How much to pay for rough shooting?

wildfowl

Being a Sussex lad myself I can vouch that down here permissions are generally, not exclusively however, tied up with small fee paying syndicates.

I rang loads of farms and found that local pillers of the community had organised a rough shoot with colleagues and were paying the local landowner just for rough shooting, so of course the likes of myself who won't didn't get a look in.

I was lucky that I had connections and have estates to shoot on but in general it's all sown up down here and sadly money talks.

7.5 acres?? That's a total of less than 200mx200m by my reckoning - most arable fields are bigger than that these days.

Maybe ok if it's got a couple of hedgerows with bunnies, but otherwise you're not going to shoot much off it. A bottle of scotch at Christmas would be more than sufficient "payment".

Maybe a good starting point but keep looking for something better/bigger (try going beating at a few of the syndicates around you - a good way to find pigeon/vermin shooting).

:rolleyes:

Well, I've been following this thread with interest.

I've been down exactly the same road as Wildfowl. Too many knockbacks all gets a bit wearing after a while.

It is extremely diffcult to find land to shoot in this part of the country. And very easy for those that live elsewhere to make such statements as "don't bother, my gardens bigger, not worth the steam off my p1$$" All really helpful.......

So instead of putting the guy down, why not offer some useful advice?

Say he gets the land for £50 a year.

Yes, it may go against what people should be doing. IE, not paying, you are clearing his vermin after all!

But, get the land. Then, it will look far better when he goes knocking for some more, to say "I already look after some land in such and such".

This at least gives you some credibilty in front of strangers.

Maybe even try the adjoining lands.

I recently just got permission on some land, just by chatting to a mechanic friend, whose sister keeps horses.

Long story short, 6 acres, get rid of the bunnies. She signed the permission slip to cover everything, just in case!!

This post is not a dig at anyone, just trying to give some useful advice.

Do what you think is right Wildfowl.

• 3 weeks later...

I am new here but, have been shooting a long time ,all i will say only you know how much you want it ,

How would you feel if you lost this chance of your own place to relax if another shooter offers £100 ,

Belive me Shooting ground will become harder to find , If for no other reson than "Legislation " and Insurance , Just look up " Coprporate Manslaughter " a land owner will think twice over shooting issues , With out going into a "Political Rant" its NOT us or the Farmer/ landowner that will dictate our future ,

Listen to both your heart and head , Its Your SHOUT !! POW .

I say get it. Get written permission incl. any live stock or anything of value thats on the farm in your permission then look for other land showing the permission.

As for price, haggle, start low and add a bottle to it. Then when you go for more land only admit you pay any thing only if you have to then tell them you pay about 60% less than what you do.

Hey Willdfowl , its a while since you posted , lots of folk here would be interested what was the outcome of the small parcel of land you were after !!

On this subject , I state the obvious , you cant learn good hunting shooting with out a place to shoot over , idealy with the peace of mind that its your "baby" ,

I give you an instance regarding myself > 40 odd year .s ago I subbed my labours to an Agricultural contractor , he worked for most Farmers /Landowners within a 35 mile radius , , Being a "cheeky B, I all ways asked could I shoot , even offering a few " Free" hours with the macines , [ usualy ditching on a 360 ] , I got plenty for free , Over the years syndicates offered "plenty cash" , and slowly I lost most ,

One in particular had fantastic roost shooting , plus flight ponds and a woodcock flight line , The guy offered it to me for £ 350 as a syndicate had done , [ showed me the letter ] I said NO , got plenty .

Boy do I regret that now !!! each time I drive past I see birds everywhere , [ A good shoot and flight line NEVER changes ] Now I have 300 acres , on my doorstep, , I dont pay for it now but , if I had to I would , I have shot here for over 50 years , To lose it would "break my heart " I have seen the Offers made by syndicates to buy in , Thank GOD its mine till I die ,

So look after what you have , and those still searching , NO amount of letter writing will match the " personal" aproach , they want to see who they are dealing with , Farmers have Favorites , be it human , or stock !! Be bold be funny crack a joke , but most of all " Be yourself" .

As this resession starts to bite folk who have Shooting will now look to take the "COIN", belive me , a bottle at Xmas looks the same as the others , Cash in the pocket is sweet ,

I have just helped with the insurance paper work here , I see for the first time > Risk assesment forms introduced , > To Quote > Does anyone shoot on your land? see the premiums rise , !!

I dont want to sound like gloom and doom on early posts but , the writing is on the wall , I stopped being a mamber of BASC because of the political stance , saying they were wrong , > Now I eat my words , its not nice to be humbled , but the truth can not be ignored ,

Again a long but , PASSIONATE post , I love my fieldsports , but complacency will, be the undoing ,

I will close now , If any offence was caused I am sorry , Just my view , I shoot almost daily , for how long depends not just on me , BUT , also the attitude of others ,

Thanks for allowing me to post on here , Any comments will be thoughtfully mulled over ,

Cheers POW!

It is worth clarifying whether you are paying for all the shooting rights to the land or just paying for the right to go and shoot when you want but others may well also be able to shoot the same land.

In respect to how much to pay I would say take the lead from the farmer he will already have a figure in mind and humour him by telling him you will need to ok it with the wife first and your mates, then get back on the forum.

It is easy for people who have land to shoot to say don't pay but if you don't have the contacts, the time, the money to waste on diesel then go for it. It is your money at the end of the day and if you are happy you can afford it then do it and forget what anyone else says.

Hey Willdfowl , its a while since you posted , lots of folk here would be interested what was the outcome of the small parcel of land you were after !!

On this subject , I state the obvious , you cant learn good hunting shooting with out a place to shoot over , idealy with the peace of mind that its your "baby" ,

I give you an instance regarding myself > 40 odd year .s ago I subbed my labours to an Agricultural contractor , he worked for most Farmers /Landowners within a 35 mile radius , , Being a "cheeky B, I all ways asked could I shoot , even offering a few " Free" hours with the macines , [ usualy ditching on a 360 ] , I got plenty for free , Over the years syndicates offered "plenty cash" , and slowly I lost most ,

One in particular had fantastic roost shooting , plus flight ponds and a woodcock flight line , The guy offered it to me for £ 350 as a syndicate had done , [ showed me the letter ] I said NO , got plenty .

Boy do I regret that now !!! each time I drive past I see birds everywhere , [ A good shoot and flight line NEVER changes ] Now I have 300 acres , on my doorstep, , I dont pay for it now but , if I had to I would , I have shot here for over 50 years , To lose it would "break my heart " I have seen the Offers made by syndicates to buy in , Thank GOD its mine till I die ,

So look after what you have , and those still searching , NO amount of letter writing will match the " personal" aproach , they want to see who they are dealing with , Farmers have Favorites , be it human , or stock !! Be bold be funny crack a joke , but most of all " Be yourself" .

As this resession starts to bite folk who have Shooting will now look to take the "COIN", belive me , a bottle at Xmas looks the same as the others , Cash in the pocket is sweet ,

I have just helped with the insurance paper work here , I see for the first time > Risk assesment forms introduced , > To Quote > Does anyone shoot on your land? see the premiums rise , !!

I dont want to sound like gloom and doom on early posts but , the writing is on the wall , I stopped being a mamber of BASC because of the political stance , saying they were wrong , > Now I eat my words , its not nice to be humbled , but the truth can not be ignored ,

Again a long but , PASSIONATE post , I love my fieldsports , but complacency will, be the undoing ,

I will close now , If any offence was caused I am sorry , Just my view , I shoot almost daily , for how long depends not just on me , BUT , also the attitude of others ,

Thanks for allowing me to post on here , Any comments will be thoughtfully mulled over ,

Cheers POW!

That is a superb post, with oodles of good sense and advice for us all

Don

How much you pay should depend on its worth to you. Small parcles of land can be very productive if they are in the right place or hold a lot of game. I used to shoot a small wet meadow with a gorse patch , a small copse , tall hedgerow , very muddy ditchin the middle of it and a wide dyke along one boundary. Total about 10 acres. That meadow provided me with hundreds of hours of enjoyment as a teenager producing lots of pigeons , rabbits , snipe , woodcock along with a few mallard , teal and pheasants. There was often the chance of a goose too , but I was never lucky. The dyke held some good pike fishing and I shot 100s of rooks there too. All for the price of a few brace of birds each winter.

If you realy want it then pay a reasonable price ( up to £60 perhaps ) other wise look elsewhere.