first post

geo123

hi guys as im new here ill introduce myself

im 22 in glasgow moving out to lanark soon

was into airguns and that b4 i got into women then it just frazzeled out

my first gun was the all so famous "gat"(i was 9 it was great)

then went on to the g10

then at the end i had a bsa metor .22

still got it but as im moving out to the country i was wanting something new

to start with for hitting paper but later to put food on the plate

cant beat a nice rabbit

i dont want to go shooting at the mo for rabbits as it would just be cruel

im a big lad of 15st and 6ft

so what would be a good gun that i could start with and not need to change

and nothing to pricy mabey tops of 300 quid

was looking at a bsa lightning and adding a theoben ram

dont even know if a spring is good for what im wanting as i know nothing about co2 and also the scuba tank guns i read about

i only know of springs could someone please tell me the benefits of these other guns if any and a good recommendation for me

thanks for looking and for any replys

hi guys as im new here ill introduce myself

im 22 in glasgow moving out to lanark soon

was into airguns and that b4 i got into women then it just frazzeled out

my first gun was the all so famous "gat"(i was 9 it was great)

then went on to the g10

then at the end i had a bsa metor .22

still got it but as im moving out to the country i was wanting something new

to start with for hitting paper but later to put food on the plate

cant beat a nice rabbit

i dont want to go shooting at the mo for rabbits as it would just be cruel

im a big lad of 15st and 6ft

so what would be a good gun that i could start with and not need to change

and nothing to pricy mabey tops of 300 quid

was looking at a bsa lightning and adding a theoben ram

dont even know if a spring is good for what im wanting as i know nothing about co2 and also the scuba tank guns i read about

i only know of springs could someone please tell me the benefits of these other guns if any and a good recommendation for me

thanks for looking and for any replys

FILL IN YOUR PROFILE

welcome to the site geo,as to the gun of choice ,i shoot a HW80 here, not what you guys would call normal 12 ftlb, mine can run anywhere from 20 - 28 as tested , as springer's go one of the best in my opinion, and a reasonable buy there from what i gather , as to the gas/co2's not too sure but am told theoben are a leader ,but more bucks for your bang :thumbs: ,maybe a trip to your local gun dealer to see whats on the shelf new and used ,good luck getting back in the game .

Martin

For the £300 mark you could get:-

PCP - Spitfire carbine HF combo and pump from JSR - £308

Springer - AA TX200 combo again from JSR - £299

The lightning is a basic gun compared to the TX and is simply not in the same league. The only downside to the TX is it's fairly heavy.

The Spitfire is a cracking little pcp for the money and would probably make the better hunter of the two due to ease of cocking in the field.

Best bet though as always is to go along to a local club and try a few guns before buying anything. Have a look here for a club near you.

http://www.bfta.org/MAINPAGE.html and click CLUBS/REGIONS

Hi geo, right here we go, if your adament in buying a springer ie the lightning you wont go far wrong, however if your thinking about upgrading it to a gas ram, by the time you buy the gun, gas ram and pay for the labour for the conversion you would probably be better off in saving another £100 or so and buying a theoben fenman as this already has a gas ram system and the gun itself is absolutley awesome, im in the process of buying one myself. with regards to pcp this is the road i would advise you to go down for hunting as pre charged guns are recoilless and very quiet with a silencer fitted and there are loads of pre charge option in the £300 bracket such as, the webley raider 1 or 2, bsa hornet, air arms s200, and i believe logun are about to introduce a single shot pcp, with regards to getting it charged you can buy a manual pump for approx £130 or a small gas cylinder for about the same price however, if you have a fairly local gun shop they will charge the gun for about £1. Hope this helps and good luck in getting back into the sport :thumbs:

Don't do it.

The S16 is a big pile of steaming droppings. VERY prone to jamming leaving umpteen pellets up the spout, has an awful trigger, has a reach designed for a gibbon - there's no way joe average will fit this gun enough to be stable, and snags on clothes each time you raise the gun. It's also not very air eficient.

The very latest shrouded barrel versions are reportedly more reliable - but to be honest they couldn't be much worse. Virtually every S16 ever made has probably been back to the factory for fixing. Buy one at your peril, and if you do make sure the receipt is safely stored for the warranty work.

Don't do it.

The S16 is a big pile of steaming droppings. VERY prone to jamming leaving umpteen pellets up the spout, has an awful trigger, has a reach designed for a gibbon - there's no way joe average will fit this gun enough to be stable, and snags on clothes each time you raise the gun. It's also not very air eficient.

The very latest shrouded barrel versions are reportedly more reliable - but to be honest they couldn't be much worse. Virtually every S16 ever made has probably been back to the factory for fixing. Buy one at your peril, and if you do make sure the receipt is safely stored for the warranty work.

So ,if i understand your thinking :thumbs: ,to make things clear :D ,not to over complicate things :D ,

just an opinion ;) ,not a biased thought :blink: ,if ive read this right :D , geo ,your choice dosent meet with approval :D:D

pick another ,you asked for advice , i recomend you take it ,go on get an HW

:P

Martin

was lookin again scince the logun is out i just read some good reviews about the service and stuff

did hold it in local gun shop and it was a heavy gun

but is that not a good thing better built

also the lifetime warrenty seems like another good thing

but im taking advice and staying away

next choice

an AAS200 with the multishot adaptor

a scope

a moderator

i see jsr doing a combo for 280 (gun and scope)

what is a good moderator for this gun

is it a good gun

does the multishot adaptor work well

could someone also advise me on what kind of dive bottle would be a good investment and what connections i would need

many thanks

its a long road but im sure we all walked it when starting, thanks for all the advice

I have the S200 and I find it just right for bunny bashing and ratting. It's sturdy enough for general use, yet it's light enough to carry around. I never got round to getting the magazine. I use a stirrup pump instead of a diver's bottle as you don't need to add any special insurance onto your car for transporting it.

I would stick with the Air Arms moderator. My scope is a Zenit A2, but any decent scope such as a Nikko Sterling will do. No need to go for really high magnification as its unnecessary for an airgun. Better to have a wide field of view. Don't buy one of the cheapo scopes as they are rubbish and will only spoil your shooting enjoyment.

My son has the AA S200 with the magazine conversion in .177. Its a great litle gun, we do a lot of shooting from a land rover and its much easier to handle than my Superten and its every bit as accurate.

We fill it with a divers bottle, this is very fast and of great benifit given that you get around 70 shots from the S200 :/ :yp: :yp:

It may do the 70 shots you state but 30 or so of those will likely be down on power and therefore out on POI. After 70 shots it should be ready to vent. A typical S200 does 40 shots in .177 and 60 in .22.

The S200 is a decent gun apart from all the plastic parts in important areas such as bolt and front barrel support (really a stock support from the barrel as the barrel requires no support but the stock does). Yes you can buy metal replacements but then you could buy a better gun in the first case if spending all that extra £££. If you can live with the plastic then it's only real fault is the cocking pin is a rolled steel affair which has a habbit of breaking. Cheap enough to fix when it happens. There are a few reports of the magasine ripping probe o-rings (mainly in .177) - most don't though and work fine. All in a decent gun for the money.

AAs own silencer is perfectly adequate. Anything better (and more £££) is not going to improve anything in real world terms.

As for a bottle, get a 300 bar and the biggest you can afford unless space is a premium or you have a bad back - they're heavy. It costs the same to fill a big one as a little one at most dive shops. Do check that a local shop can fill to 300 bar first though - not all can. Any gun shop will sell you a hose and guage for airgun use (there are two types dependant upon the bottle you have) and the S200 (or whatever) specific fittings will come with the gun. Crawfords in S****horpe possibly do the best deals on bottles. They have a small ad in the back of the airgun comics and will post.