Pigeon Shooting

tomleatel

Terry

I’m ex-Bexleyheath myself. In your situation again, here is what I’d do.

Take a paid day with a guide. I went quite early on with Anglia Sporting, or try Will Beasley http://www.pigeonshooter.com/pages/prices.htm (I haven’t used this myself). You’ll learn loads. It’s pricey, but a really good investment. It might make a good Birthday/Christmas present from the family.

There is a pigeon syndicate that I know of in Kent. However, although my mum is very good friends with the wife of a member, I can’t get near it. I’d forget looking for a syndicate in the South. They’ll find you.

What about joining the Kent wildfowlers? I believe that they have some pigeon land. You’ll get a mentor and you’ll be among shooters who might offer to take you out decoying.

Think again about eating what you shoot. Woodpigeon is delicious and I for one think that we shouldn’t waste what we shoot, serious pest or not. I don’t shoot fox or crows by the way and magpie Alaska is an acquired taste.

You are thinking on the right lines though. I like the fact that you are asking about insurance. Many newcomers wouldn’t. Most PW members will quietly tut at any faux-pas and ignore it; some on here feel the need to post-back.

Best of luck.

Join BASC,phone up your Regional Officer and ask him to put you in touch with a competent amateur pigeon shooter and get him to show you the ropes. He probably won`t actually take you shooting but he can illustrate all the techniques and equipment. You`ll know a lot more after doing that than you do now and it won`t cost an arm and a leg.

I`d happily offer to do that for you but I live in Portsmouth. The offer still stands if all else fails.

Nick.

• 2 weeks later...
Most of that i may get away with, but the parking car thing is not a good one for me...

If i bought home a dead pigeon she would FREAK!!!

Took me long enough to get the gun in the house in the first place...

Your not on your own, her indoors told me if i get a gun she was going, so I got 3, dam, she`s still ere, as I like foxes I sometimes leave the woodies for them, they always find `em

Take a sharp knife and a few plastic bags with you.

Shoot the pigeon, peel the skin/feathers off the breast and carefully cut the breast meat off and place it in the plastic bags.

Dispose of the remaining carcase so as not to offend anyone, or draw attention to where you have been shooting.

I have found that by showing people "oven ready" meat, they are less likely to "freak out" than when they see the feathers/fur/heads/eyes/ etc/., of the complete creature.

• 5 weeks later...

I am a new pigeon shooter. I use a .22 Theoben (non FAC) from a hide using decoys and I pace out the decoys so that the likely landing spot is 25 -30 yards from the hide. I must admit that absolute clean kills are only about 7/10. 'Woodies' are tough cookies and with their jerky movement it is always possible that the kill won't be absolutely clean from my admittedly limited experience.

I do seem to end up pulling the birds head off when I despatch wounded birds.

In respect of the butchery side of the job....I have a pack of 'craft knives' in my backpack and pluck the breast and slice out the two pieces of breast meat. I take a plastic Chinese Takeaway lidded container for field storage.

I felt a bit guilty about not using all of the bird but see that I am not alone in that.

I place the de-breasted carcass(es) on fence posts and Mr Buzzard has usually cleaved them down to nothing by the next day!

Woodpigeon breast is delicious - I could never throw it away.....Ever!!! :lol:

Best

redkite

i want to go pigeon shooting tomorow on some stubble, i dont have a hide, or decoys, but i can use the natural cover there as a hide, can you guys suggest what i could do to ensure success?

i was thinking about sprinkling some grain or oats

ok im buying a few decoys and some camo netting tomorow along with some 32g 6s, that should keep me busy for the afternoon!

Edited by dogfox

Hows it going lads......

Been out banging pigeons a few times now and am having difficulty gettin the bird down......

They all seem to be flying very high and i don't think they can see the decoys..... Im using 10 full boddied decoys....5 head up and 5 head down.... thinking of investing or making a magnet...... Do yous think it will bring them down.....

Hows it going lads......

Been out banging pigeons a few times now and am having difficulty gettin the bird down......

They all seem to be flying very high and i don't think they can see the decoys..... Im using 10 full boddied decoys....5 head up and 5 head down.... thinking of investing or making a magnet...... Do yous think it will bring them down.....

Firstly, YES they can see your deeks, so no probs there!

But, do you:- Do a reccy to see if the birds are feeding on a particular field

Work out where the flightlines are by watching to see where the birds are coming from and going to,

Setting your hide up under or near flightlines

Setting deeks out to suit the wind direction/sun/surroundings in any one of the accepted patterns.

If you can answer yes to all of these than I'm stuck for what to advise. If not then you need to do some or all of the above!

You could also read Tips and Tricks on here.

Good luck