you will soon fill up your ammo slots if you buy small amounts.

Regards,

mft 135.

• 2 weeks later...